Life in a pop-up for 3+ people

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hello all.

I normally frequent the van section, but I'm hoping to get some insight from people with more truck camper experience. Our daughter is getting a bit bigger, and despite my best efforts at optimizing our space, life in our pop-top Astro van is getting crowded, so I find my thoughts turning to something with a bit more space. We can sleep 3 with relative ease, and even access the toilet during the night without climbing over each other, but lack of storage and "floor" space means that there's a ton of shifting gear around each night/morning, and I have to wait outside while the girls get ready for bed.

I'm looking for input on sleeping arrangements and "flow" versus layout in a pop-up camper with three or more campers. Specifically, what works and what's a challenge? Can you sleep 3 without having to climb over each other? Access the rest of the camper (kitchen or porta-potti) without climbing over someone?

Looking at the various floorplans, a side-entry flatbed seems like the best possible layout for our family of three, but I'm afraid the current offerings from 4WC are going to be out of our price range for a while (until the used market develops, I'd guess.) That leaves the rear-entry variations of front-dinette, side dinette, or roll-over couch. Roll over couch seems like it basically blocks the whole aisle when deployed. Front dinette seems like someone from the upper bunk will be climbing over the lower bunk to use the toilet. Side dinette seems like the most room to move while the bed's deployed, but can't seat 3 for a meal if the weather goes south?

See what I'm getting at? Would love to hear specifics on sleeping, seating, and generally living in a pop-up with 3+ people. Thanks!

codename607

Adventurer
Hey Herbie,

I just recently received my FWC and have only spent a few nights camping in it. Based off of the info in your post I would suggest getting a shell model(Side Entry) from FWC. I also went with a shell since I wasn't sure if I would like the layout. I plan on sleeping in the camper for a while and then building it up to a way that works best for my girlfriend and I. Getting a shell will also be cheaper and may put the camper in your price range.

adam88

Explorer
If you honestly want to:

1) Sleep 3 without stepping over each other + have access to a bathroom
2) Sit 3 at a table for eating when weather is bad

Then the FWC Flatbed Grandby and The XP Camper V1 are the biggest contenders. But if you think the FWC flatbed is overpriced, then don't even bother looking at the V1.

Something will have to give... either budget or you'll have to be willing to step over people... or you'll have to be willing to only sit 2 at the dinette inside (and 1 person sits on the bed and eats). So which one is it.... 1) Budget, 2) Dinette seating limited to 2, 3) Front dinette where you step over your daughter.

adam88

Explorer
Hey Herbie,

I just recently received my FWC and have only spent a few nights camping in it. Based off of the info in your post I would suggest getting a shell model(Side Entry) from FWC. I also went with a shell since I wasn't sure if I would like the layout. I plan on sleeping in the camper for a while and then building it up to a way that works best for my girlfriend and I. Getting a shell will also be cheaper and may put the camper in your price range.

Just wondering how much is a Flatbed FWC shell? There's no price listed on the site. Normal shells are 8-9k on their site. How much extra is the flatbed shell?

Durango

Adventurer
I'm a big FWC fan but if you want a quality unit without paying the FWC premium look into the ATC shells. They will do a flatbed side entry for you.

adam88

Explorer
I'm a big FWC fan but if you want a quality unit without paying the FWC premium look into the ATC shells. They will do a flatbed side entry for you.

ATC is a good option. But the FWC camper has a few advantages. First, it has a 60" overcab bed with an under-bed storage area. Second, it has a rounded/tapered end hangover which gives it more room inside while maintaining ground clearance. I also like FWC can be ordered in silver spur or fibgerglass, and the 1 piece molded roof and the radius door. That being said... if ATC is a lot cheaper, then I'd go with it. A flatbed from ATC is $8,000 for a shell and a grandby shell (non-flatbed) is almost $9,000. I am guessing the flatbed grandby is probably going to be $10,000 or $11,000? Just a hunch. So would need to decide if those features are worth the extra 2-3 grand.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thanks everyone for the info so far.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious, but I'll keep looking at it. Worst case, I may have to save up for longer. I'm not opposed to the price of a new flatbed model (although that's a very big gulp), but I'm also a bit of a patient bargain hunter, so if I can get my head around life in a side-dinette, then I can keep my eyes open for a lightly used one while I save up...

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
The side dinette sucks in my opinion. I know some people like it, but all I can say is go sit in a few. The side dinette is very cramped. When it's made into a "bed", good luck not falling up because it is very narrow. The rollover couch sucks because it blocks the whole camper when it's made into a bed.
For us (use to be a family of three) the front dinette was the best. The upper and lower beds can be made, and everything else is accessible. You only need to step on the edge of the lower bed to step down, it really isn't in the way or a bother. But you have full access to kitchen, exit, porta potty etc. Sitting three is a little tight unless you or your kid is small, but still better than a side dinette.
If you're looking at full size long beds, a grandby front dinette will have more than enough space. Look up Mali mish and his family of 5, full timing in a grandby front dinette.

Durango

Adventurer
... I'm also a bit of a patient bargain hunter...
Good luck with that! Finding a clean used one at a low price and especially a Hawk Flat Bed model is virtually impossible.

Four years ago I went through the same "growth curve". From wanting to buy used (I never buy new) to going, "What the heck... I can spend my kid's inheritance better than they can!" So I bought my 2012 slide-in Hawk new and then last October (gulp) shelled out 30K plus for a new Flat Bed Hawk. I can't think of any purchase that has brought Sioux and I more "pleasure per dollar". Spend the money...

NOTE: Of course, this is from the same idiot who shelled out 30K for a new camper and is already tearing it apart to re-do the cabinetry! (Much better than FWC's efforts if I say so myself!)

Super Doody

Explorer
The side dinette sucks in my opinion. I know some people like it, but all I can say is go sit in a few. The side dinette is very cramped. When it's made into a "bed", good luck not falling up because it is very narrow. The rollover couch sucks because it blocks the whole camper when it's made into a bed.
For us (use to be a family of three) the front dinette was the best. The upper and lower beds can be made, and everything else is accessible. You only need to step on the edge of the lower bed to step down, it really isn't in the way or a bother. But you have full access to kitchen, exit, porta potty etc. Sitting three is a little tight unless you or your kid is small, but still better than a side dinette.
If you're looking at full size long beds, a grandby front dinette will have more than enough space. Look up Mali mish and his family of 5, full timing in a grandby front dinette.

Agreed that the side dinette sucks on an Eagle or Fleet but its totally different story on a Hawk. Agreed that side dinette bed is a bit narrow but its perfect width for a pack n play or child. For dinning, my daughter sits in the corner with the table pushed up against her, my wife side in the seat with back rest and I sit in the middle. We went back in forth between side dinette and front dinette. Front dinette you'll get more room for the bed but it felt a bit cramped with cabinets on each side. Front dinette is also double the price of side dinette. We sat and visited FWC twice before making the order. Previously we had a bare bones shell Eagle with roller over couch.

Last year we did over 20 nights of camping with my wife, 2 yr old daughter and our 50 lb border collie. Overall, the side dinette has worked out well for us. Agreed that the grandby front dinette has the most room.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Good luck with that! Finding a clean used one at a low price and especially a Hawk Flat Bed model is virtually impossible.

I was referring more to the idea of convincing myself that a non-flatbed might suit our needs, I've resigned myself that finding a used flatbed model would be a rare event, but if a more "common" model will suit, I can patiently stalk the 'net until a good option comes available. (That's how I've built our van for so cheap - entirely via craigslist bargains) We're capped at a family of three unless we bring a guest, so I'm fine with optimizing for a single child in a dinette bed, but I'm sweating some of the details. Probably next thing to do is get the whole family into a few and crawl around. Have already received one offer to come checkout a Northstar TC650 also.

In any case, no action until the end of summer at the soonest. We have our first "long" roadtrip planned, which will give us a bit more insight into life in our "cozy" van. Interestingly, up until now between daughter's age and the requirements of school and new jobs (depleted vacation bank), we've done almost entirely short trips. We've got close to 50 nights in the van, but all in 1, 2, or 3 night chunks. Our 10-night trip up the CA coast will reveal a lot of truths, especially if we don't have perfect weather for the whole journey.

Last edited:

MINO

Adventurer
We have a Phoenix Camper with a king bed. The highest capacity we've camped is with 4 adults and one 5yo. with a potty outside in a privy tent.
2 parents and an the kid in the king bunk, me and my wife on the foldout sofa (no dinette). Lots of gear moving and shuffling around to get access to the potty, but it was uncomfortably doable.

Normally it's just me and my wife, with the PETT toilet accessible inside (using a curtain to separate the space). I imagine if we had a kid they'd be sleeping in the bunk with us or on the sofa (not folded out).

If you're ever in OC, you're more than welcome to see the camper.

haven

Expedition Leader
"Our 10-night trip...will reveal a lot of truths"

True this. I wish every family or group planning an "expedition" could take a 10 night training run. The experience will shine a light on logistics issues and personality differences. Better to address these in USA than on the way to Panama or Prudhoe Bay.

Have you considered bunk beds? I've seen side entry campers with bunks across the back of the camper, or rear entry campers with a fold-down bunk over the dinette bed.

adam88

Explorer
FWC sadly doesn't offer a flat bed shell.

I guess its cause of the money. They want people paying 26k for a flatbed unit. Not as much money in shells. Too bad. Seems like FWC has become a lot mote commercial over the years but thats okay. Its a business after all. I guess ATC fills the small business vibe part of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior