Lexus LX470 GX470

emsielie

Hello again. Been checking out some 04 4runners lately, and they all been duds with major work that needs to be done. In my area (Canada) there is a 04 GX470 and 01 LX470 for sale. Ill give you the details on both.

04 GX470 : 297000kms (185700miles) no accident, all service documents in order, vehicle is in great shape asking 10000cdn obo

01 Lx470: 212000kms (135800miles) small incident which needed the bumper to be fixed. Service documents are hit and miss, but the guy said services were completed with his buddy at a Mercedes dealership and has replaced the manifold which I hear is a common problem with the v8. 12000cdn obo

Obviously ill do a carfax to dig a bit deeper and drive and inspect them. I plan on getting front and rear bumpers, change out the air suspension and other comforts.

So the questions are;

1) which one would you lean towards lx with fewer miles, small damage incident, maintained vehicle but a bit more in price, or the Gx470 with higher miles, all documents avail, and a bit cheaper
2) I know the lectronics are different then their Toyota counterparts (Landcruiser and 4runner) but do most factory add ons for the Toyotas work on lexus
3) I understand the machines are "Million Mile" engines, but would you worry about the GX470 mile count, or is okay.

I know this is in a Landcruiser forum and there are diehard fans. But I don't feel like I should write in both forums. I continue to do more research on the vehicles on the forums but this seems direct

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Izzy1

Izzy
Withou looking at photos or anything else LX. The 100 is one of the best Overlanding vehicles, plenty of aftermarket solutions too that will fit. Now, either one, you can’t go wrong, GX is amazing, I just prefer the space of the LX.

emsielie

gx

Attachments

• $_5911.jpg
    $_5911.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 50
  • $_5922.jpg
    $_5922.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 49

hayde89

Drove both and see which you like more. They are different vehicles with similar parts. The GX feels lighter and more nimble. The LX will feel more robust and heavier. Yes, almost all toyota parts work for their lexus cousins. I would find the one with the most maintenance records, least amount of rust and lowest miles you can afford.

ulyist

Two things to look for on the GX that are kept pretty quiet it seems. In the 2004/2005 years they devolved a pin hole leak in the radiator, and the transfer case selector has a o ring that would fail and leak. The transfer case repair is a significant job and easy to spot if there’s oil crud built up on it. Had to do both in mine, and breaks and cv joints, shortly after I purchased it. Beautiful to drive, to bad I smushed the front end up lol. Now it just sits in the garage awaiting repair or sale. Meh. Also it’s too tall for some parkades if that is an issue for you. More then a couple in Edmonton I couldn’t use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online