Lexus GX 460 & 470 owner's thread

Tex68w

Beach Bum
r3gemw6.jpg

BringMeWinch

I've had my 2008 GX470 for just over a year. I bought it with 88k and I'm sitting at 103k now. This SUV continues to impress me. I daily drive it and use it for road trips, camping trips, hunting, hauling and trailer pulling, bike and kayak transport, etc. I was looking at 4th and 5th gen 4runners as well as a Tundra when I came across an article calling the GX the best kept secret in off-road SUVs. I think the secret is out...View attachment 570108View attachment 570109View attachment 570110View attachment 570111View attachment 570112View attachment 570113
I just completed a coil conversion with a 2" rear lift. New front Bilstein struts and Freedom Off-Road UCAs will be installed this coming weekend.
What roof rack is that? I like the simple, low-profile design. Is the wind noise tolerable?

I bought this gx a few weeks ago. I love it! Original owner. 72k miles. My rtt is already on. About to do complete tune up 6/22. I love it! Way better than my 98 4Runner which I loved.

Attachments

• 341208FA-F7BD-4415-A664-A215B525E9E5.png
    341208FA-F7BD-4415-A664-A215B525E9E5.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 100

nimslerpon

Please correct me if this is the wrong thread for this question, but I'm curious what insights anyone might be willing to share for a prospective GX470 owner (myself).
I've been told to check for timing belt and water pump replacement on higher mileage vehicles, but is there a ballpark mileage these components start to fail?
I've also been warned that the navigation system in first generation 470's is connected to the climate control and can be an expensive fix when it eventually fails. Anyone have any experience with this? If this is the case, is there a work-around? I live in AZ and this will be my daily driver as well as my hunting rig, so reliable AC is essential.

True Grip

Timing belt and water pump should be replaced every 100,000 miles for preventative maintenance. The Nav models and the KDSS models just add a level of complexity that may need addressing at some point. I’d recommend finding a non nav non KDSS model and if over 100,000 miles if the timing belt and water pump hasn’t been replaced figure that into negotiation. Figure about 1200$ to replace TB and WP.

nimslerpon

Timing belt and water pump should be replaced every 100,000 miles for preventative maintenance. The Nav models and the KDSS models just add a level of complexity that may need addressing at some point. I’d recommend finding a non nav non KDSS model and if over 100,000 miles if the timing belt and water pump hasn’t been replaced figure that into negotiation. Figure about 1200$ to replace TB and WP.

Thanks, this helps a ton!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
So I've said this before- I am highly considering a GX. I need a truck but I believe I can make due with a GX because when they're modified, they look damn good.

Would love opinions on the interior and the dash/entertainment area...From the pics I 've seen, it looks very outdated and could use a serious refurbish.

Question for those familiar with the 4.6L in the 460. Are these prone to have the secondary air pump failure that's so common in the other engines? Is there anything else I should be aware of with the 4.6L?

F350joe

So I've said this before- I am highly considering a GX. I need a truck but I believe I can make due with a GX because when they're modified, they look damn good.

Would love opinions on the interior and the dash/entertainment area...From the pics I 've seen, it looks very outdated and could use a serious refurbish.

08 and 09 470 do have an AUX port. The Mark Levinson system sounds amazing but the head unit is super dated. This is a nice solution.,. https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pr...d-navigation-radio-for-lexus-gx-470-2003-2009

F350joe

Yeah I saw that!! No reviews tho...Know anyone who has done it? Because that looks great!

The XGOR facebook group has a ton of post about it. Some people have had some bugs but overall seems pretty cool. You Can run Gaia, vehicle data, music and all from it. Youtube has some vids too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles