Life With A Supercharged RRS For an Overland Rig

Colorofkris

My Last few posts have been pretty uneventful to say the least, I was hoping to be able to post some photos from my shake down run with he rover but the file size is to big to post any of them. I do have an instagram if anyone is wanting to see some of the photos @510readytosend. On a positive note I'm doing a quick over night camp trip out to the Satilla river for a night. Nothing crazy but it will be the first time camping in the rover and exciting to me non the less. I will get some photos from my phone to update with, my drive will be primarily back country roads and 15 min or so minutes of my drive will be off-road which should make for some nice photos!

Works been super busy and is only picking up more over the next few months so I will get the quick overnight trips in where I can. Maintenance looks like it will be postponed a bit too. A friend of mine has a more suited garage for fixing the supercharger coupler as well, so looks like I will be getting that done on my next weekend off when he's in town. Hoping to have that done by the end of the year.

gatorgrizz27

There’s is a free app called “image size” that’s simple to use, it does have to be done one at a time though.

Let me know if you make it over to the panhandle at some point, we have been running the Apalachicola national forest about every other week. That’s about to slow down a bit with our baby showing up in a couple weeks though.

Colorofkris

There’s is a free app called “image size” that’s simple to use, it does have to be done one at a time though.

Let me know if you make it over to the panhandle at some point, we have been running the Apalachicola national forest about every other week. That’s about to slow down a bit with our baby showing up in a couple weeks though.

Will do!, I have buddy over In Tallahassee that I'm looking at doing a quick trip with in December. Once work cools down a bit next year I would be down to head that way as well.

I will look into the app, that would be nice to have.

Colorofkris

Awesome first camp trip! Headed to property off of the Satilla River here in Southeast Ga, I do kayak tours part time and the owner of the company has some cool properties in the surrounding area that I can access. It was about a 30 minute drive on pavement and another 10 of dirt road followed by about 15 minutes of double track through the property. With just a single night out there we kept it simple, did hot dogs over the fire, drank beer, and hung out. The next morning we made some breakfast and ran the river a little bit on a friends jet ski that he brought along. My crew included 4 friends, 2 dogs (the basset hound is mine), a Chevy Colorado z71 long bed, and a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Over all a great trip with some easy but fun scenic driving.

1st Picture is our camp next to the river cabin on the property (we did not stay in it)

2nd Was my camp set up, hammock tent, basset hound, cooler full of beer!

3rd Is a shot from the dock during sunset

IMG_Oct162019at103640PM.jpgIMG_Oct162019at103538PM.jpgIMG_Oct162019at103737PM.jpg

Colorofkris

Its been nice getting the Rover out and about to play with, but there is some negative. Recently developed a squeal/ squeak in the front suspension. Even more recently I am starting to get suspension fault warnings on the dash after about 40min of driving. This did happen out on the trail while we were leaving the property. After further investigation and research online all signs point to bad air bags. I will be looking into ordering new bags and the Gap tool as well. I was considering a coil swap, but couldn't find any for the year model RRS. For the price of the coils I can replace the air bags as well. With the supercharger model Im leaning towards keeping airbags anyways so I can maintain some of the on road performance.

Order the GAP Tool first and see what you are getting for codes. Calibration tools inside the tool can fix some problems and you could have a memory fault in there that just needs to be reset; which, if not reset, will continue to come back if you have a problem or not.

What gives you the indicator of bad air-bags; just curious as to what the indicators are as there can be numerous issues related to faults but bags rarely in my opinion give that unless the compressor is over temping trying to keep up.

Also, check your sway bar bushings for the squeak; pretty common on the LR3 and relatively cheap and easy to replace! Depending on poly or rubber; they will get installation grease to keep them quiet. You can spray graphite lube on them and if the squeek goes away you know it's the sway bar bushings.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

soflorovers

Order the GAP Tool first and see what you are getting for codes. Calibration tools inside the tool can fix some problems and you could have a memory fault in there that just needs to be reset; which, if not reset, will continue to come back if you have a problem or not.

What gives you the indicator of bad air-bags; just curious as to what the indicators are as there can be numerous issues related to faults but bags rarely in my opinion give that unless the compressor is over temping trying to keep up.

Also, check your sway bar bushings for the squeak; pretty common on the LR3 and relatively cheap and easy to replace! Depending on poly or rubber; they will get installation grease to keep them quiet. You can spray graphite lube on them and if the squeek goes away you know it's the sway bar bushings.

Hope that helps you a little bit.
My polybushings squeak a ton! It's just the price you pay for peace of mind

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer
Have fun with your Rover. I did a mild build on an 06' RRS about 8 years ago. Simple, Johnson rods, LR Air Intake, Baja Rack and that was it. I took that girl everywhere and had a blast in it.

gatorgrizz27

Its been nice getting the Rover out and about to play with, but there is some negative. Recently developed a squeal/ squeak in the front suspension. Even more recently I am starting to get suspension fault warnings on the dash after about 40min of driving. This did happen out on the trail while we were leaving the property. After further investigation and research online all signs point to bad air bags. I will be looking into ordering new bags and the Gap tool as well. I was considering a coil swap, but couldn't find any for the year model RRS. For the price of the coils I can replace the air bags as well. With the supercharger model Im leaning towards keeping airbags anyways so I can maintain some of the on road performance.

I really doubt it’s the airbags, particularly multiple ones. They generally either leak or the don’t, if it’s significant you’ll hear it hissing air. It’s likely a ride height sensor, which is a cheap and easy fix. GAP tool will tell you for sure, just bite the bullet.

Colorofkris

Thanks for the input!, I will be purchasing the Gap tool first before anything else gets replaced. What is the preference on GAP tool, I saw that Atlantic British has the iland tool and there is also the GAP IIDtool, any preference? I plan on getting the rover in the air, pulling wheels and checking all the suspension goodies and make sure everything looks okay. The biggest indicator I saw for bad air bags was the elongated squeal when lifting the vehicle off the ground. Most of the noise is from the passenger front. I did get an over temp notice for the suspension once when I was out off-roading. Would that warning cause the lingering light to come up every so often?

gatorgrizz27

GAP IID tool from them, there is no other equivalent substitute. I ordered one through Lucky 8 on Amazon because it came with a blank key, but it was defective out of the box. GAP took care of me but I had to pay return shipping to Canada and do a customs declaration, so I’d just buy from them directly.

FWIW, the key programming did work fine on my LR3, they have a list of which vehicles are supported. It was $30 to cut the key blade at a local locksmith.

If you end up with another Land Rover, a second license is only $80. It will read and clear codes without it but not do the more advanced functions.

My polybushings squeak a ton! It's just the price you pay for peace of mind

There is a company down in SA; I don't remember who they are but think they make stuff for Toyota and they have a two-piece bushing design that holds grease inside the bushing. The purpose is longevity and noise; I wonder if there is a way to zerk fitting poly sway bushings like this on an LR?

A.J.M

Explorer
8BCE7A08-081D-4F23-BA1C-5054E48F22D9.png
Finally found the car I spoke of.
Similar wheels etc as yours but with some of the LR accessories to make it a partial G4 style car.

Colorofkris

View attachment 546194
Finally found the car I spoke of.
Similar wheels etc as yours but with some of the LR accessories to make it a partial G4 style car.

I like it aside from the factory roof rack, they are so ugly and weird looking. I was checking out decals from G4 th other day, deff slapping some of them on and some camel trophy stickers! Is that super charged? I know the snorkel doesn't work with the super charged model but they look so cool, would it be weird to get one purely for aesthetics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles