Level & lift? Lift only? Level only? Help me decide!

dustyrusty

Read the OP and not the rest of it...a little TLDR for my taste. Anyway, I own a 2010 Frontier Pro4x...so basically the same vehicle. I would say avoid simply leveling the vehicle. Mine was leveled using the stock coils and Bilstein 5100s set at a 1.5" lift.

Pros:
Looked good.

Cons:
Front was stiffer than stock due to the preload in the shock set to lift the front end.
Couldn't see anything over the front end and had to pick lines basically a mile ahead of my vehicle.
Departure angle still is horrific.

Solution:
I will be lowering the 5100s to stock height and removing the stock coils with OME MD lift coils (607s I believe). This should give me roughly the same lift up front while improving the ride quality.
I don't know about you, but leveling doesn't remove the issue of smacking your trailer hitch and bumper on any sort of steep transition. I am going to match my 2" front lift with a 2" rear lift with OME Dakar MD leaf springs and Bilstein 5125s. So far, everything I have read on this website (full of smart people) and other websites (clubfrontier, the newx, etc.) seems to line up with my school of thought that this will be perfect for my needs. My truck is my daily driver, but I use it on occasion to access more remote areas to camp, fish, etc.

As for feeling expansion cracks in the road, welcome to driving a truck. If that bothers you, you should've bought a sedan.

JakeH

Adventurer
Yeah those coils from OME are sweet, do they require longer front shocks or can you still run 4600 bilsteins? I don't really need to maintain my departure angle, I don't get to crawl. I'm mostly highway & dirt road at home, forest roads covered with pack snow elsewhere.

dustyrusty

I don't crawl either. Most of my departure angle problems have come entering exiting washes and here and there on steeper mountain roads.

I wouldn't know about using the stock 4600s, my truck came with the 5100s. But I have had the 5100s on every truck I've owned because it's such an easy and inexpensive upgrade to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior