LHD 1990 PZJ70 & 1984 HJ47 pickup refurbish!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So it has been a busy year for me. I did a big build on an FJ40 over the summer. As soon as that was done I started in on the PZJ70.

A number of flakes who said, I'l be up this weekend to get the truck, meant I had the 70-series for awhile. I eventually sold it to a guy I am doing to HDJ81 builds for. He is a professional photographer for a living, got into Land Cruisers not to long ago and he is having me build the trucks up for his use in the back country as a photographer.

Here is what I have been working on for the 70 build and the overall build of the truck.

-Coil spring front suspension conversion.
-1HZ flywheel install and upgraded heavy duty clutch.
-POR15 entire inside of truck and all hollow spaces.
-Dynamat the interior.
-Front Runner 70-series drawers i the back, I imported these from Australia since FR won't sell them in the US.
-Front Runner roof rack.
-LED lights.
-Delta custom front bumper and console.
-Power ports installed throughout the truck.
-Harrop E-lockers front and rear.
-Go through entire truck and fix or replace anything showing wear or anything that could fail and leave the owner stranded or inconvenienced.

Part of the arrangement in the sale of the truck was that I do somethings on my dime. This was my idea and I offered it to the client when we were discussing him purchasing the truck. This included sealing the truck up with POR15 after two small rust repairs were performed in the floor. The next thing I included on my dime was a complete heater install using Toyota parts. This truck being Latin spec never came with a heater, just A/C. The new owner didn't haggle me on price and these were things I had wanted to do while I owned the truck anyways.

So I rounded up all the heater parts and tore the dash down to the bare bones to install it. It has turned out excellent! During this process I have cleaned up the dash a lot as well, I painted the whole steel frame assembly for example. Since the dash was torn down the the main wiring harness I was able to run all the new wiring with the main wiring harness.

I had done a lot of work to the truck myself over nearly a year I owned and used it. Things like I replaced some door parts but I didn't rebuild everything in the doors. To finish things like this off in the build the other door parts have been purchased and installed. All new weather stripping throughout the truck and lot's of things like this. I have completely rebuilt the windshield wipers with a new motor, linkage and relay on top of the other new parts I had already put into it. Both front and rear window washers are also fully rebuilt.

As far as the coil spring conversion, I am using all Toyota parts and almost all the parts come from 1999+ 71/76/78/79 series. There is a little 80-series mixed in as well. When I started the conversion I knew there was two big hurdles. #1, panhard location in relation to steering. I really wanted to keep the truck crossover steering rather than go to the 80-series style. #2, I knew I may run into issues with where the frame side radius arm mount would land in relation to the transmission cross member. Both of course I have encountered in the build and worked through them.

For the panhard, I just didn't waste much time and effort trying to re-engineer it or the steering. Plus, I wanted to keep this as much Toyota as possible without many custom parts. So once I started laying it out, I knew the easiest route to go was to simply dump the crossover steering. To do this I had a couple options. Toyota went coil sprung on the 70-series in 1999 and up to 2007 the front axle is the same width as previous years, back to 1984. In 2007 they went to a wider front axle. So I could have bought a 1999-07 axle housing from Toyota for the conversion but at $1000 it wasn't really the route I wanted to go. The 80-series and 1999+ 70's both went to the large knuckle ball on the axle housing, large CV and steering change. So I bought a used 80-series front axle and cut off the suspension brackets I need from it. I also have cut the knuckle balls off the 80 housing and am moving them over to the 70-series housing. Reason being, this converts the front axle to 80-series outers which I need for the steering. It also gives us lot's of beef from the knuckle out. Currently the 80-series knuckle balls are at a machinist being prepped for me and I have the 70-series housing all prepped and ready to go.

For the frame side radius arm mount the trans crossmember was about halfway in the way. These two things obviously can't occupy the same space. I looked at fabricating a custom trans crossmember, it would fully work but I decided against it due to the amount on time I would have into building it. I shaved about 1.5" off the radius arm mount to get it nice ans snug up against the crossmember. Still needing 1.5" more and not wanting to take more material out of the mount, I opted for a set of Delta radius arms custom made for me at 1.5" shorter than 80-series. This solves all probs, makes it easy and makes the radius arms the only custom part in the conversion. A part by the way that will never fail or need replacement.

Right now everything is pretty much prepp'ed for final layout and welding. I just need the 80 knuckle balls back from the machinist and the custom Delta radius arms to proceed.

Pictures of the coil spring conversion......

front suspension6.jpg
front axle17.jpg
front axle11.jpg
front axle13.jpg
front suspension3.jpg
front axle18.jpg
suspension2.jpg
suspension.jpg
suspension3.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Both front and rear axles are getting powder coated. The rear is torn down and pretty much ready to go to the powder coat shop next week. Once I am all done with fab on the front it will get powder coated as well. Parts will be powder coated separate and on final assembly I will install the e-lockers. New hubs, spindles and brakes from an 80-series will be installed on the front axle. Axle shaft wise, I am planning to use the 70-series inner shaft and the 80-series out. I will know tomorrow once I separate the CVs if this will work. If not, I just need to buy 1999-07 axle shafts.

As far as misc mechanical repairs on the truck I have done or am doing the following.
-New fuel tank and related parts. I dropped the tank and found a pin hole in it, rather than repair a new tank was source and purchased.
-Secondary fuel filter install.
-Injection pump and injectors rebuild.
-Flashlube catch can.
-New rear main seal on engine.
-New fan.
-New relays for glow, headlights, heater, wipers, flasher, ect.
-New exhaust and muffler. New exhaust manifold gaskets and studs.
-Completely rebuild e-brake from handle to rear axle.
-1HZ flywheel upgrade and Exedy Safari Tuff clutch install.
-Retaining 4.56 stock gears but completely rebuilding the 3rd members.
-A little work here and there to the vacuum system and power steering.

I don't have much more time right now to detail the build. So here is a bunch of pictures which shows what is done and still in progress.

Cheers

catch can.jpg
dash 1.jpeg
dash4.jpg
dynamat11.jpg
por15 4.jpg
por15 3.jpg
dynamat12.jpg
heater.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

Pretty sweet. I wish those style dashes were carried through more of the Land Cruisers and 4runners here. What did you spray the back floor and inner quarter panels with before putting the sound deadening on?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The front coil spring conversion is mostly completed. The axle housing and a few related parts are out for powder coating. These pics were my final set up before sending the parts out for coating.

front suspension12.jpg
front suspension13.jpeg
front suspension14.jpeg
front suspension15.jpeg

Rear axle is mostly completed. Just need to drop in the 3rd member with the new Harrop E-Locker.

rear axle1.jpeg
rear axle2.jpeg

Ceramic coated exhaust manifold is installed with new studs, nuts and gaskets.

manifold.jpeg

I had a set of 70-series Front Runners drawers shipped over from Australia since FR doesn't sell these in the USA. Not pictured is the 70-series fitting kit.

drawers.jpeg

Lot's more in the works!

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94