Lets talk small generators!

TantoTrailers

I am in the market for a small (and quiet) generator to keep my 110Ah AMG battery topped off when I'm parked in the shade. My fridge and other devices run my battery down each day more than my solar can regenerate when not in full sun. Usually down to 75% or so. I have a Victron IP67 shore charger in the rig. I'm not looking to break the bank but I also don't want to have to buy a new unit anytime soon. I imagine this would run several hours each day at camp when I am in a shaded spot. That might result to 7-10 days a month, up to 120 days a year during a really outdoorsy year.

Here are some I have found. Do you guys have any experience with these? Or any recommendations for others I didn't think of?

susswein

Observer
You don't need 2000 watts to charge a battery. I doubt your charger puts out more than 20 amps. Even with inefficiencies that's only 500 watts or so.

jkam

nomadic man
Most of the construction generators I've seen aren't quiet at all.
Before I bought one, I'd want to hear it running.

madmax718

Explorer
I have that one.

Yes. Its been pretty reliable for me, but I've only got like 30-40 hrs on it over 3 years that I've owned it. Mine is green but otherwise the same. I don't know what sort of battery your using, or how many you have. There is a limit on charge rate for lead acids, so a larger generator will probably not be of any real use. Its got a really small gas tank. Overall, I like the unit. Its got a manual primer bulb, and a fuel shutoff so you can run it until you drain the carb.

madmax718

Explorer
Most of the construction generators I've seen aren't quiet at all.
Before I bought one, I'd want to hear it running.
This is an inverter generator. Its like a low buck honda EU 1000- so it can be about 5-10DB louder than the honda. You barely notice it 25feet away though.

madmax718

Explorer
Just to add another 2 cents, the sound of the sportsmen 1000 is a bit... tinnier and higher pitched than say the ryobi 2300 with bluetooth. The Ryobi unit is quieter, and also a bit deeper sounding and thus not nearly as irritating.

Just depends on your needs.

FlipperFla

IMO it s important to remember if some of these companies are going to be around in a couple years. Warranty issues,service, parts availability. Where is the local WEN dealership? That’s why the knockoffs of the Honda’s and Yamahas are half the price. I owned a Honda EX1000 When they first came out,had it for over 10 years, used it hundreds of hours, never had a issue started first pull every time. I upgraded to a Yamaha EF 2000 Inverter the 1000 struggled running the air or a small microwave, no problem charging battery banks. The Yamaha does it all. We were camping in Colorado and our Neighbor came over to chat, he was amazed how quiet it was compared to his Honda. I did lots of research and the Yamaha engine has twice the life expectancy of the Honda. It powers a 20A Xantrex Marine Charger with 2 group 31 AGMs. I had the same problem you do. If my truck was sitting at a boat ramp parking lot all day with the windows up the fridge ran constantly. The solar would barely offset the discharge from all day parked in the hot sun so my batteries weren’t fully charged for the upcoming night. Anyway you look at it, it’s a pretty big investment you will probably have for many years. I sold the Honda in about 10 minutes on Craig’s List for a couple hundred less than new, sure got my money worth out of that.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
I got a honda eu 2200i, works great, light and super quiet. Yes the Honda generators are expensive but they are by far the best and will last forever. Mine is bigger than what I need for camping, but I also use it around the home and for various projects such as building deer stands in the woods. My Honda ran for 4 days straight recently at my friends house during a storm, runs about 8 hrs or more on a tank of fuel. I prefer the Honda, you can get it repaired and they hold their value vs the Chinese knock offs.

if you dont care about quality and are after saving money, consider the generac copy of the Honda, they work good. Whatever you get, make sure it’s an inverted model.

Explorerinil

Observer
IMO it s important to remember if some of these companies are going to be around in a couple years. Warranty issues,service, parts availability. Where is the local WEN dealership? That’s why the knockoffs of the Honda’s and Yamahas are half the price. I owned a Honda EX1000 When they first came out,had it for over 10 years, used it hundreds of hours, never had a issue started first pull every time. I upgraded to a Yamaha EF 2000 Inverter the 1000 struggled running the air or a small microwave, no problem charging battery banks. The Yamaha does it all. We were camping in Colorado and our Neighbor came over to chat, he was amazed how quiet it was compared to his Honda. I did lots of research and the Yamaha engine has twice the life expectancy of the Honda. It powers a 20A Xantrex Marine Charger with 2 group 31 AGMs. I had the same problem you do. If my truck was sitting at a boat ramp parking lot all day with the windows up the fridge ran constantly. The solar would barely offset the discharge from all day parked in the hot sun so my batteries weren’t fully charged for the upcoming night. Anyway you look at it, it’s a pretty big investment you will probably have for many years. I sold the Honda in about 10 minutes on EBay for a couple hundred less than new, sure got my money worth out of that.
Yamaha and Honda are by far the best small generators on the market. I have little experience with the Yamaha but I hear they are awesome. i know a guy that recently upgraded his Honda generator for a new inverter model, sold his old one for about what he paid for it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You really cannot go wrong with a Yamaha or Honda quiet inverter series geni.
I love our 2kEU, as it can do a lot.

But if I was looking to ONLY charge battery banks, Id go with a 1kEU and a good high amperage 120V charger.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes unless you're actually poor

Honda EU2200i and a good quality 60A charger

Next time House bank needs replacing go LFP, will actually accept those amps, cut your recharge runtime by 50% or more.

For regular use I wouldn’t buy anything other than a Honda or Yamaha. For just battery charging a ~1000 watt would be plenty. For camping, or for anything, I would want something quiet which means inverter. The second hand market for Honda and Yamaha is also strong, so if you needed to part with it you could get a significant part of the cost back. I wouldn’t spend any amount on a used second tier generator. Buy once, cry once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz