Lexus GX 460 & 470 owner's thread

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
New to me 2013 GX460, 94k. Looking to replace my 4runner totaled two years ago and the GX460 was less expensive than similar vintage and mileage 4Runners I could find. Love it, as does my dog :)824E20D2-F9AD-4120-BE97-E1C85BA68EA6.jpeg40C50DE9-B22E-4BE4-B506-5801A416B919.jpeg42D72943-FA51-497D-BD9B-FA6D38966073.jpeg

Slomerika

2004 "Sloverlander" GX 470 Build :)
Off grid engineering dual battery system on the way.
RCI Sliders Just installed
Hood solar panel next.
Snorkle arrived LOL
Metal Tech rear bumper and tire carrier is planned.
All Communications wired and properly switched.
I may rename my dog "Dobinson"
My fiance wants to know who this ARB girl is when I talk in my sleep....
UPS and Fed-Ex deliveries have me penciled in for every Wednesday stops.

I really.......would like to thank all you GX builders out there for implanting all of these great GX builds into my brain!
Type A project manager with overlanding OCD, reading about "The GX potential and a V8"
I never had a chance..... your are all enablers!!!!
I just got over my Jeep JK build problem..... And now my Rubicon just growls at me.

Attachments

• IMG_7688.jpg
    IMG_7688.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7829.jpg
    IMG_7829.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 110

JimFromAZ

Hi All, for those GX 470 owners who do your own maintenance...I'm trying to figure out which grease to buy to lubricate all parts needing lubricated or bearings needing repacked. Currently looking at Valvoline Palladium #2 3% Moly, Heavy Duty (HD) Grease 14.1 OZ Cartridge on Amazon. Will this work for u-joints, ball joints, wheel bearings? I've heard spindle needle bearings need non-moly grease but this Valvoline Palladium states that it is good for everything. I'd hate to lube something with an incompatible grease. Thanks!

Edit #1: I just found a link at https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/second-guessing-my-amsoil-grease-choice.948110/ which discusses Valvoline SynPower grease as working for everything on a GX 470. Wondering if you agree?

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

I built a quick sleeping platform for the back and took off for a week + roaming around Colorado. The truck surprisingly handled everything pretty well, and I didn’t lose any of the bumpers so keeping everything in one piece was nice. Kind of random, but I’ve since installed new Prado taillights and a grom vl2. Now that my shop is almost operational, I’m going to mix some GX fab projects in when time allows 88EBD41D-CF07-45B9-BA54-45E201E88F32.jpeg
0DC2A417-D01F-4020-ADFC-C57C435D7A2F.jpeg

Last edited:

ktiemann

Hello, current shopper here. How much frame rust would scare you away? I'm a midwest buyer so I'm finding many with some rust. I'm looking at this one specifically. These trucks have become hard to find under 200k miles around me. http://inventory.adventure-motors.c...s-gx-470-for-sale-in-grandview-missouri-64030

I am by no means an expert, but for a 17 year old car that has spent its life in the midwest the underside looks pretty great. I wouldn't give a final say until a mechanic looks at it to see if there is anything the pictures arent showing. Just tell the dealer you are interested in it, but want a mechanic to give it a look. If they don't want to play ball, I wouldn't trust the dealer.

jeffb321

I am by no means an expert, but for a 17 year old car that has spent its life in the midwest the underside looks pretty great. I wouldn't give a final say until a mechanic looks at it to see if there is anything the pictures arent showing. Just tell the dealer you are interested in it, but want a mechanic to give it a look. If they don't want to play ball, I wouldn't trust the dealer.

I appreciate the feedback. I may go look again. This shop specializes in Toyota’s and I’ve seen examples of frames they’ve cleaned up and coated that weren’t past the point of no return. They said they cleaned up a landcruiser for a customer and it was worse than mine. It was still at the shop and seemed solid poking around and looked good. I don’t know much though, they could be BS’ing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles