Let's talk camper shells and MPG

ywen

Explorer
I'm looking to get a camper shell for my Tacoma XtraCab. I'm torn between a cab-high shell or a high roof shell. I'm aware of the pros n' cons from a usability perspective. However, how does either option affect the truck's MPG? Is it significant?

Regarding the extra headroom.. it seems that unless I get one of those ridiculously high shells, the extra headroom compared to a cab-high design is marginal?

I don't want a shell that looks like this:
hi_3.jpg

rcintx

Adventurer
I put a cab-high shell on my truck and I lost about 1 mpg. I would think (no experience, just assumption) that the the higher the shell over the cab the poorer the gas mileage.

Just my .02.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm looking to get a camper shell for my Tacoma XtraCab. I'm torn between a cab-high shell or a high roof shell. I'm aware of the pros n' cons from a usability perspective. However, how does either option affect the truck's MPG? Is it significant?

Regarding the extra headroom.. it seems that unless I get one of those ridiculously high shells, the extra headroom compared to a cab-high design is marginal?

I don't want a shell that looks like this:
hi_3.jpg

Having had both a cab high and a high-rise on my Tacoma (04) here's what I can say:

First, any MPG difference will be negligible. I think the high rise might have cost me an additional MPG but that was probably more due to the fact that the high rise shell was heavier, not because it was taller.

Second, if you plan on sleeping in the back of the truck, even a small high rise will make a huge - huge - difference. Let me put it this way: I started with a cab-high shell. I went camping with it for one week. When I came home from my trip, the first thing I did was put the cab-high up for sale. It was like sleeping in a coffin. I couldn't hardly turn around or turn over while I was sleeping because my head kept hitting the roof.

First shell: Leer 100LE. Purchased used for $150 with a broken back door (all-glass rear door with a "slam latch.") Cost to replace the rear glass was $210 so my total cost was about $360:

Newtires02.jpg

Second shell: Unknown brand name but it appears very similar in configuration to the Raven (i.e. Glasstite) shell I had on my Ford Ranger. Purchased used for $300. Only money I had to put in it was to get new keys for the locks as the previous owner had lost the keys (cost was about $10.) Had the simpler, flat rear door with a metal frame and T-handle locks. Considerably more comfortable for camping:

2008_0626_194403AA.jpg

Here are some interior photos to give you an idea of the difference.

Cab high (with bed platform in "sleeping position"):

2008_0308_102619AA.jpg

High rise (with bed platform in "travel position"):

2009_0611_191124AA.jpg

You might not think that extra 7" or so makes a difference, but trust me, it does.

dustboy

Explorer
I don't think the few extra inches will make much difference in MPGs.

I had a hi-rise, and it was really the weight that affected my MPG. Then I added a sleeping platform and started carrying a bunch of stuff, and that really killed it.

I would say even if you take a 1-mpg hit from the hi-rise, it would be worth the extra usefulness of the shell. The real cost is probably less than a few dollars a month.

If you ever decide to build a sleeping platform, a cab-high has too little headroom. Also if you have to move furniture or anything else, it's really nice to not have to remove the shell.

ywen

Explorer
Martin: that's looks like a big difference... Hmm I guess I have to also see if the high top will fit in my garage.

I like your bed design.. so you can take out that middle section and drop the floor eh?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
After I installed my cab height shell, my gas milage improved by about 1 mpg on average. I haven't had a hightopper to compare with.

I think that a camper helps to fill the void behind the cab and can smooth out the airflow. You'd want to air up your tires a bit for the additional weight as underinflation can drop the mileage too.

Desert Dan

Explorer
a roof rack and or cross bars on top of your shell will reduce mileage but a streamlined shell should improve your mileage over an open pick -up bed

njtaco

Explorer
I got better mileage (1-2 more) with a cab high cap, and worse (1-2 less than no cap) with a higher than cab high cap. A rack added to the cab high had no effect on mileage until I put stuff on it.

I dont have much experience here but I just picked up my shell on monday and on the three hour drive home noticed a little bit better mileage, around 1mpg. Its a cab aluminum leer. I'm 6'2" and while it is a little low in the back its not that bad and with a well set up platform you can have a bench to sit on when you need to sit inside.

If you think about the average 1-2 mpg increase with a cab high and the average 1-2 mpg decrease with a hightop that could be 3-4 mpg difference. Might not seem like alot but that could mean a 35-70 miles per tank difference which adds up quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles