Lift gate for utv?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I am looking at at a used cab over box truck with a 16' box. It has a Maxon 1650lb lift gate. I have never owned/ used a lift gate before. The gate is only 30" deep. Could I weld outriggers off the platform to support the front end of my rzr. The rzr weighs ~1000lbs. If I back it on the platform the majority of the weight would be on the platform. I am thinking 2" box to extend the platform. I know I could build it but don't know if the lifting mechanism could lift with the weight extended that far from the rear of truck. Does anyone have experience with gates?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

colorado matt

Adventurer
I think that would work just fine .... you are talking about just loading it ... not transporting it on the lift ...correct??? ..... downside for the naysayers might be harder on the pump ... and if equipped with a low voltage thermal switch it may pop off if current gets to high for pump motor ... but that usually means it has not been properly maintained and may need service anyway ..... the gates are quite handy .... Matt

edit ... troubleshooting guide for that unit available online has a couple of good test you could run to check the lift .... you will need a pressure gauge with correct fittings .... replace hose with gauge and see what pressure is when raising .... don't know what it should beexactly but that info is out there .... 2500 to 3000 comes to mind but validate that

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Sweet, I have other options for loading but this would be the safest. Thanks for the help

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Two removable ladder style ramps bolted to the gate should be more than enough for you without overstressing the pump. You could probably buy a set of aluminum ramps and bolt those on there with some reinforcing steel and you'll have regular ramps you can use for truck as well. Make sure all the pivot points and what not are properly greased and/or lubricated. Is amazing how much lift gate maintenance gets ignored. Be prepared to replace a lot of grease zerks since those are probably clogged with dirt and rust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior