Lets talk shovels

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Check out the combi tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Until I looked at this link I wasn’t aware that I have a combi-tool. I actually had two at one time. I modified one with a small McCloud style head welded to the pick. I built it for trail work but it didn’t live up to my expectations. The other unmoded one I still have but I agree it’s not great for digging. I was taking a class one time and the instructor asked for a shovel. I grabbed my combi as it was close. Someone laughed at the small size of the shovel. I replied “just dig faster”.

I have tried many combination tools for trail work. I find they do not work as good as the regular shovel, or axe, or whatever tool they wanted to be.

For digging I prefer a quality full size shovel. The problem is finding a good way to carry one on your rig. I have found that fiberglass handles deteriorate if in the sun a lot. We tend to leave things mounted on our rigs even if just running errands in town. I’m guilty of that too but I like to just hit the dirt on the spur of the moment, so I like to be prepared if I get into trouble.

In this photo I removed about four wheelbarrow loads of sand getting me unstuck on a remote beach in Baja. Very glad to have my full size long handled shovel there. Maxtrax too.
ebd4cf33615fd2a8f23dfcc5f80a4a32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s.e.charles

anyone substitute (or include) a hoe for deep moving (deep meaning far under the vehicle on horizontal plane)?

also, heavy as expected they would be, but my landscaper uses all steel tools which can be welded if needed or beat back into shape:

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Until I looked at this link I wasn’t aware that I have a combi-tool. I actually had two at one time. I modified one with a small McCloud style head welded to the pick. I built it for trail work but it didn’t live up to my expectations. The other unmoded one I still have but I agree it’s not great for digging. I was taking a class one time and the instructor asked for a shovel. I grabbed my combi as it was close. Someone laughed at the small size of the shovel. I replied “just dig faster”.

I have tried many combination tools for trail work. I find they do not work as good as the regular shovel, or axe, or whatever tool they wanted to be.

For digging I prefer a quality full size shovel. The problem is finding a good way to carry one on your rig. I have found that fiberglass handles deteriorate if in the sun a lot. We tend to leave things mounted on our rigs even if just running errands in town. I’m guilty of that too but I like to just hit the dirt on the spur of the moment, so I like to be prepared if I get into trouble.

In this photo I removed about four wheelbarrow loads of sand getting me unstuck on a remote beach in Baja. Very glad to have my full size long handled shovel there. Maxtrax too.
ebd4cf33615fd2a8f23dfcc5f80a4a32.jpg

I agree they don’t work well as a shovel per se however they are a lot like what the guy had (and broke). We had tools call Rhinos we used for busting through bear clover, essentially cut the tip off the shovel heated the neck and bent it over. Sharpened the edge and was like a big hoe worked great. Combis came along and we could never figure out what the pick was for until we carried some hose rolls lol. Acted like a back stop lol. Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doc Foster

Adventurer
I just grab my fiberglass handle round point shovel from my shed, which I believe is 12 gauge metal, round point (probably $35 from Lowes or Home Depot), and strap in down in the bed of my truck. I also carry Max Trax boards. This combination has helped me out of a jam more than once. I always have to get something from the shed before a trip anyway (box of recovery gear, gas can, etc.). Why buy another shovel if I already have a good one in the shed. I went fiberglass as I broke too many wooden handle shovels over the years.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
anyone substitute (or include) a hoe for deep moving (deep meaning far under the vehicle on horizontal plane)?

also, heavy as expected they would be, but my landscaper uses all steel tools which can be welded if needed or beat back into shape:

Gemplers carries those shovels and a lot more.

VanWaLife

I really like my Radius Garden Spade. I use a couple of Quickfists and a small U lock to secure it to my truck rack. Also my preferred tool in the vegetable garden. I think it's a little longer than most short handled shovels, maybe because the blade is longer. The Radius Root Slayer is nice looking too.
Radius Garden Spade

rayra

Expedition Leader
If you are sticking a fiberglass shovel on the outside of your rig, just paint it.

/mine is inside my Sub mounted with QwikFists, the blade turned will it won't do any harm, tucked to the sidewall behind the 2nd row

Stabwell

Only for midgets or welldiggers, nothing is more miserable than a short handle shovel.
As far as recommend.
For general digging I like a ’oldschool forged nr. 2 roundpoint, meduim lift, medium-high neck, wooden handle 48-52”.
Very much like one would see in abundance at any building site. Especially of sites of 60+ years past. Like the say ”they dont make them like they used to”.
Nowdays, a quality shovel like that easily 75-100$ or more.
Before mass mechanisation of digging stuff, handtools were better ergonomic. There is alot of unsung geometry behind a simple ************** shovel.

This guy shovels (y)

Stabwell

I would like to see someone get that DMOS shovel and give it a good work out. I’m going to need a smaller shovel with no good way to mount a full size now with the RTT taking up most of my rack. I think I’d really like that shovel but the $200 price tag scares me away.

One of my friends was given the DMOS shovel. Takes a minute to put it together, and it looks like it would be much better for shoveling snow or sand than dirt or actual digging. Round point seems like a much better choice. Just my opinion.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
One of my friends was given the DMOS shovel. Takes a minute to put it together, and it looks like it would be much better for shoveling snow or sand than dirt or actual digging. Round point seems like a much better choice. Just my opinion.

I think you’re referring to the wrong one. That one does look like a snow shovel. The model i am referring looks like the big daddy of the WWII GI folder with an extendable handle.

Stabwell

I think you’re referring to the wrong one. That one does look like a snow shovel. The model i am referring looks like the big daddy of the WWII GI folder with an extendable handle.

Yeah, you're probably right. The one I've seen definitely looks like a snow shovel.

Oilbrnr

Find you one of these #2 True Tempers from circa 1973. While looking for one, you can help me come up with a handy lockable LCP Industries mount for mine Phil. ?

It actually got more use at Lake Powell digging anchor holes on shore and poop duty than it ever did getting the Suburban it was mounted in unstuck.

IMG_4804.jpgIMG_4806.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Find you one of these #2 True Tempers from circa 1973. While looking for one, you can help me come up with a handy lockable LCP Industries mount for mine Phil.

It actually got more use at Lake Powell digging anchor holes on shore and poop duty than it ever did getting the Suburban it was mounted in unstuck.

View attachment 586904View attachment 586905

I’ve got that exact same shovel I purchased about 1972 in Visalia, CA. True no break shovel.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I always carry two shovels. A long handled one and short handled. I made up this take apart shovel for my Porsche since I had limited space.

Attachments

• thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 91
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 92
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 86
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg