Life With A Supercharged RRS For an Overland Rig

Colorofkris

Interested to see how this turns out. Check out the GAP IID tool, it’s really impressive. You can use it to add a slight lift for everyday use if you want, then a taller height for off-road use, which will overcome the 30 mph speed limit in factory off-road mode. Plus is does full factory diagnostics, EAS reset, can make keys, etc.

Thanks for checking it out, it will be a slow process but Im excited about building it regardless. I am looking at getting the GAP tool in the near future. There a deff must with all the computer stuff onboard

Colorofkris

July 25 Update: Took the rover a couple days ago to the tire shop for a screw in my new tires (not even 1k miles yet :/), ended up having to go back again today because it was leaking.Got it fixed, now to cross my fingers, Im hoping for no more tire issues!

On another note, a buddy of mine just picked up this cayenne, 2008 S with the v8. He has an 04 turbo already that he plans to overland, The video I made from when he took it out to a local of road spot, I was the blue jeep with out the doors and top which is the vehicle that got totaled. Anyways the new (to him) cayenne was a budget buy which he plans on doing acTrans Siberian rally replica, and using the snot out of it. So should be pretty cool. Hopefully I'll be able to do some write ups between the rover and the cayenne and stuff.

Last but not least, this weekend I may be putting together a quick overnight camp trip, Its not much but I am hoping to get off the pavement with it for a night and enjoy some camping especially since we have weather in the 80's right now in the southeast U.S.!
IMG_3288.JPG

Last edited:

NorthBoundLR3

I think the RR Sport is one of the better looking vehicles on the road still to this day. It wasn't big enough for me as my family grew but I did love driving it. Here are some photos of the little "Urban Rig" setup I had. We lived in Manhattan so it was nice not to be concerned with potholes. I had the same wheels you had but dumped them for a smaller rim in order to fit more rubber.

Sumatra Black 2012 RR Sport LUX

Attachments

• IMG_9842.jpg
    IMG_9842.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9845.jpg
    IMG_9845.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_9846 (1).jpg
    IMG_9846 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 110

Colorofkris

I think the RR Sport is one of the better looking vehicles on the road still to this day. It wasn't big enough for me as my family grew but I did love driving it. Here are some photos of the little "Urban Rig" setup I had. We lived in Manhattan so it was nice not to be concerned with potholes. I had the same wheels you had but dumped them for a smaller rim in order to fit more rubber.

Sumatra Black 2012 RR Sport LUX
Love it! I am still considering dropping to the 19" wheel myself, I like am not a fan of the rims currently but I think its more the style than the size. Do you have some information on the bumper addition you have, I wasn't looking to do a big bumper mod but just wanted some light mounts and Im digging the way it looks!

NorthBoundLR3

Love it! I am still considering dropping to the 19" wheel myself, I like am not a fan of the rims currently but I think its more the style than the size. Do you have some information on the bumper addition you have, I wasn't looking to do a big bumper mod but just wanted some light mounts and Im digging the way it looks!

Someone backed into our RR like 3 weeks after buying it and sent us to the body shop. Unfortunate... tried to make lemonade out of lemons and decided to add the OE LR bump bars (which are also cheap plastic tbh) just to give it a little more beef in the front. It was purely aesthetic. The lights are the now discontinued WARN driving lights. They are pretty good-- wireless remote switch that fit in the ashtray. I wired it up so they worked when I turned the lights to "on" in the manual mode. Went with those lights because I wanted a 4" diameter that did not have too deep of a ballast in order to fit it in front of the grille. The lights were featured on the Expedition Portal LR4 if you recall. That's actually how I was introduced to them.

Colorofkris

Update (Sept 1) Check engine Light came on, as well as restricted performance when accelerating to highway speeds yesterday. Rover is getting parked for the week while we figure out whats happening with this hurricane (on the southeast ga coast). This up coming Friday I have an order list for a supercharger rebuild, oil change kit, new air filters, and a couple other goodies. Im 95% certain the coupling in the supercharger is bad, Im getting the chattering noise from the intake as well as some performance issues at low rpms. Also time for an oil change. Anyone have any experience replacing the coupling on the supercharger? any advice would be great!IMG_3433.JPG

gatorgrizz27

Bummer. From light reading the 5.0 SC seems to have more issues than the 4.2 SC in my wife’s car, we’ve done nothing to it.

Here’s a link, you can check the coupling by pulling the belt and seeing if there is play in the pulley. https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/2010-supercharged-engine-rattle-noise.260521/page-2. Pulling the supercharger snout to swap thing out looks like a significant job apparently.

Beyond checking for play, I’d buy the GAP tool before I did anything else. Mine chimed the other week, showed “Transmisison fault” on the cluster, the HDC and air suspension lights came on, and it lowered down into access mode. Plugged in the GAP tool, scanned it and found a fault code for the brake switch. Cleared everything, lights went off, drove away. It happened again and I swapped out the brake switch, no issues since. Had I started messing with the transmission sensors or just thrown parts at it, I’d have spent more than the cost of the tool already. They are far more advanced than my $350 Bosch OBDII reader.

Hope y’all stay safe from the storm, looks like we will dodge it in the panhandle, but I never trust them.

Colorofkris

Update (September 12 2019) Left the rover behind for the hurricane evacuation, when I returned home the check engine light went off. Spent a little bit of time taking apart the air intake and cleaned the MAFs and seems to be running better. Ordered the coupler for the supercharger which I was planning on installing this weekend, the shop I ordered from sent the wrong one though so have to postpone that for another week. Seems the "restricted performance" and the check engine light are from the humidity or rain. Both times that happened to me have been accelerating to high way speeds during or after a rain storm. I read up that the evouqe had the same issue.

Looks like work is going to keep me pretty busy until the end of the year, that being said preventative maintenance is my main goal for the next few months as well as a few fixes and starting next year I'll start putting camp trips together.

Colorofkris

Update (September 27 2019) Got around to ordering my first round of maintenance items. Got the correct coupler in the mail, got the stuff for the oil change, and oil for the supercharger. Going to flush coolant as well when I remove the supercharger since I have to break the line anyways. I will be doing the work this upcoming Tuesday since I finally got a day off. I should be getting the new air filters in next week, new wipers, and possibly the transfer case and diff fluid front and rear. Also got a bit of yellow tint, I plan on wrapping the fog lights.

I might also pull the plasti dip from the wheels and look into doing the permanent paint, Im leaning towards gloss black. The grey got old.

Colorofkris

Update (October 7 2019)

Starting this update with the bad, then some good. I started the process on the supercharger isolator coupler and it was a no go. Got down to the super charger and was unable to pull the supercharger off of the block to pull off the snout. I was pretty bummed, but couldn't find anymore information online or any resource to carry on. I put everything back together felling pretty defeated. I did get the oil changed though so that's a plus. I spent some time at work searching and after about an hour and a half I stumbled upon a forum where somebody posted pdf files of the repair from start to finish. This has provided me with the info that I was missing upon my first attempt. I will hopefully be attempting this project again soon, just need to find some time off again since work is picking up. New air filters are on the way as well, went with a performance set of filters. A few good take aways from this unsuccessful attempt though, for one I feel much more comfortable working on the Range Rover (it was intimidating at first), I know where more stuff is, I have the tools I need, and most importantly the coupler is deff not good!

Attachments

• IMG_3510.JPG
    IMG_3510.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3516.JPG
    IMG_3516.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 85

Colorofkris

Update Cont

On the good side, I got the opportunity to do a shake down run at a local offroad spot, gave me a good chance to play around with the traction control and the adjustable suspension, as well as get an overall feel for this thing. I will say I wasn't surprised at how capable the Range Rover is, I was surprised at how easy it made everything seem. I had a few moments in some deep mud where I may have been a little worried, but it pulled me right out. The most challenging part of the supercharged Rover out there was throttle control, unless its in 4lo it just wants to jump everything. Its definitely a lot of power when you are trying to ease it over some obstacles. Also picked up some pin stripping pretty bad, but that's all part of the fun. Have lots of photos but the forum isn't allowing me to post due to size.

gatorgrizz27

Update Cont

On the good side, I got the opportunity to do a shake down run at a local offroad spot, gave me a good chance to play around with the traction control and the adjustable suspension, as well as get an overall feel for this thing. I will say I wasn't surprised at how capable the Range Rover is, I was surprised at how easy it made everything seem. I had a few moments in some deep mud where I may have been a little worried, but it pulled me right out. The most challenging part of the supercharged Rover out there was throttle control, unless its in 4lo it just wants to jump everything. Its definitely a lot of power when you are trying to ease it over some obstacles. Also picked up some pin stripping pretty bad, but that's all part of the fun. Have lots of photos but the forum isn't allowing me to post due to size.

Glad you got it in the dirt. The grass/gravel/snow (2nd position) of the terrain response significantly tames the throttle response on my LR3. The others may vary it as well, but it’s the most noticeable.

Also, IIRC, all settings besides rock crawl start the transmission out in second gear. Bumping the shifter to the left (sport mode) then allows you to manually select 1st gear.

Colorofkris

Glad you got it in the dirt. The grass/gravel/snow (2nd position) of the terrain response significantly tames the throttle response on my LR3. The others may vary it as well, but it’s the most noticeable.

Also, IIRC, all settings besides rock crawl start the transmission out in second gear. Bumping the shifter to the left (sport mode) then allows you to manually select 1st gear.

Good to know, thank you. I will try that out next time, I noticed the only throttle difference was when I was in sand mode. I was trying to mess around with the settings but kept getting distracted by all the fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles