Life With A Supercharged RRS For an Overland Rig

gatorgrizz27

Bummer to hear, but that’s the stuff that happens to any vehicle. Battery, alternator, radiator, etc. The faults were all likely related to that, I had every light and chime on the dash pop up when my alternator went out. Jumped it, replaced the alternator, cleared the codes with the GAP tool, good as new.

Colorofkris

Bummer to hear, but that’s the stuff that happens to any vehicle. Battery, alternator, radiator, etc. The faults were all likely related to that, I had every light and chime on the dash pop up when my alternator went out. Jumped it, replaced the alternator, cleared the codes with the GAP tool, good as new.

My faults were suspension related and restricted performance while going up to highway speed. Didn’t have an issue with the battery the night before nor the following night. Since then i haven’t had any battery related issues either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatorgrizz27

My faults were suspension related and restricted performance while going up to highway speed. Didn’t have an issue with the battery the night before nor the following night. Since then i haven’t had any battery related issues either.

Not sure I’m understanding correctly. So the battery was run down flat, not died as in won’t hold a charge? Meaning you didn’t have to replace it? If so, I’d be ready to soon, and low voltage will absolutely cause suspension faults.

Colorofkris

Yeah just run down flat. I figured it’s a sign that the battery is going to need to be replaced soon. As for the suspension fault I realized my floor board was really hot over the compressor, my guess is that as well is on its way out. Could be battery related though.

soflorovers

Well Labor Day turned out to be a heck of trip. I will do a full write up and post some pictures soon about how it all went down. It wasn’t terrible but the rover showed its true colors, fault after fault and a dead battery first thing in the morning 15 miles deep into the Forest with no one around. We ended up cutting the trip short by a day to meet up with some family that’s was in from Cali due to the fires, but it was beautiful in the mountains and really enjoyed spending some much needed quiet time with the doggos and the wife!

I always keep a battery booster/jumper pack with me in the LR3 for this very reason. While my truck can sit for 3 weeks and maintain sufficient juice for a start up, I never want to take that risk when I'm out on the trail.

Colorofkris

I always keep a battery booster/jumper pack with me in the LR3 for this very reason. While my truck can sit for 3 weeks and maintain sufficient juice for a start up, I never want to take that risk when I'm out on the trail.

Lol I’ve got one now and won’t be leaving with out!

Colorofkris

After a little over a week I am ready to do my trip write up. I wanted to give myself some time to reflect on the trip before writing about it since Last week upon arriving home I didn't feel 100% about it. Here are a few take aways after reflecting for a week...

1) Even if the trip didn't go to plan (which we had a very loose plan to begin with) its all part of the adventure.

2) Even with all the negatives that happened Im already wanting to make another trip.

3) When looking back the few negatives are trumped by the positives of the trip and the memories made spending time with the dogs and wife.

4) The rover is a rover and will always be a rover, that being said I shouldn't be upset with the rover for my poor planning (not having a jumper box) and a battery that isn't relative to its unreliability.

5) Dayum can that rover crawl. (ill explain later)

I will start off by saying the original goal of getting footage and a lot of pictures didn't really happen. The main day I planed to film was Sunday and that time was taken up by getting the rover jumped off. So here we go....

FRIDAY-
We packed up the truck and got on the road around 5:30pm. It was a late start due to our work schedules, the wife worked during the day and I am on graveyard shift so was sleeping and packing. The goal was to haul some booty up to the Blue Ridge Parkway on the west side of Asheville. From there I had marked a turn off to a forest road in which the goal was to find camp as quickly as possible and crash for the night knowing very well that it would be a late one. From Brunswick it was roughly a 51/2 hour drive to camp not including bathroom breaks, gas stop, and finding dinner. We stopped for some grub in South Carolina at a Cook Out which was the wife’s first time there, stellar grub as always. Somewhere along the North Carolina border we stopped for gas. Around 1 in the morning the tires landed on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I will say the Parkway at night is pretty dang cool! Once off on the dirt road it was time to find a good spot to set up the rover, so we looked….and looked……….and looked. Everything was either taken, which was to be expected on Labor Day weekend, or roped off with no camping signs posted. So deeper into Pisgah it was eventually finding a small pull off around 2:30 in the morning. I will say the sleeping platform works great and sets up fairly quickly and easy, however 2:30 in the morning after driving 7 and change hours and being super tired is not the time to test out a new setup and try to figure out where everything goes. It took way longer then expected to actually get into bed and get situated, but around 3:15 we were finally getting settled in.

SATURDAY-
Our Morning was much better, we woke up pretty early around 7, snagged a quick breakfast and took the pups for a walk before breaking camp. There was no rush to get anywhere and the only plan for the day was to find a nice short hike with dogs, drive some of the blue ridge, and find a nice camp spot. We did 100% that Saturday. After breaking camp, we drove about 20 miles on the park way and stopped at the devils courthouse for a hike with the dogs. The look out was awesome and the pups had a great time. After getting back to the rover we set up a quick lunch in the parking area then headed back to the woods. It took us about another hour or so to find a national forest road that wasn’t closed off. When we finally did find one we followed it looking for a good camp spot for about 20 minutes when we stumbled on an open forest road gate which looked pretty fun….and it was. Turned out to be a short cut to the main road, but by a short cut I mean it was a series of very steep rocky grades that made for an awesome 4x4 experience. It was certainly the most technical terrain I have done yet in the rover. Sadly I didn’t get out for a photo or video opportunity. We took the trail down to see where it led eventually hitting pavement so we drove for a few miles looking for another forest road but had no luck. After turning around we headed back up the rocky grade. This was the really fun part! Ended up putting the rover in 4lo and rock mode, between 4lo and the lockers that thing cake walked up the hill like nobodies business. Once back up on the Forest road the search continued heading deeper into the woods until we got to a dead end which turned out to be the perfect camp spot! After backing the rover in and we set up the sleeping platform which was a gravy setup the second go around. At the dead end there was 2 closed forest roads 1 was blocked off by a gate and the other by some large rocks. Once everything was set up the wife and I took the dogs for a hike up the road blocked by rocks. It lead us to a small stream that went down the side of the mountain that we were on. (Btw we were sitting about 4300 ft up.) The view was beautiful when you could catch a glimpse through the trees. As the crow flies we were less than a mile or so from the Blue Ridge Parkway. We could hear the occasional motorcycle echo through the Forest. As we got to the stream you could hear a good bit of the traffic. We got back to camp and set up to make dinner which was shrimp scampi with penne noodles, onions, peppers, and asparagus. Got out the double burner which crapped out on us. Had plenty of fuel but it wouldn’t light properly, so we started a small fire and cooked over the fire which turned out awesome. Scampi was the bomb digity. Cleaned up, drank some beer, and had a nice peaceful night.
IMG_Sep172020at85155PM.jpgIMG_Sep172020at85223PM.jpgIMG_Sep172020at85336PM.jpgIMG_Sep172020at84849PM.jpgIMG_Sep172020at84656PM.jpgIMG_Sep172020at85119PM.jpg

Upon a better nights sleep that evening I will say the sleeper system was very comfortable! The mattress was pretty nice and the bed felt sturdy. Ventilation was probably the biggest issue, the screens for the windows didn’t provide much for airflow and the battery powered fans didn’t last very long. It doesn’t help having 3 dogs that love to cuddle. Once it got cold out though it was really nice in the rover especially after the dogs found their sleepy spot.
IMG_Sep172020at85035PM.jpg

Colorofkris

SUNDAY-
Sunday morning is where it got rough. The wife woke up and took the pups out to the bathroom and started feeding them. I stayed in bed and planned to sleep a bit longer when I heard the dash chime with a low battery start vehicle now warning. I jumped out of bed (moreover slid into the driver seat head first) pushed the brake in with my hand and pressed the start button....click click...nothing. Battery was dead. Turned everything off and tried again. Nothing. At that point we realized the situation. The nearest campers were about 10 miles away, which was a crazy hike due to the steep grades. We decided we would eat breakfast and gear up to start the hike to either get cell service or find someone to jump us off. That’s when things got worse. Turns out the back hatch doesn’t open without juice in the battery. Our food was locked away in the back of the rover. I did grab some snacks the day before for our hike so we luckily had that accessible in our day bag. We did have access to water from the coolers though so that was good. Anyways we packed up some gear and got the pups ready for a long journey. Luckily there was cell service at the top of the first hill which was maybe 40 yards from our camp spot. At 4300 feet up I believe this was the highest point of the forest road and it was our best chance of service. We were able to make a call to my parents in Greenville about an hour away as a back up plan, then tried to reach the ranger station which was closed due to covid. We tried to reach out to the police non emergency line but had no luck and ended up calling 911 to see if they could give us some direction for this type of situation. They were super cool and called around to see if anyone in the area could head out to us and jump us off. About an hour later the local fire crew called us and said they would be out there soon but needed some help figuring exactly where we were. Luckily I had downloaded some apps that really helped. The big life saver was Avenza Maps, which this is not a plug for them just a real time use review, I was not only able to bring up gps coordinates, but also utilize the motor vehicle use map that I downloaded for the trip. Anyways the App showed us our location on the vehicle use map, which I thought was pretty neat, in which I was able to send to the fire crew to use for directions. They showed up about an hour later which was about 11:15 a.m. and jumped off the rover really quick. The fire crew was in a big beefed out excursion which was pretty sweet and they were pretty excited getting it out on the trail. They planned to take the route out down the rocky grade I drove on the previous day but wanted to wait until after they got us jumped off to check it out. (They seemed like kids in a candy shop after I told them about what to expect). We snagged a quick breakfast while the rover ran for a bit then made our way out of the forest. After a rough start to the morning our goal was to find some cell service to get a plan together for Sunday night. We got touch with my parents and decided to call it a wrap on the camp trip and headed to Chattooga river trail to meet up with my parents whom we haven’t seen in a while and my brother and his wife that are on the east coast for a couple weeks waiting our wildfires in the Santa Cruz area of Cali. Our drive from camp to the river trail was absolutely awesome, we rode through some beautiful mountain roads through Sumter and Nantahala National Forest which was stunning. I do plan to head back to Sumter and spend some more time exploring the mountains there, we were in a bit of a hurry so couldn’t stop much to enjoy them. After a lot of miss communication and poor cell service we finally caught up with my family. We did a short hike down to the river with the dogs in which we dipped our feet in the cold waters of the Chattooga. Though it was cold the water was refreshing and much needed. The wife and I also would like to return to the Chattooga river trail to do some more hiking and enjoy the water some more. We left the river for some grub ultimately landing our selves at a five guys. From there we headed to my parents place where we camped in the drive way for the night.
IMG_Sep172020at85358PM.jpgIMG_Sep172020at85434PM.jpgIMG_Sep172020at85522PM.jpg

As I mentioned in my previous post about the faults and the battery, there were 2 restricted performance faults, the first was accelerating to highway speed on the way north and the second was on the way south doing exactly the same. I also received multiple (I think 5 total) suspension faults. I remember 2 of which were on the rocky grade while climbing. It kicked me out of off-road mode and put my at standard ride height. If I remember correctly it took me out of terrain response mode as well. After shutting off the truck and turning back on it cleared and was fine. The others were intermittent throughout the rest of the trip. Although frustrating the restricted performance were severally dangerous, they both occurred while I was merging onto the highway (a 2 lane road) and the truck loosing all juice, which when trying to accelerate to the flow of traffic almost caused an accident. The second time luckily traffic wasn’t as busy but still same issue. As for the suspension issue, I know I need the gap tool to sort it out but I have a heavy feeling it’s a valve block and possibly the compressor coming to its end. All that will come in time when I have the funding to throw at it. Until then it is what it is.

Overall the trip was pretty good, scenery was wonderful, time spent was priceless, and I really enjoyed the comfort of the rover and the sleeping platform. It made for a much easier and nicer camp setup. Trying out the actual off-road prowess of Range was also pretty sweet. I look forward to more trips as well as some longer trips.

I will have some more updates coming soon as I tackle a few maintenance items on the rover and prepare for some more trips coming up in November. Stay tuned!

Colorofkris

September Update:
ITS MAINTENANCE DAY!!! Whoot whoot! Im on graveyard shift currently so my days are primarily free, minus finding the time to sleep, so I have been planning to spend the better part of a day working on the rover and knocking out a few items on my preventative maintenance list. I actually planned to do it sooner but work has been kicking my but with over time and just haven't had the time or energy to get much done on the rover. Today however I picked up the last few goodies I needed from the store and got to work. I changed Diff fluid front and rear, t case, and the reg oil. A few weeks ago I did an air filter cleaning and injector cleaner. Next week I plan to swap the fog light bulbs with yellow LEDS and pull off the vinyl wrap that's on them currently. I also have to replace a rear fog lamp bulb which I think I'm going to go ahead and update those to LED if I can as well. I also plan to do a tire rotation tomorrow.
e4cbde868bcec84039a28f7ac163a845.jpg

Last edited:

Colorofkris

So when are you swapping to coils?

I don’t plan to, if I was running an lr3 or discovery I would consider it. (Especially a disco 2). However I’ve already dropped $$ into the air suspension and being that it’s supercharged it has the dynamic mode which I get a lot of benefits from having the air suspension. I have had a lot of suspension faults but it hasn’t failed me yet. The ride quality is also pretty dang nice.

Carson G

I don’t plan to, if I was running an lr3 or discovery I would consider it. (Especially a disco 2). However I’ve already dropped $$ into the air suspension and being that it’s supercharged it has the dynamic mode which I get a lot of benefits from having the air suspension. I have had a lot of suspension faults but it hasn’t failed me yet. The ride quality is also pretty dang nice.

Have you changed your height sensors?

Colorofkris

Have you changed your height sensors?

Not yet. I still have not invested in the code reader, when I do I plan to overhaul what ever the issue is with the suspension. I do plan on picking it up in the next month or so if the overtime at work keeps up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier