Let's talk frying pans

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Let’s talk about seasoning. I’ve yet to try it and have been using liberal amounts of oil in my cast pans.

How does everyone like to season their pans?

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
My previous method was clean pan thoroughly, either burning off previous seasoning in the grill or just using a scrubber and soap to remove oil, seasoning, factory wax. Then a thin coat of veg oil, put upside down in oven or grill until smoking and browned, repeat with 2nd thin coat of oil and heat up. Done.

You don't need to achieve dark brown or black to have nonstick cooking - this can come with long time use.

But there is also a group of people claiming salt really helps the process - test kitchen had a video where they heated oil, salt (like a cup of the stuff), and potato peels in a fry pan until smokin' hot, then just discard all that stuff and start using it. Ah - This Video on carbon steel pans

SBDuller

never tried potato peels, but i do use coarse salt and olive oil as a scrub on cast iron, primarily if food has stuck, and secondarily it leaves a nice surface for next time

Kerensky97

Xterra101
But there is also a group of people claiming salt really helps the process - test kitchen had a video where they heated oil, salt (like a cup of the stuff), and potato peels in a fry pan until smokin' hot, then just discard all that stuff and start using it. Ah - This Video on carbon steel pans
I think the salt and potato peels are more to help distribute the oil against the steel while it's "cooking" onto the surface. There's not really any chemical process that salt adds to the seasoning. Seasoning is polymerized fats and oils bonded to the surface; Na and Cl don't really enter in to it.

But the oil soaks into the salt and potato peels and because of the surface tension can be held against the corners and sides of the pan rather than just pooling in the middle. So it's definitely helpful if you're doing the stovetop method of seasoning. Obviously upside down in an oven or grill it's useless since the salt and potato peels will just fall out.

Mccaf

Adventurist
I season my Dutch ovens and skillets using the oven method. Burn-off, Oil, 350° Upside down in the oven for an hour, cool completely and repeat 3x total. Bullet proof. Lasts like, forever, unless I screw it up. Does stink up the house.
Will have to try the salt and potato method next time.

Recently the wife got me the Jetboil Basecamp system. It comes with the patented 5L pot and this slick 10” ceramic frying pan. Man, is that a killer egg and so-on pan. I have never cooked on anything so nice. Still though, nothing beats breakfast potatoes in a cast iron skillet! Decisions...

Joanne

Adventurer
In spite of its weight, I always cook with cast iron. It gives me options that I can't get with any other cookware. In this case I'm using a Lodge 12" skillet with a regular lid. It's a bit tricky to keep the coals in place since the sides of the lid slope down. A 12" Lodge camp oven lid fits pretty well and makes it easier to use with coals.

Shamrock_087.jpg

Shamrock_106.jpg

Joanne

dman93

Adventurer
Question on cast iron sizing ... is a 10" pan 10' diameter at the top, or at the bottom? Seems like with tapered sides there's a 2" difference so its hard to know what's what. Thanks.

chet6.7

Explorer
fc57kt072-01-main.jpg

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I have been using cast iron, carbon steel, aluminum (some non stick, some not) for years. this is my new go to camping frying pan, non stick, can use metal utensils:
I like it so much I might make it my house pan and get a smaller one for the camping rig.

motoboss

Bad Influence
I have, and use, Lodge 8" and 12" skillets along with a #10 Dutch oven and griddle.
The most frequently used skillet is a Caphalon 10" which after 15 years has deteriorated to near uselessness. Finally convinced the Wife it was time to toss it.

Soooo, just ordered a new 10" Lodge carbon steel skillet. I like it can be used with any source of heat so along with home use a-camping it will go.
Never had one, never cooked on one and kinda excited to get it and give it a go.

Thanks to this thread I was convinced to give it shot. Thank you all, I think!

Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
Seasoned carbon steel, cast iron, teflon, seasoned steel.......my wife just picked up two porcelain coated pans and damn they are slippery, darn near flipped the eggs out of the pan. Will see how well they hold up....
As for camp cooking, anything coated in bacon grease works
My first cast iron frypan was purchased when I moved into my first apartment 43 years ago. I have since purchased 5 more cast iron pans from 6 inches in diametre to full size. I nearly killed my brother in law when he "cleaned' my 30 year old pan and I had to reseason it. The pans are heavy, clean up with a bit of hot water and a stainless scrubbie (or often just a rag) and I love using them. I even backpacked with the smallest pan (I was only out for a week).

locofife

Question on cast iron sizing ... is a 10" pan 10' diameter at the top, or at the bottom? Seems like with tapered sides there's a 2" difference so its hard to know what's what. Thanks.
Cast iron sizing will be the diameter at the top of the pan. So, a 10" skillet really has an 8" cooking surface.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I gave up on frying pans and use a Blackstone griddle now for everything - breakfast lunch and dinner are all awesome on it. I do still take a dutch oven with me though. Was planning on one of the Partner Steel griddles but came across a great deal on the blackstone and haven't looked back. If weight was an issue, I would get the partner steel aluminum griddle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles