Lexus GX 460 & 470 owner's thread

Yes, you will absolutely notice the gx460 is bigger. It's a few inches wider a few inches longer with real AC vents in the roof for the back seat. In fact, some like mine have a dedicated rear ac compressor to feed them

Thanks. I've also read they require premium gas. Is that a recommendation or a requirement?

joshashley80

I love mine. '05 w/KDSS.

m96QBMP.png
Is this a metal tech rear, with swing arm removed? What sliders are those? Nice looking truck.

JakeH

Adventurer
I've run mine on regular gas a few times for texas flat road trips between houston & DFW. Mileage does suffer a bit but I haven't seen any other side effects. The 4.6l is just an effortless cruiser at 80mph.

Subspd

Adventurer
0a40e8941a418930e106a8dbcbe55408.jpg

GX isn’t a compromise it’s a choice. I have owned them all (80, 100, 4Runner, Tacoma) this is the one to get. V8 and transfer case of the 100, smaller size of the 4Runner. BUT you get way more headroom and cargo space than a 4Runner while keeping the narrow width making it better on trails than a 100/200. Also better international parts supply (because Prado 120).
Also the 100 front end is expensive to get parts for. He GX swaps with all the other smaller Toyota products. (Taco, FJ, 4r)

Biggest downsides: 1. wish it had the 100 rear tailgate instead of the swing out door. 2. Wish it had the 4Runner center console instead of the arm rests. 3. Weak 8” rear axle. Like all pre 10’ Toyota’s. Except the 100. (Can be swapped with a 8.2 or 9.5)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakeH

Adventurer
There's a guy=girl here in Houston I see every day at 5:15 sitting in 290 traffic at Jones road with a sweet gx470. Has a bumper sticker on his lifted GX that say GXDR. Anybody know him or her?

Johan H Marais

Amen to that! Why does everyone hate on the side swinging door? Never bothers me...

I do have the South African version of the GX, which is the Prado 120 with the same V6 as the FJ, but I have the spare on the rear door and I have dual fuel tanks, and also the swing out door. The door can be a pain sometimes but I will not trade the swing out door for the lift up hatch.

JakeH

Adventurer
Does your spare tire have a swingout carrier of some kind, or is it just added weight on the same door hinge?

chunko

Observer
Does your spare tire have a swingout carrier of some kind, or is it just added weight on the same door hinge?

The Prado's spare carrier was integrated into the rear door- no separate carrier. The rear door is different from the models without the spare tire carrier- this is a 150 but you can see that the sheetmetal, at least, is different and the hinges may also be beefed up.

chunko

Observer
It would be awesome if we would have gotten the aux tank with the door carrier. Cruiser Brothers just came out with an LRA 33 gal aux tank for the GX, though so I will have to figure out a spare situation if I go with that, which I really want to. That would give me a little over 900 miles of highway range and over 600 off road.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If the GX had a stronger rear-end and the split tail-gate/lift-gate of the LC it would be an easy choice due to it's price point, size, power. The barn door is a killer for a lot of us, I hated it on the ones we have owned and on my FJC. That said, if it's not my DD or main vehicle then I can live with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles