Leveling a camper for a propane fridge

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Just wait until you learn what a 12v DC replacement fridge can do!.........like use no propane, freeze food in an hour or two, run 24/7 on a small solar/battery system, give you more space inside and if that's not enough........work at any angle short of 90 degrees! :D
How are they at night for sleeping in a camper? Do they emit a hum? If it's overcast can the panel provide enough juice to recharge the camper batteries? Keeping things cool while driving would be a huge plus. We freeze Nalgene bottles and place them in the door until we reach our destination. 12v as you know is worthless. I have to say one thing though. Knock on wood,the fridge has worked everytime for 20 yrs now. No maintenance,nothing.

86scotty

Cynic
Like your home fridge they have a compressor and fan, albeit smaller. There is a faint noise from a DC fridge when it cycles. It certainly doesn't bother me and this isn't something that I've ever seen mentioned more than once or twice. I guess if you are a really light sleeper it could be a problem but as I said, not a common complaint at all.

If you have an aux battery setup for your needs cloudy days aren't a problem. Once again, those who live in northern climates might be able to speak to this better. These fridges are very efficient. We generally start our rig at least once a day for something and it's never been a problem for us but we are southern U.S.

Not sure what you mean about 12v as worthless (for freezing water bottles???). 12v fridges can be used as freezers. They work very well for this.

Check out this thread:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I always just took out and put a little square plastic bubble level on the center console of the truck when I was parking - most of the time could get close enough before shutting off the truck or getting out. If we needed blocks then DW became a pro but we used the same simple level.

Only problem we ever had with the LP fridge was occasionally blowing out the pilot in high winds while driving - couldn't run it off batteries, was at least 600w continuous IIRC but was efficient on propane

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Just wait until you learn what a 12v DC replacement fridge can do!.........like use no propane, freeze food in an hour or two, run 24/7 on a small solar/battery system, give you more space inside and if that's not enough........work at any angle short of 90 degrees! :D
Yep. We endured a propane fridge in our Bigfoot for years and it was a constant hassle. We added ventilation, always tried to park it so it would be on the shady side of the camper in the afternoon, etc.

I might have a hard time replacing an absorption fridge with a compressor driven model if it was working, but no way would I buy an absorption fridge. Batteries and solar are too cheap and plentiful these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier