Lets talk tires!

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
For my casual bikepacking/commuting/ klunker Trek 930. I'm torn between Schwalbe Marathon GT365 26x2.0 flat protection and more aggressive tread or Schwalbe Big Apple in 26x2.35 road slick with some flat protection. I have one Schwalbe Marathon Extreme HS402(discontinued) 26x2.2 and I was thinking of pairing it with the Marathon GT365 26x2.0. But part of me has been wanting to try the Big Apples thinking they will ride like a plus bike.

Flounder any input on a beater summer tire for Anchorage and some bush roads?
GT365
marathon_gt_365_0.jpg
Big Apple
Schwalbe-Big-Apple-Plus-Performance-GreenGuard-Endurance-26-Wired-Tyre-36501-0-1481261519.jpg
Marathon Extreme HS402 (may keep may sell?)
HS402.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I know two of these tires very well. The Big Apples are smooooooth like butter. Those things float down the road. We have relatively clean roads and trails down here, so I do quite well with averting flats. That said, my buddy Chad from Alaska did a little bike ride from Anchorage to Tierra del Fuego and if I'm not mistaken, did the entire South American leg on one set of the Marathon Extremes. Definitely not more than two sets. I know he used one set from AK to Arizona. So...that's impressive. I find they ride like wood, but they're what I put on my wife's townie/fitness bike because she's not the best flat fixer. Tough choice. Ride quality goes to the Big Apples, for sure.

Last edited:

Sisyphus

Adventurer
I know two of these tires very well. The Big Apples are smooooooth like butter. Those things float down the road. We have relatively clean roads and trails down here, so I do quite well with averting flats. That said, my buddy Chad from Alaska did a little bike ride from Anchorage to Tierra del Fuego and if I'm not mistaken, did the entire South American leg on one set of the Marathon Extremes. Definitely not more than two sets. I know he used one set from AK to Arizona. So...that's impressive. I find they ride like wood, but they're what I put on my wife's townie/fitness bike because she's not the best flat fixer. Tough choice. Ride quality goes to the Big Apples, for sure.

I have no direct experience with these tire choices but 3 of my cousins who did Anchorage-Ushuaia can also vouch for the durability of the Marathon Extremes, as they used the same set for the entire trip.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
great info. It is like talking my wife into a Callen Camper over a Scamp, I'll be happy with the outcome. Here is the rig. I put it in the junk room after Mondays commute that dislocated my shoulder on some spring ice overflow on my way home from work. I'm ready to take the snowcats off and put summer tires on but that is weeks away.
20170321_212123.jpg

Attachments

• 20170321_212123.jpg
    20170321_212123.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 5

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Since being out of the "loop" for so long. can like a 26x2.3-2.5 fit on my 26" full suspension bike? or are they made for the newer stuff!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Since being out of the "loop" for so long. can like a 26x2.3-2.5 fit on my 26" full suspension bike? or are they made for the newer stuff!
Depends mostly on the bike. Most "larger" normal width tires will be in the 2.3 to 2.4 range and would most likely fit an older 26-inch full susser. Really just depends on the particular frame, not so much fork.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader

Just what Christophe said. I took off my old Rockshox Indy and put the Surly 1x1 fork on. I have room for large tires on that fork but then you run into limitations if you are running rim brakes like I am. I have mine set up with the early fatbike wheels from All Weather Sports in Fairbanks call the Snowcat. They are 44mm wide and square out the tire profile for more stud contact and lower psi. The hard part is getting the rim brakes lined up on the rim when they are that wide. I run a 2.3 up front and a 2.1 in the rear for frame clearance. From early Alaska snow ice bike knowledge the +/-2005 Cannondale F400 hardtails have clearance for WTB 2.5 tires like Weirwolf and Shaved Timberwolf. If you were lucky you could get the coveted Nokian Gazzaddi 26x3.0. Surly makes the Dirt Wizard in 26x2.75 aggressive tread but one other tire I would like to try is the Surly Extra Terrestrial 26x2.5 for hardpack dirt use with flat protection.
1059612d1459013762-surly-extraterrestrial-tire-p1150925.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My FS bike has Disc on the front now and provisions for disc on the rear. I am getting ready to strip it to remove all the carbon steel garbage and install some aluminum/titanium light goodies.....so Then I will add discs in the rear too. Cool...I will have to break out the ole measuring tape!

p nut

butter
I've had 26x2.35 Big apples and Marathon Plus Tour
-
http://www.wiggle.com/schwalbe-marathon-plus-tour-wired-mtb-road-tire/
-
The MPT's were bombproof. Never EVER got a flat. I was especially thankful, riding in the dark, on those cold, wet days, knowing I'd not have to worry about fixing a flat. Downside? Ride was horrible. Super stiff tire.
-
The BA's were on my cargo bike. Super smooth ride. Glides over everything. More prone to flats, but not bad.
-
If I had to choose: I would go BA's, because the ride is sublime. But only if my bikepacking routes are tame enough for a slick tire. (although, I've found you can ride some pretty rough stuff on slicks. Just watch those turns). This is the same reason I choose to ride Compass road tires. More prone to flats, but....the ride....!

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I've had 26x2.35 Big apples and Marathon Plus Tour
-
http://www.wiggle.com/schwalbe-marathon-plus-tour-wired-mtb-road-tire/
-
The MPT's were bombproof. Never EVER got a flat. I was especially thankful, riding in the dark, on those cold, wet days, knowing I'd not have to worry about fixing a flat. Downside? Ride was horrible. Super stiff tire.
-
The BA's were on my cargo bike. Super smooth ride. Glides over everything. More prone to flats, but not bad.
-
If I had to choose: I would go BA's, because the ride is sublime. But only if my bikepacking routes are tame enough for a slick tire. (although, I've found you can ride some pretty rough stuff on slicks. Just watch those turns). This is the same reason I choose to ride Compass road tires. More prone to flats, but....the ride....!

Great info. When I picture what I want out of the bike I keep thinking of adding an xtraCycle and Big Apples to it.

Phil8ABug

I've really enjoyed my Schwalbe Mondial tires. They are 700x40 on a Trek 520, there is a little more rolling resistance but having an "all road" tire is great.

Hnoroian

Observer
Could you use slightly skinnier? Michelin country rock has always preformed great for me and long wearing. Wish they made a 27.5...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles