Lexus GX 470 Custom rear cargo boxes

samthomp85

For those of you who are owners of the highly coveted Lexus GX vehicles, I thought you might be interested in this project I just completed...

I recently started my own handyman/woodworking business to build up some revenue for my true passion...Building and retrofitting overland vehicles and trailers. While completing some finishing work for a couple in my town, I was asked by the husband if I would be interested in building some cargo drawers for the back of his 2005 GX 470. Immediately before he finished his thought I jumped at the opportunity and began designing the build in my head. He is an avid outdoorsman and enjoys getting out and exploring the great state of Idaho where we live. He removed the 3rd-row seating as well as the 60% in the middle row. This left the single rear seat and plenty of open cargo room for dog kennels and other assorted gear.

The build was simple and fairly straight forward at this point-
-3/4 inch plywood box construction with 1'' milled 2x12 for sides and partition
-500 lbs heavy duty drawer slides
-Marine carpet inside drawers and waterproof indoor/outdoor carpet on the top deck
-Cargo tie-downs on top deck and sides
-Angle aluminum riveted on for the trim
-Lockable T-handles

The whole build took about 2 weeks and roughly $1000 in materials (heavy duty drawer slides are really expensive)

Here are some pictures of the final product, to big to load here.
Feel free to contact me at seedwoodworking@gmail.com if you have any questions or would like to discuss having some built for the back of your rig.

Enjoy,
Sam Thompson
Seedwoodworking.com

Attachments

• IMG_20190501_175553.jpg
    IMG_20190501_175553.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190501_180031.jpg
    IMG_20190501_180031.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190501_180043.jpg
    IMG_20190501_180043.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78

ebbs

Observer
I like it. how are is it secured down? is it one piece or multiple? I'd have picked another color for the carpet, but other than that I like it! lol

samthomp85

I like it. how are is it secured down? is it one piece or multiple? I'd have picked another color for the carpet, but other than that I like it! lol
I secured it down with hooks inside the box that attach to the hard point where the seats used to sit. Then I cut a small dado out on the bottom side of the drawer to allow the nut to not impede the travel of the drawer. The whole unit is one piece.
As for the carpet... I agree the color in the picture is not what I would have chosen as well. It actually was a dark grey, not sure why it was so distorted. 518038518038

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz