Lexus GX 460 & 470 owner's thread

kellyrshort1

Wolf Caves in Texas really ate my lunch... on such a simple looking granite outcropping! installed full skids after this trip... great time but needed more approach/departure angle. This place is mostly extreme difficulty trails. (here's the full build sheet if you're interested: LEXUS GX OVERLAND BUILD

I just sold my 470 that I had owned for about 8 years. It was a great rig. No complaints at all. I sold it with some mild changes such as OME lift. I really liked the ride with this lift. It found a new home at my Son in Laws house and he now gets to enjoy it. At 175k on the clock and ALL maintenance including brand new tires and wheels he should be good for a long time. It’s replacement is our 2011 gx460 with 150k on it. It’s in the middle of being modified now and is getting a Dobinson lift. Only real reason is the customer support they gave me and they had the products in stock and shipped fast. I added the RFD roof rail system and hidden winch mount already. We also added a 2019 4Runner Limited to the garage. Everyone claims the 4 runner is smaller but I will now argue that. At least not this generation. I have put a tape measure on the interior space and it is the same. There a few thing the 4Runner does not have in the limited that the GX comes with stock though. But I like both for what they are.

Markal

Question for those with a 2011 -2013 GX460 - what’s the distance from the back of the front seats to the very back? Trying to determine if I could sleep in one (I’m about 6’1”). I currently sleep in the back of my 2021 Outback (when I don’t take my trailer out), but the GX appears to be a few inches shorter overall. I would build a platform to make a level surface.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ktiemann

Question for those with a 2011 -2013 GX460 - what’s the distance from the back of the front seats to the very back? Trying to determine if I could sleep in one (I’m about 6’1”). I currently sleep in the back of my 2021 Outback (when I don’t take my trailer out), but the GX appears to be a few inches shorter overall. I would build a platform to make a level surface.

Thanks.

It will be tight as it is shorter than the Outback. Our two cars are also an Outback and GX460. I am taller than you, but I am able to sleep in the back of our Subaru with little issue thanks to the front seats laying flat, and I have no chance in our Lexus.

I hastily measured 6'4" from center console to tailgate, and 6'7" to the front seats in their most forward position. You may be able to make something work if you work out a moveable cover for the gap between rear seats and console.

Markal

It will be tight as it is shorter than the Outback. Our two cars are also an Outback and GX460. I am taller than you, but I am able to sleep in the back of our Subaru with little issue thanks to the front seats laying flat, and I have no chance in our Lexus.

I hastily measured 6'4" from center console to tailgate, and 6'7" to the front seats in their most forward position. You may be able to make something work if you work out a moveable cover for the gap between rear seats and console.
Thanks. Very helpful!

JakeH

Adventurer
I had my Dobinson lift installed December of 2020 and 20k later I love it. Had to replace all the fender liners and get a few fillings replaced but now she's a sweet riding GX

JakeH

Adventurer
I had to deal with the dreaded barn door sag this weekend... e-tape on the locking bars and some white lithium grease on the moving latch pieces fixed it. Now she is back to quiet and smooth! If it were more extreme, kaon out in Oz makes some shims for the rear hinges...Hopefully I don't have to go that far.

JakeH

Adventurer
Just to make her even quieter, I pulled all my weathertech floor mats and all the rear panel doors, then lined them with generic DynaMat from parts express. I can't believe how much of a difference $75 of insulation makes.

dbhost

While my F150 is ill, I am looking to chuck my old Saturn to the curb, sell off my old Malibu and pick up a used GX. They seem plenty capable and reasonable in price... Not going to go ape ******** with it, but considering a front receiver for a winch carrier. Anything else I need to go for the basics?

You will get a lot of ********** talk about the front receiver, however I had a front receiver on my 470 and although I don’t have it currently on my 460. I did bolt it on to make sure it would fit. You won’t find any listed for the Vehicle though. The FJ cruiser model will fit. A lot of professional tow companies prefer receiver mounted winches for the versatility. And yes you can pull sideways on them as I have many times..

maxmileage

Here is my 2014! All mods done solo in my garage. Ironman Premium Front bumper, Full length Bud Built skids, Dobinsons dual swingout rear bumper, Prinsu roof rack, JW Rock sliders, Dobinsons IMS suspension, 17 " TRD wheels w/ Falken Wildpeak AT, Ironman dual drawer system, Rear seats removed and replaced with homemade flat deck storage, Egon Hub w/ Renogy lifepo battery LED lighting and an Iceco fridge. Also an Ikamper Skycamp 2.0 that I am currently parting with. (not shown here)IMG_6205[1].JPG

bkg

Explorer
After 8 years with the 5th gen 4Runner, we replaced my wife’s DD with a 21 gx460 premium.

so far, she loves it.

zelseman

Observer
I am struggling to select a tire size for my mostly stock GX470 that meets the following criteria:
  • Taller than stock- We have really enjoyed 32" tires on previous rigs. (Looking at 265/70 and 255/75 but open to others) Want to be able to store in factory spare location.
  • Minimum C-rated, preferably E for tougher sidewalls and towing capacity as we have a heavy rig and will tow a travel trailer eventually
  • Affordable- this is a tough one it seems, but I'd like to be around $250 per tire
We travel 85% paved or improved roads with the rest being forest service roads (think hole in the rock road, alpine loop, BDRs). We use our GX to get to cool campsites and to haul our bicycles to trailheads, gravel rides, etc. We don't wheel, but will be lifting approximately 2" in the next 1-2 years. We have a steel front bumper (eventual winch), we carry a bike rack 100% of the time and have a platform in the rear with all of our camping gear + big fridge. This is what our rig looks like on most trips:
DSC05735.JPG

DSC05244.JPG

(EDIT) I ended up going with a used set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in 255/75/17 and I am pleased with the size. I switched out the wheels for TRDPro Off-Road wheels and I am happy with the look.
There is zero rubbing front or rear and the tires don't hum too bad on the highway.
IMG_9176.JPG

IMG_9180.JPG

IMG_9179.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles