Lets talk shovels

drrobinson

The Bully Tools 92711 (D grip version) shovel has served me well for a few years now. Not very long, not very short, seems to do adequate in most scenarios. It’s made in the USA and pretty inexpensive.

+1 I have one of these too. Perfect size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
Like s.e.charles said, a hoe is much easier for certain tasks (insert all of the puns you want :ROFLMAO:). Seriously though, it's much easier to pull sand and even mud away from the tires/frame/whatever than it is to scoop, lift and move it- that work smart, not hard principle. I learned that from a couple of farmers who used them much more often for getting unstuck than a shovel. Less chance of jamming it into a tire as well.

The one I used to use was an older model with a welded socket style head, not the sleeved type that you most commonly find these days. I cut and removed the pin, drilled the hole in the handle slightly oversized and tapped in a a metal sleeve and put a bolt with star washer and a wingnut on it. The two pieces store more compactly than when it's assembled. I can't currently find it though so I need to make another. If I ever get around to it I'm going to set it up so that i can use the same handle with a shovel head.

In or on the Land Cruisers and trucks I've usually carried a D handle when traveling just for space consideration. The work well enough for my uses. When I was younger and my friends would call me to get them unstuck (when i had my FJ-40 w/ a Warn 8274) I would toss a full sized shovel in the back.

A WWII era US entrenching tool lives in the back of the truck full time and a couple of months ago I picked up a Cold Steel shovel after seeing some other people's. It does fine for digging small holes but it's more fun to throw at stumps or sections of log. It comes pretty sharp and you can easily sharpen it more if you want. One of those survival show winners carried one on his challenge and uses it a lot on his youtube channel; Fowler's Makery and Mischief.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I know everyone’s bitching about the high cost of that DMOS GI style shovel that goes for $200. But I’m sure someone has bought one and I sure would like to see some feedback. Please don’t tell me the price is crazy. We all know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Look at "Mean Mother shovel" several options to use in one package less than $100 comes with a storage bag..... keeps your rig clean and all pieces together..... I have used mine for several years now and am pleased with it, made very stout.

greg.potter

Adventurer
anyone substitute (or include) a hoe for deep moving (deep meaning far under the vehicle on horizontal plane)?

also, heavy as expected they would be, but my landscaper uses all steel tools which can be welded if needed or beat back into shape:

I carry a regular long handled construction grade spade that is cut down a bit so that it will fit in the AEV spare tire carrier/fuel caddy/shovel holder/high lift jack carrier/pull pal carrier on my Jeep. If I am going on mountain forest service roads where I might run into road blockages due to mudslides or rockslides I like to carry a mattock - it's the best tool short of an excavator that I have found for cutting a bench through a mud, rock or snow slide across a road (avalanche debris is very dense!). At a minimum I also carry a bow saw for the inevitable downed tree(s), and if I am planning on travelling a road which may not get much traffic I may bring my chainsaw, but that is pretty rare.

As for shovel quality, in my experience any good construction grade shovel will work. I typicall replace the rivets holding the shovel to the handle with bolts and washers as I find the rivets to be a common point of failure.

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Well there were those videos a dude posted of the DMOS shovel being all sloppy and loose at every joint when brand new - that's enough to make me not want it even at $10 . I have yet to see any proof that they're not all like that and his was some sort of anomaly.

I did see a review that stated the pins were loose but DMOS had fixed that. I’m waiting to see one at a show or in someone’s hands.

Right now I have no good place to mount a long handled shovel, which is my preference. So folders and collapsible styles appeal to me. I have a couple of GI entrenching tools and one USFS folder they call a combi (?). Basically it’s a GI folder with a long handle and a pick & shovel. It’s pretty decent for lots of uses except the shovel blade is too small (I know, dig faster!). I may look at cutting the shovel blade off and welding on a bigger one.

Fully agree on the mattock and carry one. Also saws and a very sharp axe.

Ace

CampStewart

Observer
When I was a kid I had a US military style folding shovel with about an 18 inch handle that had a folding pick on it also. It is long gone but I thought it was of pretty sturdy design and construction. The locking nut would come loose every so often but a quarter turn by hand and it was good to go for a while. I tried doing a google search to see if they are still available without success. If I was to find one I would be inclined to remove the wood handle and weld on a longer piece of steel tube or better yet weld on a sleeve and bolt a piece of aluminum on to it for the handle. Does this shovel/pick sound familiar to anyone and does anyone know who may still be selling them?

yacobus

Sure you're not talking about the german trench tool? That's the best wood handle pick/shovel I know of. They're getting pricey, used to be bins full of them 15 bucks a pop in great shape with good leather scabbards and minimal wear.. Now they go for $60 with dry leather or none at all

Attachments

• 61463803635__D92F319E-3AC6-47AF-8B84-36BC79151067.JPG
    61463803635__D92F319E-3AC6-47AF-8B84-36BC79151067.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 97

schaumi

What's the preferred shovel head shape for digging out of sand - rounded or flat? Heading to the beach next weekend and might get an over-sand vehicle permit to drive on Assateague. They require a shovel. I'm not going to buy anything, just grab something from my shed and strap it to the roof.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
It should be fairly flat. Minimal angle between blade and handle to help get under the rig JIC. Some carry a hoe to pull sand out from under.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Quite a bit of talk earlier in the thread about wood handles. I prefer older shovels, as said, they're usually better ergonomically. My local hardware store (mom and pop joint) still carries hickory replacement handles. I get all my handled tools from yard sales, pawn shops, and resale stores. I replace the handles as necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles