Lifespan of a Whynter fm-62dz

Elfmaze

Observer
Was thinking about buying one of these over an rtic chest. I suppose if it lives 5+ years it will be worth the $750. But I'm reading a lot of dead units. I have placed life span around 1 to 3 years with some lasting five years? Accurate?

It will live full time in a road van

Elfmaze

Observer
I have strict size requirements and wanted a dual zone. The dometic 65dz is a close contender... But I don't like the games with pricing and the freezer section/fridge balance looks like a pain. The Whynter looked a bit easier to maintain too... Unless that is a false idea.

Elfmaze

Observer
Would you consider the other fridges a better longtevity? Repairability is important as shipping something in for repairs jack's the price way up

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, those are the top reputations for longevity.

No repairs should be needed at all.

And what maintenance, besides monitoring and keeping clean?

john61ct

Adventurer
I would only get other brands if saving more than half the cost.

And look for secondhand first.

A few icepaks and a cooler, there's your second zone :cool:

Elfmaze

Observer
Maitnence I would expect in a bumped around off-road rig would be light electrical (connections etc) possibly replacing a temp switch, and up to a compressor swap and coolant charge.

Elfmaze

Observer
I tried calling whynter yesterday and got a whole bunch of voicemail ?. Also need to verify that these fridges can take and hold ice in emergency if it fails in the middle of a trip

rickc

Adventurer
Elfmaz: All fridge freezers can hold ice and I think they all have drain plugs (my Dometic does). I've seen some guys use freezer packs; if the freezer is big enough and it's not full of food a freezer pack will assist the freezer, especially if its a smaller one that is taken out of the truck and moved around camp. Freezer packs/ice defeat the purpose a little as they take up space but at least freezer packs are less messy.

Elfmaze

Observer
I did finally get through to Whynter and they verified that ice can be used in emergency as long as the drain stays open. I ended up buying a FM-62DZ, because ....ice cream.

I'm sure I didn't get a great price on it, and I broke the golden rule and bought an extended warrantee for it through amazon... But for $25 a year for four years it gives me all repair costs covered including shipping(huge sending a fridge to CA from Pittsburgh) and I verified parts are relatively cheap and available for an attempted home repair after the four years is up. Fingers crossed it all works out for the thing and it gives us a nice long trouble free life!

wileybyrd

Posting this here since it's regarding the same fridge and it's a recent thread.
I found a sweet deal on a Whynter FM-62DZ. Seller claims it was hardly used. I've asked seller to confirm it's still functioning, but it sat unused for 2 years. Does leaving a fridge sitting - not powered on - for that long damage it?

Elfmaze

Observer
Updating this thread in case someone else comes along. The fridge is still happily chugging along 250+ days a year 24/7 for almost two years now. Biggest advantage Ive found to it besides trips is having somewhere to dump perishable groceries if i'm not heading right home. Forget about the steaks and frozen pizza in the van when running to the house in the pouring rail. no problem!

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Congratulations. I have an EdgeStar, which is a rebadged Whynter, that I bought in 2009. It's been all over the back country, and when it's at home it's in constant use as a freezer. It's been running almost constantly now for 11 years without a hiccup. I wish I could say the same for my Engel which has never been off road.

Reactions: plh

offero

Desert rat
Just came across this thread as I am looking for a dual zone myself. I've had a Dometic CF-50 going on ten (or maybe 11) years and it has been great. I do take a small ORCA ice chest along for... umm.. cocktail ice.

Yeah, gin-and-tonic and margaritas are my guilty camp pleasure and those require good ice.?

Question: can you make ice cubes in the freezer side? I wouldn't bother while on the move, but camped for a few days, it sure would be nice to replenish the bar!

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Just came across this thread as I am looking for a dual zone myself. I've had a Dometic CF-50 going on ten (or maybe 11) years and it has been great. I do take a small ORCA ice chest along for... umm.. cocktail ice.

I have two, an EdgeStar and an Engel. The EdgeStar has been trouble free for 11 years, but the Engel has been problematic, and Engel has not been responsive to my inquiries for information. I intend to buy another in the near future and it will be a SnoMaster. They're kind of expensive, but I'm thinking this may be a case where you actually get what you pay for. I hope that turns out to be the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles