License plate light kit help

Stroked 550

Adventurer
hey guys

So I just bought my JK and the owner installed a license plate relocation kit but he did not install the white light for the license plate
It looks like this is the kit thats currently on there, the owner mounted it upside down lol
plate kit

Is there a simple light kit you recommend? or should I get a whole new mounting bracket with lights integrated into it?

license 2.jpg

License.jpg

Last edited:

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Looks like there’s wire running up to it so I would just buy a cheap amazon light and wire it up. I use the ones that replace the license plate bolts and they’ve been great.

920779ead4e2df1d7ed49c2fb91bca20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
yes he has a hidden 3rd brake light hidden behind the spare

Oh so it’s a brake light harness. If it’s a running light as well you’re in luck but if it’s just a brake light then you’ll have to run a separate wire to a headlight/parking light switched wire. If you follow the wire back to where it’s tapped in (I assume it’s behind the tail lamp) then you can grab the correct wire and run it through the loom that’s already there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stroked 550

Adventurer
I bought the 3rd brake light / license plate light kit from Poison spider it has a 3 wire harness that needs to be spliced in...

where do I splice it into?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Take the inner cover off your Tailgate. Odds are high that they just stuffed the wire in there when they took it off.

after rereading, I realize you probably have to get a taillight wire by following that harness into the hinge pillar and looking behind the passenger taillight

Stroked 550

Adventurer
Take the inner cover off your Tailgate. Odds are high that they just stuffed the wire in there when they took it off.

after rereading, I realize you probably have to get a taillight wire by following that harness into the hinge pillar and looking behind the passenger taillight

thanks for the info I will check that out.... I didnt see this until this morning, last night I just tied it into the tow plug harness plus there was a bear outside very close to me so I got it done pretty fast :oops:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I didn’t add a license plate to mine, but when adding a bumper mounted tire carrier that wasn’t connected to the tailgate I found it much easier to drop the wiring out the bottom of the tail light with a loop to then run up the tire carrier. I had to notch the bottom of the plastic for the harness to drop out, but it was no big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles