Lets talk shovels

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Getting way off the subject here but I remember the first time I had to give a report to my ship Captain. I was very nervous but stumbled through it. When done he asked where I was from. Turned out we only lived a few miles apart so we too chatted some. But not like old beer buddies. I was only 19 at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had some of the same experiences. I was enlisted but tried to act like the officers when it came to interactions, such as, I kept the yelling at people for screwing up at a minimum. Typically, if I had to address a screw up, I would pull them to the side and handle it like two adults and talk to them. I was only speaking terms with a good number of officers and it was funny because it would make the enlisted, especially the other NCOs unhappy. LOL, as if asking if a LT or CPT was having a good day or asking about their classic car was somehow being belligerent.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Back on subject.

I would absolute spend the money on a compact, lightweight, high quality (lifetime piece of kit), small folding camp shovel. I'm currently on my third, small, folding Coleman brand backpack shovel. I carry them while moto camping for all sorts of camp duties but they simply are a $10 Chinese piece of junk that break. In the perfect world, due to weight issues, limited space and need for durability, if there was one made of titanium I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've looked for several years and have yet to find something as versatile as the crappy Coleman spade. A062AA3D-8433-4E3E-AB8F-19C0F90E0D43.jpeg

ITTOG

Back on subject.

I would absolute spend the money on a compact, lightweight, high quality (lifetime piece of kit), small folding camp shovel. I'm currently on my third, small, folding Coleman brand backpack shovel. I carry them while moto camping for all sorts of camp duties but they simply are a $10 Chinese piece of junk that break. In the perfect world, due to weight issues, limited space and need for durability, if there was one made of titanium I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've looked for several years and have yet to find something as versatile as the crappy Coleman spade. View attachment 655934
Do people ride ATV's in the area's you take your bike? Just curious given I am more of an ATV rider and it will hold a full size shovel, chainsaw, etc. easily.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Do people ride ATV's in the area's you take your bike? Just curious given I am more of an ATV rider and it will hold a full size shovel, chainsaw, etc. easily.

Yes. Of course most you'll need to trailer to the trailhead and then venture out from there. You could actually do the entire RR from Montrose to Moab and back via 300+/- miles of ohv trails, two track roads/tracks and probably disperse camp 4-5 days.

Check out Stay the Trail for current OHV routes in Colorado. We provide a free STT map with all our boxed ATC orders so, if they are out of maps pm me and I mail you a map. Be safe!

ITTOG

Yes. Of course most you'll need to trailer to the trailhead and then venture out from there. You could actually do the entire RR from Montrose to Moab and back via 300+/- miles of ohv trails, two track roads/tracks and probably disperse camp 4-5 days.

Check out Stay the Trail for current OHV routes in Colorado. We provide a free STT map with all our boxed ATC orders so, if they are out of maps pm me and I mail you a map. Be safe!

Oh man, that would be an awesome trip. I will have to add it to the bucket list. Probably a retirement trip. Thanks for the link, I will give it a review.

What is STT and ATC?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Back on subject.

I would absolute spend the money on a compact, lightweight, high quality (lifetime piece of kit), small folding camp shovel. I'm currently on my third, small, folding Coleman brand backpack shovel. I carry them while moto camping for all sorts of camp duties but they simply are a $10 Chinese piece of junk that break. In the perfect world, due to weight issues, limited space and need for durability, if there was one made of titanium I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've looked for several years and have yet to find something as versatile as the crappy Coleman spade. View attachment 655934

Gerber makes a good quality GI style folder but probably heavier than your Coleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Oh man, that would be an awesome trip. I will have to add it to the bucket list. Probably a retirement trip. Thanks for the link, I will give it a review.

What is STT and ATC?

Whenever we ship a box of Adventure Tool Company (ATC) gear out we include either a Stay The
Trail (STT) ohv map or a Colorado state map. It's fun to see those maps go all over the world.......Cheers and sounds like an incredible adventure!

LilKJ

Adventurer
Back on subject.

I would absolute spend the money on a compact, lightweight, high quality (lifetime piece of kit), small folding camp shovel. I'm currently on my third, small, folding Coleman brand backpack shovel. I carry them while moto camping for all sorts of camp duties but they simply are a $10 Chinese piece of junk that break. In the perfect world, due to weight issues, limited space and need for durability, if there was one made of titanium I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've looked for several years and have yet to find something as versatile as the crappy Coleman spade.

The soviet military was the one that used titanium shovels. If you google soviet titanium shovel, you should have no problem finding any size you want for under $100.

1618872234748.png

Charles R

Adventurer
I've found the Smittybilt tri-fold shovel is actually pretty robust. I've had zero problems with mine for 4-5 years now. I'm not sure if it's lighter than the Coleman though. I replaced the bag with a surplus military E-tool carrier, so I could use the MOLLE attachments.

geojag

I had always written off the tri-fold shivels, then I got a German military (Bund) built to NATO specs, it is very durable. I was also gifted a Gerber current NATO spec tri-fold, it looks very similar to the Smittybilt above but the head is welded instead of riveted. I used it to fill in a sizeable trench in sand, it did the job easier than I expected.
PXL_20210626_160717764.jpgPXL_20210626_160532181.jpgPXL_20210626_160631392.jpg

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have seen shovels that have 'teeth' on the business end but am wondering if there is any advantage in those over a regular, sharp round ended shovel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles