Life With A Supercharged RRS For an Overland Rig

Colorofkris

Hello Everyone
I recently made the decision to build and overland rig out of a 2011 Supercharged Range Rover Sport. Recently (about 2 months ago) I acquired this Rover. It was partially intentional, but not to this degree, by that meaning the supercharged, the year, and the model. Let me explain a little and give you some history about myself.

For starters my first vehicle was a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. I absolutely fell in love with that rover. I had it through high school and ended up trading it in college due to the up keep of commuting for a 2 hour drive to and from college every weekend to come home and drive. That being said I always told my self that I was going to own another. Land Rover at that point was in my blood, I was addicted! I went with a 2wd xterra for my next vehicle (2009) and followed that up with a 2012 2dr Wrangler After I graduated. After a couple years of dreaming of the rover life I committed to buying another discovery. I picked up a 2003 Discovery. That thing was all the rage, it was tough, rugged, lifted.....and a piece of junk. lol. I put in countless hours of work getting it back to the way it should run, after a few months and a lot of help from my grandpa (who was a mechanic) we had that thing running in tip top shape. It was perfect. It was coil swapped, lifted, had 33" nitro mud terrain, a bunch of offload goodies from the factory, it was just dead fun. The paint was torn up already and the body was no where near perfect so I drove it like no one was watching. Then life got in the way and work didn't allow me anytime to work on it (Was working in kitchens at the time). I was looking into different work and in order to do that I needed something with better mpg's and a bit more reliable. So I sold it for another Xterra. This time I got a 2012 pro4x, fun truck but didn't love it. So 3 years later it was time to build up a jeep. I picked my self up a 2015 2 dr wrangler. I started modding and building for overlanding. Installed roof rack, lights, cb radio, tailgate rack blah blah blah. Then one day I was driving home annnnddddd Boom. totaled. Someone ran a stop sign as I passed an intersection and I went from 50ish mph to 0 way faster then then a jeep ever should.

After the jeep was deemed a total loss it was time to look at my options for a new rig. I knew deep down it was rover time. As you can see by the cycle Rover, Nissan,Jeep, Repeat it was time for a rover. I still needed something reliable and comfortable to drive to and work and I wanted something a little bigger then the jeep for hauling gear. I Started looking the 06-09 Full sized HSE Range Rover but had trouble finding one in my area. So I branched out, test drove some stuff and stumbled upon a Range Rover sport in Orlando. The dealer refused to sell it to me due to issue it was having with the brakes and alignment. Thats when they introduced me to my newest love, a 2011 Supercharged Range Rover Sport. Perfect carafe, beautiful shape, ran like a champ. They ended up out the door matching the price on the ************ rover they had and I drove away happy.

My choice with the sport was to be able to tie in some fun on road driving but still off road drive just as often as I did with the Jeep. The rover fits many bill in terms of the cars I was looking for. I am excited to start building and show the progress and the journey it takes. This forum will go through the life of the rover as I own it, what I mod, how I use it, pictures, write ups, videos, and also to answer questions that anyone may have that I have experienced and could help with. Though I am 2 months late documenting the beginning my journey with this thing has only just begun. It is a rare thing to see a range rover off road (from these years) let alone a supercharged. Thanks for checking it out!

BAJA CA

Fun car I had an 07’ RRS SC and performed amazing
Compmotive rims for you and if you want to put a bumper you need to move the intercooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorofkris

First real update: (mid may) Got it all cleaned up (she cleans up pretty good), played around with all the components/ systems to make sure they all work, so far so good. Tire pressure light went on though. Tires are in rough shape, definitely in need of replacing. Rims also have some pretty bad curb rash so looking into cleaning those up. Current tire size 275/40/20R. Going to do some research in tire sizes and options for replacement as well as rim repair.

Colorofkris

Update: (Early June) New Tires are in and mounted, just in time too because I had a nail in one tire and another wasn't holding air. 275/45/20R's. Not to much bigger then the factory tires, just a more aggressive tread and a little more meat. As it sits right now no rub. I eventually want to lift it and put larger tires, however right now I wanted to keep some street performance, lifting and larger tires also did not fit my time frame. Next up rims!

Colorofkris

Update: (Late June) Started working on the rims. Been tossing between the idea of fat grey, gun metal grey, or gloss black. Had no luck finding either gloss black or gunmetal locally so I went with a temporary flat grey plastic dip to see how I liked it. Actually a huge fan of how it turned out personally, eventually plan on peeling the plastic dip off and bringing the rims to a local powder coat shop. I will most likely keep them grey or I will pick up a different set of rims as a whole.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Beautiful truck!

As long as you keep the build relatively mild, it should retain its superb on-road behavior. We're overlanders after all, not rock crawlers. Very few places a RRS with mild lift can't travel.

A.J.M

Explorer
Nice starting point.

There was one at a Landy show last year, it was your facelift shape but had been built into a black G4 replica with LR RAI, rack, ladder but with LTZ tyres on the 20” wheels.

For yours.
Go front to back and change all fluids, give it a decent service and check the suspension bushes etc.

Get the maintenance spot on and you’ll enjoy it more without having to worry about it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Colorofkris

Beautiful truck!

As long as you keep the build relatively mild, it should retain its superb on-road behavior. We're overlanders after all, not rock crawlers. Very few places a RRS with mild lift can't travel.

I live in Southeast Ga too (US) so not much in terms of crazy offloading to get to any overland spots. I think current ride height will do me well, I just like the aesthetics of a lift to be honest. Not in much of a rush though. Thanks for checking it out!

Colorofkris

Nice starting point.

There was one at a Landy show last year, it was your facelift shape but had been built into a black G4 replica with LR RAI, rack, ladder but with LTZ tyres on the 20” wheels.

For yours.
Go front to back and change all fluids, give it a decent service and check the suspension bushes etc.

Get the maintenance spot on and you’ll enjoy it more without having to worry about it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks! Do you have any pics of the g4 replica? Down the road I was planning on adding some of the g4 orange to accent it, was going to keep it rathe subtle though. Also going to slap some camel trophy decals on it too.

My plan is to do a full flush by the end of summer, Im still recuperating from the accident physically and financially, lucky its not getting a bunch of miles on it right now, just 5 to 10 a day at most.

gatorgrizz27

Interested to see how this turns out. Check out the GAP IID tool, it’s really impressive. You can use it to add a slight lift for everyday use if you want, then a taller height for off-road use, which will overcome the 30 mph speed limit in factory off-road mode. Plus is does full factory diagnostics, EAS reset, can make keys, etc.

buyrovers

Adventurer
Dang man I have a lifted 2010 sport supercharged in the for sale section for cheap thats had a pile of work done, and mine is overland white:) You will be amazed at the capability of your truck, with the factory locker and terrain response it will flat get it off the pavement and as you know on the pavement too!

Agree with above on GAP tool, having your own diag tool of some sort is absolutely the first thing to buy. Tires on the sport are tricky as a taller tire tends to rub on the upper control arm ball joint if you go to big and the tires that do clear will be crazy close. Spacers are an option but I was trying to avoid them. Tons of info on tire size options for these on rangerovers.net

My understanding is the intercooler on the 2010 and newer SC does not need to be moved for winch bumpers but I havent verified. I have also come to learn that an lr4 arb bumper bolts right up with only a small gap to contend with under the headlights.

Colorofkris

Dang man I have a lifted 2010 sport supercharged in the for sale section for cheap thats had a pile of work done, and mine is overland white:) You will be amazed at the capability of your truck, with the factory locker and terrain response it will flat get it off the pavement and as you know on the pavement too!

Agree with above on GAP tool, having your own diag tool of some sort is absolutely the first thing to buy. Tires on the sport are tricky as a taller tire tends to rub on the upper control arm ball joint if you go to big and the tires that do clear will be crazy close. Spacers are an option but I was trying to avoid them. Tons of info on tire size options for these on rangerovers.net

My understanding is the intercooler on the 2010 and newer SC does not need to be moved for winch bumpers but I havent verified. I have also come to learn that an lr4 arb bumper bolts right up with only a small gap to contend with under the headlights.

Nice! I wanted a white one pretty bad but there weren't any for sale within a reasonable driving distance. Im really excited to see what it can do off-road, jus have to be patient for a little bit. Im really digging the 275/45/20, they handle really nice on the street, they look nice to and no rub or anything, I may stick with it for a while.

As for the GAP tool, I have heard a lot about them and do plan on getting one in the near future.

ARB's for the lr4 re supposed to be bolt on, since they share the same frame and everything as the lr4, I did hear the intercooler has to be repositioned though. Sadly there is little info on the process so I would have to do some digging. However I am leaning more towards the armored hidden winch setup, I'm not sure how I really feel about the sport with the ARB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles