Lets talk welders and tools

Sikocycles

Adventurer
Ok so these awesome threads gave me the bug to build a trailer. I have no welding experience so I know i will need to practice some.
I would like to know what you guys use for welders so I know what I will need to buy. I cant spend a boat load into the welder because the wife would flip out. I also see those red arrow magnets alot of people use. Who makes those?

There is one of these at a local pawn shop for $300 and wondering if it is adequate for weld up a frame and everything else?
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...00P?sid=IDxCMDFx20140801x001&KPID=00920569000

Thank you

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
http://weldfabulous.com/ Drool away

Now lets talk welder and tools:

This greatly depends on your budget. But many will chime in with buy it once and buy quality.

Hand tools- Craftsman is great for the weekend warrior. Good return policy through Sears/Kmart
Harbor Freight- Good for cheap tools you will destroy or loose ( electronics are a gamble)

Welding- Blue or Red ! pick what is supported by your local welding shop - this way you never have to worry about consumables on the weekend in the middle of a project. Personally I think the Lincoln 180mig is the best bang for the buck. I have one that is 10 years old and has been bounced around a chase truck, borrowed by friends, forgotten outside, and abused.. It still burns metal down like butter. This line up is supported by most of the big box home stores ( Lowes/ Homedepot) this is great when sunday afternoon you mess up your last .030 tip.

Miller electric makes outstanding welders as you jump into the higher end machines. I ran 4 miller 252's 6 days a week 8-10 hours a day.. These are workhorses and probably WAY overkill.

One other brand to consider is Yellow- ESAB not as popular as the above but incredibly powerful/reliable consumables might be harder to find.

Get 220 capable machine and get it on gas.. Yes you can use fluxcore use you can use a stick welder... Save yourself the learning curve.

Make the wife something nice as your first project.. She will slowly forgive you. :)

Sikocycles

Adventurer
Thank you for the advice. I will need to see if I have 220v in my garage to see if I can run the Lincoln 180. If not would the 140 be adequate since it run on 110v?

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Adding a 220 outlet is super simple and cheap.( depending on the location of your box) . In many cases you can unplug your dryer and snag power from there ( extension cord)

Will 110 work? yes. Here is my experience with 110. I would stick to non structural projects until you get the hang of it. However, MARK MY WORDS!!! once you get the hang of it will start making all kinds of parts ( your neighbors will become best friends) You will quickly realize you often don't have the juice needed to get a deep and proper welds. Instead you end up with glue not fusion. The worst statement you will hear is " looks like crap but I am sure it is strong enough" lol.... So yes 110 works.. but in the end you will wish or purchase 220v

97kurt

Adventurer
Go with gas, avoid flux core. Feel free to use flux core a few times just so you appreciate what gas shielding does though.

If 220 is a no go for your garage (my first garage was that way) then get the biggest 120v unit you can find or a dual voltage one for future proofing. I started on a Hobart 140 and then later moved to a Miller 211. Both great machines and since Miller makes most of the hobart internals you cant really go wrong.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Good thread. Been wanting to learn to weld for years.

If you can dedicate a little time you can often find great programs at Adults Schools, and Community colleges. If time is not on your hands spend some money at your local fab shop and offer to pay the owner a few bucks to get a couple of hours of time behind the mask with some teaching.. Pick their brains on what machines they recommend...

bat

Explorer
I have a Hobart 140 and use straight Co2 ( burns hotter) and it does anything I need, when I need more I can walk across the street and use my neighbors Miller 211 never.

Sikocycles

Adventurer
I will have an electrician from work and come over and install the 220v. I will run everything and he can do the hook up.
I looked for schools around here and there is nothing close. I am trying to find a welder to teach me now. Just priced the 180 at HD so I will go with that.

97kurt

Adventurer
One advantage of going with a Lincoln (I am a miller fan) is that home depot sells their parts. So running out of wire or needing a tip on the weekend is never an issue with them.

As for your other question, the magnets can be gotten at harbor freight for cheap. Like $5 each. Keep them in a ziplock bag when not in use as they will pick up any metal shavings and grinder dust in the area and are a pain to clean.

Also, when it comes to grinders. Watch home depot for when they sell the two pack of dewalts for $80 or $90 and get two of them. One for grinding, one for cutting. Its a huge time saver. Also, do not get a 4" model, always get the 4.5" grinder.

v_man

Explorer
my .02 cents...

-Weld with a shielding gas, flux core spatter is ugly and definitely bush league
-Get good welding attire, a decent auto darkening mask (spend at least $75) , a heavy shirt/jacket, leather gloves (Stallion)
-Get a decent angle grinder , you're going to be cutting and grinding metal much much more than you weld,
prep work and finish work takes a lot of time
-forget signing up for classes, get your welder, get a bunch of scrap metal, and start welding
practice the basic joints: butt joint, corner joints, and lap joints
-learn how to find your breaker box in the dark for when you inevitably trip the breaker at night
-always get metal as bare and shiny as possible before you zap it, make sure your ground is bare as possible

and...

-fix or make something for your spouse immediately to show usefulness of your new toy

RagnarD

Adventurer
I was in your boat a few years ago. I ended up with a Millermatic 252 and have been glad I went for the bigger machine. At the very least, get a 220V machine. I have enjoyed the higher duty cycle of the 252 while practicing. No need to stop to let the machine cool. Definitely use gas, C25 is pretty standard. Just purchase a large bottle and be done with it.

T-Magnets suck, IMO. They are great at collecting metal chips etc and not setting flat/true. Still wanting to try the stronghand version with the switches.

Can never have to many vise grips and c-clamps. I like vise grip brand and have not had issues with my craftsman c-clamps.

There is a good chance you will end up with 3-4 grinders. One for flap disk, grinder wheel, wire brush, cut off wheel.

Buy a good chop saw and a small stack of wheels to go with it. Magnetic levels, a few squares, and fire extinguisher :)

As others have mentioned, hood, jacket, skull cap, face shield, gloves, etc.

May also want to get an O2/C2H2 rig for heating stuff up and cutting.

Your first project will obviously have to be a welding table.

Cant hurt to start planning for a drill press and bits as well.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Personally I like Miller, but you won't go wrong with Lincoln. I would really shy away from anything Harbor Freight, or Sears, or anything that isn't Miller or Lincoln. Those two are supported anywhere a town has a welding supply company. Lincoln seems to have support at both Lowes and Home Depot.

Speaking of, before I bought at Home Depot I'd check out eBay. I've bought a fair amount of big ticket items from a place called weldingsuppliesatioc. First rate service every time and the last thing I bought was a big plasma cutter that my local welding supply said they couldn't buy for the price I was getting.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy the biggest you can afford that your electric service will support. You'll be surprised how big some of your projects will get material wise. My last big one at home was a 4x8 welding table with a 1" thick top plate.

And get on board with that project for your wife. It'll make getting forgiveness a whole lot easier. Forgiveness, not permission. ;)

I'm sure there's a boatload of guys here that are way craftier than I when doing detailed welding work, but when it comes to shear pounds of material burned, I bet I've burned more rod than everybody on here...combined. ;). Hehe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior