Lexus GX 460 & 470 owner's thread

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Thanks @JakeH for starting this thread!!!
The GX is an AMAZING vehicle! Very, VERY capable off road in stock configuration (I have '07 Sport)!! I've got the up-size from stock tire 70 series rather than stock 65s, and this rig is AMAZING!! And also quite comfortable, quiet, powerful, spacious, safe, and did I say capable! The GX is amazing!
Coming from Subaru, AWD is All We'll Drive and the GX AWD is amazing, plus the Torsen locking center making a proper 4WD is amazing. Lock on the fly! There's no compariston to it's 120 series bretheren. The GX IS a different vehicle from the FJ and 4R that shared the 120 platform. The cabin space (vs 4th gen 4R and arguably 5th gen too) is greater and mor comfortable. I need not go on about the Lexus leather, and the interior trim and fitment is tops. The cabin is QUIET and this cruiser is cruiser quality. Tightly built, no rattles or cheap plastic as with other midsize SUVs, and the sound insulation from road noise is amazing. Mileage sux, but you know that going in. That's a variable that falls off the radar when one really compares theGX to others.
million mile engine, tops for trim and build quality, truly comfortable as a road cruiser (long-haul road trips), and really off-the-floor capable to-boot! Cruise to the trail @ 70-80 MPH quietly and comfortably, rock the trail confidently. I've done up to easy-difficults no problem (living in Moab with off the pavement capability is sort of requisite). We love our GX, only 2-year's ownership and now completely understand what a luxury vehicle is about!!! I think there's no going back now.
emoji_u1f608.png

But capability aside, the comfort for long-hauls (we did a 4800 mile road trip this summer, and 3K last year) is just great. . . . .

@ mo4130, rear-facing seats: No problem. the 2nd row is spacious and can easily fit and accommodate loading a rear-facing child seat. And with the hight and stance it so much easier to load a kid in the back seats than in a car (bending over...). I've gotten 2 boosters and a stage 2 forward facing or rear-facing car seat in mine. With the third row, boosters are perfect... It's great that we can take family and us all in one rig now, whereas before we had to shuttle around in 2 vehicles...
on and on I'd go. ;)
tvPH28iKqqhOTAv5lO6S7l1WCFQ-bw_DF-_HQM9uWUnbo4CAkdyHJOwE1K8L-dGtPXo9CPnE0pVkHB-G0FGH1X5Ah8pV7tdkGvZCS2OaN7HN8IO70vW-3t5ttEm1xkZrtt4wS2Xj9b6-Gt3Mdxs0brcQ-62Ub9qsDeoQOZeMAqdmk3ibAvMq8mBwwBcaEceeCzKp2A5XQKaWmx_DynR9AyeixGt0_caMfyAHfQg0Ozu8DyqDXwyB7CVrBKXrlkhpUcNf9uAzD85heWNqG6qesAU1vu0IE-Q0AKIhMHx9trjNY_7pyccXI9SIqVdDirhfe22MvcbAvMYfWdU7bO79vudzt_83q2UYd5qRU2l2Or7Z8OZxJk-75AF8MyctZqh77AymzmrKGIUueGdtDgwssCnGs19mFaBpDWVb0VgRvs-0uM2NHCTCQ2i7CH7tp7r-Yud_LdSdufu7mlbWJHG96HUlDhrjv_LR-t57w2ed2ccAnE0TSoQZ01sBVTiPg9bkUM5tbGV0sPAIiQLg3_YLuL4DHx9OOJmyFYJx_TN5dWbCkNBjghLjaKMKfK1PP6lpVBTs2KFXMd7UW9WqStfSZFqBec3TOestDhq2ikRUQH9LPgvFivJHKUm7Ha14U0lvRtsmBmhQneIa3piptVSbHpw_MMxFxaGQglN94qURbPFJ8-J89VoZErS6FR-8ngBoT5mOkhfa7gnxt4vtKE8=w846-h626-no

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hi7dXUuaiwfEPSMs6
lRUD1ER0Uu-GMywYApu6kaG9eNH9cq52hdg6Mj3X6VoPaFAuKFqg_EFNslgwiWpeVk0FY2q8DMEPo4BMsvBBDX5SmDx-y-b4xeiHhB8AdyqAvJtZ4qYygFQhKlhjLl1_sgV62kXzo3yGSDYvvCs5IgY4lE_1CmEHJle-ZWUkFx5AaO229Ay0F8dTrO6XzNIk3ExbTLEyiIz2O-xjtkU8UpAFkCrmdft3xi2EY0JUJwytG8gBJNDUoUfDq_3s_MSa8yrODPgoXFfTghUtfPXGcFbhtC2hb_ADT0Y3T4gwa7dBgjN651G4wXhzQNylF-_ydBme8RofQ5oSQxU8LWR6HzuIpwCGpSlMDrdHDfnqh6ecubZeFyGBR-qz4eu7EkrOEs5dtp4xL42YzfupjUflfahp-9DeD4QVXxOm1UjymT-wirSjuIdIec0m0jeIcJscmrT41x-PewaazKfcGUDifOCN0wwOQRcJ3m80ATEB56wejNPMp8Ap7yl9R9HNy0hx4WFEie9yXK6bqftTFe601uTur1ciiZtwqSLC6CVlRrGLo6vY_AJWQHWDZ4nlCLH7yPfzrAzOFoz3XVdXIc0dTJVPc0TIM0e4j82aKY20jqnmphudBgD_KI219qLpqcl__yoamOK3PmG9NB-DxqWl1JaWKJofNKYst8DYPoRljKC-D21ULL76fi10Oanw7423-noXNaP3ub6zrPXrEcU=w450-h626-no

I'm fine with the barn door. Yeah a tailgate would be handy, and an overhead hatch for shade/rain, but it's an easy trade-off for the capability, quiet, roominess, and reliability.

Last edited:

JakeH

Adventurer
I totally agree legacy. We just got from Houston Texas to summit county Colorado & back in perfect comfort with no issues whatsoever. The road to our cabin is no joke & was covered in snow & ice as usual, but the GX handles it all with ease. She climbs like a mountain goat!

Dalko43

Explorer
I just finished a drive into the middle of the Adirondacks...all main roads, but 4wd, slow-going due to the weather and road conditions.

My 4Runner averaged about 21mpg for the trip (mostly highway) though around town in the winter usually sees the mpg’s plummet to 14 mpg. I felt as confident as one could driving well past sunset into somewhat desolate country; this 4Runner has never given me cause for concern and it’s probably gotten me out of a few situations that I had no business going into.

Only thing missing is driver comfort (which really starts to matter on the longer trips). Granted my 4Runner is an early base model; there are more recent ones which have better luxury options. But I am thinking of getting a GX for my next vehicle as it seems to have the best of both worlds (comfort and capability).

Heated seats and a little less road noise would’ve made for a more pleasant experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlin

Adventurer
Liftgates suck when you are tall... I have nearly concussed myself on the corners of open liftgates more than once.

...and tailgates suck when you're short - I could never reach a damn thing with my FJ80, at least now I stand a chance with the GX barn door when reaching in to retrieve goods. Ha!

No dog in this fight (re: which is better - they're ALL great products from Mr. T) but I couldn't be happier with my built '08 GX. No going back and I'll be driving this thing for a good many years to come.

Last edited:

JakeH

Adventurer
Not a great color & way too much elevation on that rack setup, but I bet that bad boy would take you anywhere you wanted to go. Up to & including the famous Rubicon that Jeep manages to get their grand Cherokee up. Nothing wrong with the jeep or their tests, just saying I think a GX/prado is every bit as capable

eloist

Adventurer
We've owned a one owner, Atlanta, 2004 for about 5 months. Bought it with 135k. We also looked for a 4Runner but couldn't find a good one in our range.

I've had to do some maintenance and repairs on it, but nothing crazy. It's a great truck, we like it a lot. It's currently the kid hauler and runabout truck. Our Rover is the adventure wagon, but hopefully I'll be able to build this one out too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chiz45

I remember back in June 2014 contemplating between a 470 and a brand new 4runner. I remember the swing out door being the killer for me at the time, as well as lack of warranty, and a bunch of miles vs. new, so I never even drove it. I built the 5th mildly, and it has been fun and dependable. Fast forward to 2017, a great deal on an '08 GX popped up, it seemed like a no-brainer.

The paper stats don't do these V8s justice. While the HP for the 5th gen is listed at 270hp, 263hp for the GX, the torque is noticeable (4R 278; GX has 323). I gave the wife a choice between the '14 and the '08; she chose the 10 year old truck with no hesitation. She drives it daily, and I get it on weekends lol

Now I am seeing several 460s being built up nicely. A new dilemma now--build the mostly stock 470, or move to a 460???

erikburga

Bought a 460 '10 Premium (Levinson and adjustable suspension) w 100k in May. Lovin' it! Great sound, great suspension, strong engine, great off road capabilities. Interior space and the barn door not my favorite, though. Had a Pilot previously and it was considerably roomier. Gas mileage also not great, but as somebody said, you opted in knowingly upfront. I only use regular gas with no issues, and with the current prices doesn't hurt as much.
https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html
The upside of this is that since it is not turbocharged, less things that will eventually stop working and extended engine life. A note for people debating over 470 or 460, consider that the 470 has a timing belt and the 460 a timing chain - the belt you must replace at 80-100k, the chains are usually good for the life of the car.
Based on the mileage I thought I had to replace the shocks so I bought a pair of new 4600 Bilstein shocks for the rear - big mistake! Even though they fit well size-wise, they turned out to be softer than the used stock ones due to the extra weight of the vehicle (I guess).

So first of all is anybody with a 4Runner 5th looking for an almost new pair of Bilstein rear shocks? Only used them for a month and then took them off and put back the used stock ones. I posted them on Houston's Craigslist if interested. see link below.

https://houston.craigslist.org/pts/d/bilstein-brunnerrear-2-shocks/6755200789.html

Next question does anybody know when Bilstein will come out with a specific shocks for these trucks?

On the oil changes, note that most full synthetic oils go for 10k, some even 15k, especialky with the 8 qts it uses and if you don't submit your engine to too demanding conditions regularly.

Looking forward to enjoying it for the next 100k at least.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JakeH

Adventurer
Welcome Erik! Great info on the shocks, I never thought 4600s would be that different between the 2 trucks. I'm also in Houston & there are a few nicely built GX examples floating around the 290 corridor these days. I'm sure plenty more across the city I haven't seen, it's a great platform!

erikburga

Actually, the GX, the 4R, and the FJC all can fit the same shocks size-wise. But the weight differences are considerable.

GX - 5400 lbs
4R - 4800 lbs
FJC - 4300 lbs

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Weldnrod

Recently got mine handed down from the wife's daily driver with 200k on it. Did the timing belt and a few other things. 2" lift with 285s. Hit the trails and broke the ring and pinion. About to order a 8.2 and get back at it. Love this truck!

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    543.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    393.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 245

Forum statistics

Threads