Life With A Supercharged RRS For an Overland Rig

Foxtrot121

Loved reading about your adventures Colorofkris, I made an account here just to let you know that.

I've been strongly looking at getting an L322 to replace my 04 Cummins for an everyday 4x4 and reading stories like yours just make me want to do it sooner!

Colorofkris

Loved reading about your adventures Colorofkris, I made an account here just to let you know that.

I've been strongly looking at getting an L322 to replace my 04 Cummins for an everyday 4x4 and reading stories like yours just make me want to do it sooner!

Thank you, I appreciate you checking out my adventures. I originally wanted the l322 but couldn’t find one around me when I was shopping for it so I went with the l320. It would be nice to have the little bit of extra space but I have no regrets. Deff a fun and very capable 4x4 maintenance can just be a pain sometimes, labor of love though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxtrot121

Thank you, I appreciate you checking out my adventures. I originally wanted the l322 but couldn’t find one around me when I was shopping for it so I went with the l320. It would be nice to have the little bit of extra space but I have no regrets. Deff a fun and very capable 4x4 maintenance can just be a pain sometimes, labor of love though!

Whoops, I meant to type L320, I think it is a much better size for my use case, the L322 is too big when you're not spending a lot of time in the back! haha.

Colorofkris

October Update

Work has been kicking my butt again so it’s been a pretty slow month getting much of anything done, however I did get a couple of projects done.

Earlier this month I was able to do a tire rotation and finally pull off the the yellow vinyl from the fog lights. While I was pulling the rear left tire I did notice a crack in my air compressor cover. While on my trip during Labor Day weekend my tire threw a rock and it sounds like something broke, at the time we couldn’t figure it out but now I know because the rock is still there. On that note might be time for some mud flaps lol.

On a positive note I did order a new bike rack for the roof of the rover. I have a hitch rack currently but camping with the drawers and having the bike rack in the way of the rear hatch is annoying. I will be installing those hopefully this weekend. In conjunction with the bike racks I am looking at roof rack options. I’m debating between a skinny rack to throw up just for camping which would look okay and it’s budget friendly, however I have been looking at full racks with light mounts which would also be nice to have some roof lights. There are a few other things on my to do list by the end of the year that hopefully I will be able to commit to.

Upcoming
I have currently got 3 trips planned by the end of the year so I am hoping to have a few more trip write ups as well as more photos and some better r&d on the bed setup.

4b5f52b3bc1f7caf8a3aa1e15f4e25a9.jpg

bd3571f50a6d76dfe93879a8d34b55ec.jpg

1ff60ed1331d059d5566a42681797405.jpg

2c9901f1a7a43699713a19e1512af1f7.jpg

c344e1e7af7ae8fb44d2d8bcc79a50aa.jpg

f93fe2140352e13c90efdd5e357fcf68.jpg

Colorofkris

Threw on the bike racks today. Now I just need to figure out how to get the bikes up there lol. After some consideration I’m not to sure how a roof racks going to go with the racks up on the roof. I’m working on a light mount for the grill to eliminate the need for roof mounted lights. As a daily driver driving roughly 80 miles a day I’m thinking a roof rack isn’t really in my cards at the time due to the poor mpg. I may get something that’s just usable for long travel though. I would however still like to put up some side lights and one for the rear for camping and doing bike stuff. Just wanted to do a quick update.
1d9a28664c99850d932b47cc9fc05a4c.jpg

c0093ddf24d0f273b37c8f6409c899bc.jpg

Colorofkris

Quick update since it’s the end of October

Decided I was tried of the gray on the grill and the vents so I painted them black. Turned out okay, I like it a lot more then the original color. The original color was peeling anyways. The wheels are next, need to do some filler in the curb rash first though. I’ll be a doing one wheel at a time over the next few weeks.

Making progress on another project too building a light mount for the grill, got the material and found a friend to weld it together. Should be getting into that this weekend in hopes to finish that project up and have lights wired by next weekend.

November 12 the wife and I are headed down to Florida to camp and juniper springs for our anniversary, we will be using the fold out bed at a pull in camp spot and utilizing the camp ground as our base camp for mountain biking. We are planning on riding santos and mount Dora as of right now but also plan to spend a good bit of time relaxing at the springs too and hiking. We originally wanted to disperse camp but it’s general gun season and that’s a no no.

I will have an update from that trip shortly after similar to the previous trip report. I hope to update in the next week though with progress on the other projects
175cfeccf31cc2dd93a7c4b64b847a42.jpg

e829227263cc5b0f62c3dcde6feb64b9.jpg

bb0f7b2c0c04710cc617212649631257.jpg

c2d102012627031a03394d62e6297f0a.jpg

82ebdbd665e3c2f28b6d69864802a11a.jpg

Colorofkris

November update-

To start off the month I decided to go ahead and paint the rims. Also got the light mounts from my buddy that I had him weld up so I started working on those as well and came to the conclusion that the mounts would be more of a pain then it’s worth so I am instead figuring out how I can use the grill to mount the lights instead. Below pictures is the lights just mounted on the plastic grill, which is surprisingly sturdy but I don’t think it is sturdy enough so I will be digging deeper into a mounting solution. That being said I’m driving with them tonight because there is somewhere I need to be and don’t have time to lose them so we will see how they handle.

On a another note some good, bad, and ugly. The good is I have finally wrapped up the car accident from last year so that was a huge win this week. The bad it looks like the wife and I’s anniversary trip is going to be changing up to be a little less exciting which we don’t know what that will be. The ugly is why the trip is changing up, last night not even 24hrs after finishing up my car accident stuff my wife was driving home from work when someone pulled out in front of her and caused an accident. Luckily she and our puppy are both okay which is the most important thing. We will now be dealing with round 2 of accident stuff.

That being said here’s some pictures of the rover update!
74f80b32a2c9d23ae394e9181d304ff9.jpg

0631bbac1bff0c0b78ef225e23119e87.jpg

eff44f5bb034401ca3deac76037cf23e.jpg

4d73c7d0632928dcfa1451b80447300c.jpg

67763dc9f00b8c1521d0edc4f759f098.jpg

856f876c6ec7638f2024c6bdd86b65b6.jpg

Colorofkris

Well some more bad news....

After a couple more doctors visits for the wife and a few other things going on it looks like all of our trips and plans for the end of the year are canceled. We are both bummed about having to cancel our plans to travel, hike, camp, and most importantly mountain bike, but her recovery is obviously top priority. That being said she will be going through treatment over the next 2 months and we will be staying in town.

Less importantly I do plan on progressing the rover in this time period still with some of the small projects including some more light upgrades, acquiring gear, and maintenance. I did manage to permanently mount the led bucket lights to the grill (pictures below). I am in the process of wiring them up to the rocker switch panel and then I will adjust them out. I also did some modifications to the bed which allows for the opening and closing of the bed with out moving the full drawer system. Last but not lease I trimmed up the faces of the drawers to allow for another open and closing when under load of the gear in the drawers since they were getting hung up on the hatch on the rear of the trunk.
0c9b745f98bfe006f03083386a7a6983.jpg

c980eef070c77faa249825cd634f8d58.jpg

Colorofkris

Thanksgiving update-

As of today I have someone in the works for buying the Range Rover. If all goes to plan the Range Rover will be leaving the drive way permanently. Its bittersweet, however after a lot of discussion with the wife we think it is the best move for now. That being said it was not intentional to sell, I forgot I had a post on Facebook market place from earlier this summer trying to sell it and never took it down. Someone offered me asking price and extra for the bed in the back. If the guy backs out I have no intent of selling so there is that as well.

On a positive note my drive way will not be rover less, yesterday (Friday the 27th) I picked up a new to my 1995 Land Rover Discovery I with a 200tdi and 5 speed manual swap. It is in no way pristine shape or a beauty, but it is a project and Im really excited to start putting in work. Unlike the Range Rover the discovery has a bigger aftermarket for accessories and off-road goodies. The plan with it is to start doing more off-roading and not have a heavy sense of fear at the cost of fixing or repairing trail damage.

I will most likely begin a different forum page for the TDI project so if you wish to follow I will post a link for it once I get it started. If the Range Rover does not sell, then this page will continue forward as I will still plan to utilize the Range Rover for camping and road tripping. The discovery at that point will be more off-road bias.

Here are some photos from its maiden voyage home as well a a few drive way shots....
d1fdd978b1ec95bb1413b7636372f1a9.jpg

05dcaa6d518c73e39f5ef53f2d5dd55c.jpg

d40a329158beca6fb632f89bfbb54ff4.jpg

f6aab3a1bbeebd3f0208e1df5acab505.jpg

b9010820aaa8dc88008b62c5fb91815d.jpg

491e74ef768f9f26190f570dc9eaffd9.jpg

ffd9e18c59ebb39ad78d3edc96b0adea.jpg

9ef8b120148ffe00266c70bfa3ae0fe8.jpg

Colorofkris

Bitter sweet update

As of last Saturday the Range Rover is no longer my rig, it has been sold to a new owner who is planning to use it just like I was planning to. I’m pretty torn on how I feel about it because it was fun, but it was always in need of something big that I didn’t have the time or money to tackle at the time. On a positive note now that I have the discovery all of my efforts will be geared towards building the discovery into the overland of my dreams. That being said I will post a link to the forum for the discovery once I start it which will follow the build and trips just like this one did. Thanks everyone who took the time to check out the Range Rover!

Colorofkris

Here is the link to my new thread regarding the discovery! It will follow a similar format to the Range Rovers. Thanks everyone for the support!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles