Lexus GX 460 & 470 owner's thread

mgalvez

2013 gx460, Icon 2.5 up front, 2.0 in the back. Uniball uca. Super comfy. Hopefully 2019 we can get some nice trips in...

Attachments

• 20181224_112000.jpg
    20181224_112000.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 326
  • 20181224_115603.jpg
    20181224_115603.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 318
  • 20180331_170904.jpg
    20180331_170904.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 300
  • 20180414_132057.jpg
    20180414_132057.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 291
  • 20180415_110058.jpg
    20180415_110058.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 285

NMBruce

Adventurer
Mine has been a really good vehicle and of all the SUV I looked at, this a great choice. I plan to sell it this summer or in the next three years, needing a pickup,

Attachments

• 6D460E6A-D27C-49D1-ADA3-9981AB1003F2.jpeg
    6D460E6A-D27C-49D1-ADA3-9981AB1003F2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Davie Dave

My gx460 ‘2018
dfbd5f7f835d0a8a052297f8e3037ba6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZBaobab

Observer
Hey! I'm looking at getting a GX myself to retire the 80 from daily-driver duty.
And of course, before I've even settled on getting a truck, I'm thinking of mods. :rolleyes:

So, a question: anyone here know if the rear door of a Prado can work on one of these? With the integrated spare-tire carrier on the Prado (vs no such feature on the GX), it'd seem a give to swap them out; but... Not sure if it'd fit.
Anyone here know?

AZBaobab

Observer
I have family in Europe; among whom is a brother-in-law who's a bit of a car nut.
I've sent him Subaru (WRX) parts before, so he owes me. ;)

Another question for you guys: I'm having a tough time finding GX's without the air suspension. Anyone here have any nightmare stories about them?
Any good stories about them never leaking/going bad?
How do they hold up?

Thanks again!

SP Jon M3

Observer
I'm having a tough time finding GX's without the air suspension. Anyone here have any nightmare stories about them?
Any good stories about them never leaking/going bad?
How do they hold up?

I have a 2012 with the rear air suspension. Hasn't given me any issues after 111k miles. Lots of loaded up trips out to death valley, colorado, utah, idao.. etc...

That being said, I plan on doing the coil swap in the near future. Part of me wants to keep the rear air suspension and just put a 2" spacer in the back to lift the rear. Then just keep a spare bag with me on the trails.

dcg141

Adventurer
Deals on 470's are hard to come by. Found a promising one today but with closer inspection of the pics it has a cracked dash. I have looked at well over 30 units and if you find a really nice one the price is jacked way up. Very few have much for service records and I have found 1 that had the WP and timing belt replaced and documented. Buying used anymore is not much fun. It seems everyone and his brother is in the used car business and they are really not interested in informed buyers. But as bad as the small operators are they pale in idiocy to the big car dealers. For all their websites with social media hookups getting even elementary questions answered is awful. You know like, is this unit really in stock before I drive 2 hours to look at it. Finding for sale by individuals is even more difficult.

JakeH

Adventurer
Carmax usually has a good selection of GXs, though not the greatest prices. You have to scour the pics pics pretty well to figure out which of the 3 packages you're looking at, but dead giveaways are:
Electric switches inside the rear barn door indicate a power third row, that should be a fully loaded premium.
Mark Levinson logo on radio also indicates premium model, but right below that next to the shifter you can see whether it has the air suspension switches. They'll be right above the 4lo switch. If they are blanks, it is probably a luxury model.
If you see a plain leather steering wheel & leather shift knob with none of the things I listed above, it is likely a base model.
If you see a REAR button on the dash below the stereo, it has the 3 zone AC with a separate condenser unit out back & is likely to also have the AC seats. Which are awesome in hot climates

dcg141

Adventurer
Carmax usually has a good selection of GXs, though not the greatest prices. You have to scour the pics pics pretty well to figure out which of the 3 packages you're looking at, but dead giveaways are:
Electric switches inside the rear barn door indicate a power third row, that should be a fully loaded premium.
Mark Levinson logo on radio also indicates premium model, but right below that next to the shifter you can see whether it has the air suspension switches. They'll be right above the 4lo switch. If they are blanks, it is probably a luxury model.
If you see a plain leather steering wheel & leather shift knob with none of the things I listed above, it is likely a base model.
If you see a REAR button on the dash below the stereo, it has the 3 zone AC with a separate condenser unit out back & is likely to also have the AC seats. Which are awesome in hot climates
Looking for Nav, towing pkg, no cracked dash and no rust. With that I admit I'm trying to find a bargain. Here is the process that seems to be happening locally. Someone trades one in at a new car dealer. Then they may list it but they are looking to unload them to smaller dealers. Not sure why, possibly the age and mileage. By time the smaller dealer gets them they are over priced. I can see the movement on the carfax reports. The last one I tracked went to 2 dealers before it ended up at the lot its on now. Would love to find one before they go to the new dealer and trade.

Last edited:

dcg141

Adventurer
My favorite for sale by an owner was on facebook. Only needs some bodywork....lol the rear end is destroyed. Its an obvious total just looking at the pics. Asking $6500...seriously.Lexus.jpg

JakeH

Adventurer
I didn't realize you were looking for a 470, my info above relates to the later 460 model.

As far as finding a bargain, that is tough on Toyota or lexus models around my area. People tend to hold onto them & the dealers seem to know what they're worth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles