Life With A Supercharged RRS For an Overland Rig

A.J.M

Explorer
It’s a 3.0 diesel I believe.

I quite like the rack. Not sure how many rack options are out there for the Sport though.

soflorovers

I like it aside from the factory roof rack, they are so ugly and weird looking. I was checking out decals from G4 th other day, deff slapping some of them on and some camel trophy stickers! Is that super charged? I know the snorkel doesn't work with the super charged model but they look so cool, would it be weird to get one purely for aesthetics?
The factory roof rack is actually one of the better options out there aesthetically if you remove the plastic front fairing and sides. You can basically reduce it to the metal base and it's actually quite handsome.

EDIT: Here's a photo of an LR4 with the OEM rack as described above ^

1571837923138.png

Last edited:

Colorofkris

The factory roof rack is actually one of the better options out there aesthetically if you remove the plastic front fairing and sides. You can basically reduce it to the metal base and it's actually quite handsome.

EDIT: Here's a photo of an LR4 with the OEM rack as described above ^

View attachment 546342

This is easily in my top 5 favorite rovers I have ever seen! I have been drooling over this picture for years now.

As for the factory rack the lr3/lr4 rack I like even with the plastic fairings, I like it better without now seeing that. I didn't know they were removable. For the price point I would rather pick up an ARB flat rack for 700 or even a front runner for more, last RRS factory rack I saw online was like $2400. I personally want the voyager off-road champion rack as shown below. I have heard mixed reviews on the company though, regardless its pretty sweet.

Roof Rack.jpg

soflorovers

This is easily in my top 5 favorite rovers I have ever seen! I have been drooling over this picture for years now.

As for the factory rack the lr3/lr4 rack I like even with the plastic fairings, I like it better without now seeing that. I didn't know they were removable. For the price point I would rather pick up an ARB flat rack for 700 or even a front runner for more, last RRS factory rack I saw online was like $2400. I personally want the voyager off-road champion rack as shown below. I have heard mixed reviews on the company though, regardless its pretty sweet.

View attachment 546404
I mean...I'd never buy one new. I almost bought an OEM LR3 one used because the drive through worker at my local Taco Bell had an LR3 with the rack and I offered her $300 for the rack. She obviously didn't know what it was worth, nor did she really care for it. I wound up backing out because I sold the truck 2 weeks later, but the point is that because it was an OEM option, you may be able to purchase a used one that is a take-off or on someone's truck for dirt cheap. Also, I'm pretty sure you can get an LR3 one to work on an RRS if you're willing to get crafty.

Colorofkris

Update Nov 4th

Works been busy so not a whole lot has gotten done. No new issues have come up nor has anything else been done. Still trying to find a day to get the coupler for the SC taken care of as well as a hand full of projects/ accessories I am trying to put on. All in due time I guess. I did order a hitch finally so I can now through the mountain bike on the hitch rack.

In the mean time I have been getting comfortable off-road with the Rover. Took it out to a local spot twice this last week just to go ride around. Got some photos and videos, just waiting on it to get uploaded from a friend.

Ocala camp trip coming up this weekend, the wife and I along with the 3 dogs are headed down foe our 1 year anniversary. That should be a fun trip and a good shake down for organization. I used to traveling in a 2 door wrangler so space is not a luxury Im used to.

IMG_Nov32019at93342PM.jpgIMG_Nov32019at93301PM.jpg

Colorofkris

Dec 9th Update
Just a few things to update today. Ocala weekend trip went great in November for my Wife and I's 1 year anniversary. The dogs had a great time and we enjoyed relaxing by camp. Didn't do much trailing around being that the trip was more focused on not doing much of anything. That being said the rover preformed excellent on the trail heading to our camp spot and getting us home was perfect. I did still get some suspension faults but nothing that hindered our capability. The space was nice too compared to the jeep, gear was easy to pack. We did see while we were out there quite a few bald eagles, a bear, and a fox. The fox was hanging around our camp at night which was pretty cool.

On another note, Ive been out and about in the Rover a few more times off roading at a local spot and it is still performing great. Got some slow mo mud shots and some cool drone footage as well. I will have a quick video of that some time in the next few months when our YouTube channel kicks off. (more on that later)

On another another note..lol, I finally got around to doing the yellow tint on the fogs, thought it was a fun euro look, really digging it so far. (bottom picture)

Coming in the next few months hopefully (depending on car accident related stuff also more on that later) going to try and commit to a lot of rover maintenance and accessories, maintenance first of course. Fluids and suspension are top priority currently, but until then she's gonna ride as she sits...which is quite comfortable if I do say so myself.

IMG_Dec92019at83735PM.jpgIMG_Dec92019at83628PM.jpgIMG_Dec92019at83539PM.jpg
IMG_Dec92019at83102PM.jpg

soflorovers

Dec 9th Update
Just a few things to update today. Ocala weekend trip went great in November for my Wife and I's 1 year anniversary. The dogs had a great time and we enjoyed relaxing by camp. Didn't do much trailing around being that the trip was more focused on not doing much of anything. That being said the rover preformed excellent on the trail heading to our camp spot and getting us home was perfect. I did still get some suspension faults but nothing that hindered our capability. The space was nice too compared to the jeep, gear was easy to pack. We did see while we were out there quite a few bald eagles, a bear, and a fox. The fox was hanging around our camp at night which was pretty cool.

On another note, Ive been out and about in the Rover a few more times off roading at a local spot and it is still performing great. Got some slow mo mud shots and some cool drone footage as well. I will have a quick video of that some time in the next few months when our YouTube channel kicks off. (more on that later)

On another another note..lol, I finally got around to doing the yellow tint on the fogs, thought it was a fun euro look, really digging it so far. (bottom picture)

Coming in the next few months hopefully (depending on car accident related stuff also more on that later) going to try and commit to a lot of rover maintenance and accessories, maintenance first of course. Fluids and suspension are top priority currently, but until then she's gonna ride as she sits...which is quite comfortable if I do say so myself.

View attachment 555372View attachment 555373View attachment 555374
View attachment 555370
Love the updates. Are you familiar with Main Line Overland's Project Jekyll?

1576183066632.png

soflorovers

Colorofkris

That thing is saweeeet! Love the arb setup. The 35’s looking oddly natural too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorofkris

January Update-

Happy New Years everyone for starts. I hate not bringing anything new to the table but with holidays and such the past month has been uneventful. This month is looking the same as work is picking up even more hardcore then before. So time spent on the rover is gonna be very limited. My next weekend off I’m going to go for round 2 of attempting the supercharger isolator and probably another oil change. Suspension has been off and on giving me trouble depending on the outside temperature. That is going to be a priority in terms of funding over the next couple months with the extra work coming in. Aside from that trucks still running strong. In the mean time she’s going to be a parking lot queen as I daily it to and from work. Hopefully some new updates soon. I do have a quick offroad video I may post with my next update so keep an eye out.

Colorofkris

February update-

Finally a pretty good update. Work gave me 2 days off for Presidents’ Day so I took full advantage of it and spent the weekend working on the rover! Was able to get an oil change done Friday for Valentine’s Day, as well as cut the mufflers off. Was a little hesitant about cutting the mufflers off due to a lot of feed back on the rover pages talking about it being “to loud” or constant “droning” and blah blah blah. I wasn’t scared to cut them off, just concerned about a permanent fix if I didn’t enjoy the sound or it did happen to be too much. After cutting the mufflers however if anyone is curious, the noise is very subtle. Hardly noticeable at best. There is a little extra noise at idle, when you accelerate you can hear it but it’s honestly no louder then the motor is, and for high way or cruise speeds it sounds like a v8. I honestly feel it’s not loud enough, but I don’t have any plans on changing it, just cleaning up the piping where I cut it which was postponed due to my other project of the weekend.

Saturday I had to work but Sunday I got up early and began tackling the super charger isolator coupler again. As stated previously on this thread I attempted it with no luck. This time I was very successful. I planned to have 2 days to work on it and finished it in 1. I did run into an issue with bleeding coolant, which in frustration ended up with me dropping the bleed screw for the coolant tank into the engine bay in which it never returned. I had to order a new one which led the rover sitting for a couple day. We are back in the road now, however I acquired an unwanted squeal today while driving. Upon further inspection I misguide the belt and it was rubbing. Fixed that and now we are good to go. Rover is pulling hard, sounds great, runs great! Huge chunk of my maintenance issues solved.

Next up are some more fluid changes and hopefully work on the air suspension.
2905f8b579ed35a69d181bb04cffa8ca.jpg
1525fa996fcd165771b7e45d563b6266.jpg
5719d4e850e7429ee6bf200a12ad1948.jpg
9785bd42542a439a7de0ab2c77d026a1.jpg
e349eed3dac659fe83f576762070e81b.jpg
d327f8b8f92dbe7146215f5f26f1296a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles