Let's talk colored area lights

TwinStick

Explorer
So, I have a bed slide in our truck and am looking at Baja Designs S2 mini lights. Going to mount 1 on a HD homemade double extension light mount in the bed & 1 on passenger side of bed caps roof rack/basket. We do a lot of camping but I do occasionally work from truck into the evening till job is done. But I have some questions.

How many lumens is too many for area lighting ?
Do colored lenses decrease useable lumens ?
What color would be best (red,blue, green, amber) all around so I don't upset my fellow campers, insect control, yet be able to work ?
Would it be better to get white & buy extra colored lenses ?

Thanks for the help. Trying not to buy the wrong thing here. Retired & money is tight.

TwinStick

Explorer
I don't know if this will be helpful to you but I've found almost without exception automotive area/task LED lighting is difficult to live with, either glare and shadows or just shadows. I've started using household (110V) LED light bulbs in a drop light housing, run off an inverter because the fashion sensibilities of the home lighting market lead to warm diffuse light and that ends up being a lot easier to work under. Pretty cheap too, just not all slick and integrated.

I have thought about this as well. Specifically, a couple of these

And use colored led bulbs. I have even considered using a telescoping PVC pole, to get it higher in hopes of eliminating the shadow issue. I have things to ponder, lol.

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer

rayra

Expedition Leader
Go red, if you don't want to anger any amateur astronomy fans near your campsight who might be trying to use their telescopes. White light wrecks your night vision for a good half hour.
I might suggest both white and red, or the red lenses if available.

LIftgatelights04.jpg

ZMagic97

Explorer
I use red LEDs inside my Jeep: easier on the eyes at night and doesn't ruin your night visions.

Mine could be brighter for better readings and such: I don't believe that's a color issue though.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I use red LEDs inside my Jeep: easier on the eyes at night and doesn't ruin your night visions.

Mine could be brighter for better readings and such: I don't believe that's a color issue though.

I think it is a color issue. I had red in the 4 for a while and could never read anything, but it did help with seeing things and not messing up the vision while driving. Did some research and found out that green is actually better for reading. Switched the red for green and sure enough I can now read things. Try the green, you may like them also.

https://bestlight.io/blogs/news/54956417-which-color-led-is-best-for-reading

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles