LiFePO4 Install

shade

I wonder how much of BYD's bus problems are due to supply chain problems like you described. The one that was field tested locally had significantly reduced battery endurance and had to be towed back to the shop a few times, and that was without the AC running. They don't seem to have as many problems with them in China.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There is often a lot of end-user tinkering to resolve issues, which goes on outside the purview of the designers. It rarely gets documented. When Toyota started moving some auto parts production to north america for cars sold here, they simply packed up the tooling and translated the specs and process details into English. For some reason they were not getting the same reliability/repeatability. The parts were all passing QC inspection, and they were baffled. After spending a lot of money trying to find the root cause, they gave up and sent some of the English speaking production folks from Japan. It turns out, the facilities in Japan were exceeding the specs/tolerances on the drawings. The viewed them as minimum requirements, and had been making components as precise as their equipment would allow. When building transmissions they made components thicker, and were able to reduce runout on rotating parts due to their "custom" production notes.

Anyways, there is always tribal knowlege that is not easily conveyed by non-experts. Heck, look how basic the lithium battery makers info is. "Charge to 14.6V, float at 13.6V, cycle from 0-100%."

Last edited:

DRP

I'm getting to like these guys more and more. I have three of their batteries purchased with no concession from them. I bought them from Bay Marine in San
Diego at a small break.
Ten months and all is well. I have called them about a half a dozen times about what have really been Victron issues. Usually Jessie but twice Sean the COO has answered the phone an hung in there until I was finished with my BS

I like these guys

DRP

@DRP , I'll edit that post to read: "Usually Justin but twice Alan" :p
No, I was talking about who has answered the phone at BB when I have called there BUT You and Alan at Bay Marine are great too!
That was me this morning with the questions about the Victron Orion-TR charger.
Glad you found this place, I think your input will be appriceuated

shade

No, I was talking about who has answered the phone at BB when I have called there BUT You and Alan at Bay Marine are great too!
Any news on when the Orion-Tr chargers are shipping? I'm waiting on one.

Justin Cook

Ohhhhh hahah my mistake... I saw the similarity and considering I get regularly called Jessie, Jason, Jonathan, and any number of other names I assumed it was one of those - apologies! The BB guys are generally pretty awesome to deal with... I've only called them once where I didn't end up speaking to a knowledgeable person, but called back an hour later and got a good tech. These days it's hard to find a company with even one person who really knows what they're talking about, so BB stands out pretty far from the crowd.

Justin Cook

Any news on when the Orion-Tr chargers are shipping? I'm waiting on one.
@shade, our initial stock order is literally on the boat from the Netherlands, and we'll list them in all our stores as soon as we get them - we don't like the common "in stock but call for availability" tactic, we prefer to wait until we actually have them before advertising them. I'll update somewhere on the forums here and in the other ones I'm active on as well so people know about it. If you already ordered from another distributor and you're just waiting on your order, I can't really say, but since we're all waiting on the same first shipment to the US, I'd think all the distributors should be getting them in around the same time... hopefully end of the month/first bit of February, though of course that's ultimately dependent on Customs letting them in.

Mark2457

The battery that came in my new adventure toy hauler (InTech) was crap, was a interstate 60aH RV battery the dealer slapped in, literally the cheapest thing you can get.. In our first few boondocking weekends it hardly lasted a day before I had to fire up the generator (Honda 2200i) for hours to get it back to 100% so we could go through the night.. Pretty much every time we went out we deep discharged the poor bastard and it was shedding amp hours quickly.. this was not going to last even our first season and I just started wiring up my gmrs repeater and vhf radios knowing I didnt have the capability to use em.

We dont have very large energy needs, I had a 100ah AGM battery in a milk crate I used with a 100w solar panel to keep my ARB fridge going throughout or adventures w/my lil tent trailer.. it'd last for days without energy input, but it didnt last long with the abuse we gave it.. after 3 seasons it was done.. Now I just plan on adding an efficient propane heater as a critical load with that same fridge, they are nearly diametrically opposed, when fridge has to cycle often im likely not using heater, and if heater has to cycle often I can put fridge outside where it likely wont cycle much at all..
I do have extra secondary loads like lights/fans/radios/numerous battery chargers that will gladly use any excess energy I happen to collect.. but I had those before and managed consumption just fine with the help of an accurate energy meter.

I was planning on ponying up $400 for 150lb of lead batteries (Trojan 6v) to get 110ah of usable capacity, but instead opted to spend a little more than twice that on lithium, If it lasts 2x as long its a bargain for all the extra benefits I'll receive, if not its still likely worth it if you can afford it IMO.. I am just really starting to outfit this rig and being able to not only save a bunch of weight on the tongue but reduce it from this crap I got it with was worth a lot to me.. Ive got room for a ton of unobstructed solar over the axles.
It weighs in at only 30lbs, being 99% efficient on energy input and output means less losses charging it, and being able to bulk charge to 100% is greatly reducing the amount of sunlight or generator time needed, it gladly takes 30A even when its 95% charged, and with an internal BMS they can give you 100% capacity without the kind of abuse that would do to lead..
I'm going with fixed solar panels on roof, 350 watts worth.. Should be able to recharge from cut off to full in a few hours of direct sunlight, and with as much time as we spend in forest environments thats about the best we can hope for.. with oversized solar setup and a battery that can recharge in a fraction of the time, I hope to avoid the need for alot of battery capacity or using the generator frequently.. When I do need to use the generator, I wont feel as guilty for making noise and burning gas since I can get it done in a few hours instead of all friggin day.

I got lucky and had a manufacturer defect with the 35amp Progressive Dynamics fuse box in my camper, they were easy to work with and when I asked them if I could take the opportunity to upgrade to the 45amp Lithium power center they had they said sure, no problem and upgraded me for free.. wow totally ************, thanks PD! I really like the new fuse box over the old one, for starters it has 12 circuits instead of 5.. most are unused right now but that wont last long.. it also has support for an external DC cut off switch that made wiring up to an external LVD (100A Victron Battery Protect) a piece of cake, otherwise if the charger is cut off from the battery when voltage gets low there'd be no way to charge it back up w/the generator. I also needed the extra space for a breaker so I could hardwire my fridge in separately from outlets, this way when I run the inverter it wont be powering the fridge with AC when there is no shore power.

Sadly the new fuse box didnt fit w/out modification, the hole needed to be about half an inch taller, that was easy few mins w/a jig saw, but unfortunately it made contact with my power cable box that was directly behind it.. well this was nothing a bit more sawing could not work around:
View attachment 463767

also without any internal power, there's also no ventilation, lighting and of course air conditioning.. but we keep on working through the heatstroke sporting our headlamp.

I also install a master disconnect switch, so I can ensure there are no loads on the battery when I have it in storage.. in the end everything looked nice and clean. I decided to install a green 120v led into the top of the fuse box, as an indicator we have shore/generator power.
View attachment 463768View attachment 463769

In the battery compartment I put a new battery box in and move it to a new location, it dont need ventilated anymore so I get to reclaim a bunch of storage space.. I chose BattleBorn because they were well reviewed, warrantied and price was fair IMO (could save a couple hundred and import one from china, with no warranty and lower output ratings). I also way oversized the cabling for a couple of reasons, first of all the main connection points for power/ground would be on the other ends of the Battery Monitor (Ground Shunt) and the Battery Protect (Solid State LVD) so I wanted absolutely minimal voltage drop so these connection points would be just as good as the points on the battery.. Secondly because I soon intend to wire in a 1200VA Inverter that can handle surges more than 2x that, so it needs to be capable of delivering 200A of power for up to 30s, and 100A continuously. A 200A inline fuse was installed directly to the battery terminal, even though the battery's BMS will supposedly stop a short circuit in 1/2 a second, a fuse will react even faster.

View attachment 463770View attachment 463771

I still need to run a wire from the relay output of the battery monitor to the power switch on the battery protect, this way I can have the battery monitor shut down the power once its 80% discharged.. Lithium does not start shedding voltage until its almost discharged, so even though the battery protect is programmed to cut off at 12v, the lithium battery will still be mostly discharged at that point.. I'll keep 20% in reserve to prolong the lithium battery, and if push comes to shove and I need that extra 20% (say it cuts off heat in middle of night) its a few clicks on the battery monitor to turn the LVD back on.. then it'll keep running til it hits that 12v and the battery protect decides the reserves are gone.

View attachment 463772

Now that this rather expensive project is complete, I'll move on to installing a Propex 9k btu heater to extend the season.. then I'll probably put the solar panels up and then get the inverter so I can make coffee in the morning without going out operating machinery (firing up genny)

I've done a bit of dry run testing here at home and have been very impressed, with typical loads the battery monitor says I have several days of capacity left instead of several hours.. I'm taking it out this weekend for first real run but I expect it to still have plenty of charge on our way home after a weekend @ sand dunes, finally..

I have battlebirn heated LIFEPO in my truck with redarc system and will out same battery in my pursues when it arrived next month. Did you install the propex yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles