Let's talk back country capable daily driver options - used SUV market in 2012

What kind of Monteros are you guys talking about? The Sports? I don't really like those, they seem like the stripped down version of the real Monteros, not sure what the last year was for the real Monteros and what are the good years to buy, can someone provide a quick summary please :ylsmoke:

Their talking about the real Montero, not the sport. The last year for the US was 2006. I'm in the market for one myself.

this may go against the expo grain a little bit, but i like my tahoe. MPG is not the best, but if i keep it at 65 in the interstate i can get 15. thats with 285's and 3.73. the gov-bomb aint the best but works decent off-road. plenty of room for kids, gear, dog. chevy-cheap to work on. chevy-simple to work on. 11" to front diff from the ground, 13" to the frame under the door, 8" to the rear diff. 5.3 has decent power. i bought it 2 years ago this summer with 107k for $6600. i had to put a fuel pump init at about 135k. other than that it has been very reliable

i don't beat on it offroad, i drive it like its a half ton, ifs equipped suv that has to get me to work on monday and have had great service. hope this helps. after bragging about itfor this whole post, it willprobably never start again. good luck

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Dont worry, those v6 4x4 Monteros dont get much better mileage...

16-18mpg on the highway, on a good day.

Singbush

Observer
I drive an '02 Suburban. I bought it for $5500 with under 100k miles. Coil springs in the rear, ice cold a/c and the 5.3L are my favorite aspects. I lifted it slightly and put some 295's on 17" wheels. It's so smooth. It has tons of aftermarket support. The only requirement on your list it doesn't meet is the mpg's. I average about 12.5. YMMV.

nasko

Adventurer
IdaSho, is that a fact? Have you driven one? I would be interested in it only of to gets 18 or better MPG highway. This is the biggest reason why I got rid of the Xterra.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
All of my searching for realistic MPG ratings for the Montero has shown as such.

Sucks, I know. I really like the platform and was looking into them seriously, but cannot justify a mid sized SUV that gets similar highway MPGs than my diesel truck with a camper gets.

Ok, cool. (I feel the same way about my MIL's fjcruiser. Claustrophobic is a great adjective. I feel like original fj40's are actually roomier and brighter inside than FJC's in a lot of ways...haha)

So to reiterate what you want:

1. feels like car inside with day in/day out comfort
2. tough drivetrain
3. good mileage
4. no pickup bed.
5. realistically priced
6. real 4x4 capability

So, I still say these are my top choices:

3rd or 4th gen Montero
2001-2002 Trooper
First gen 1997-2002 or 2nd gen 2003-?? ford expedition

EDIT: I do have to say though, I know several people who own the honda pilot who absolutely love them. They're very reliable and very safe. If one of these with AWD, a good set of agressive tires, some custom skid plates, and maybe a few off-road farckle additions like a roof rack would serve your needs, I see it as being a very good choice...

Reliability, comfort, and adequate storage space, (having just been on some trips recently) are at the top of my list. I'd rather take a hit in the "perceived cabability" area and carry a winch and some bridging ladders, than sacrifice those three items.

If you can have all four, great, but Honda makes an excellent product.

Funny I did not know I was claustrophobic until I had an MRI earlier this year but I have no problem with my FJ. Love the truck and love the off-road capabilities. But everyone has different likes and dislikes.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Hmm, Tahoes/Suburbans, yep I have them on the list - and that's why I can't make up my friggn' mind about what I want. I was gaga over the FJ for a while, then the Xterra - mainly because of their ruggedness and not being too huge. Then I thought the Pilot might work for what I want to do as the Ridgeline did pretty decently. Then I thought hmm the Tahoe is not bad and plentiful here but if I go that big then there's the Sequoia which is based on the Tundra. But wait looks like the Suburbans are actually the same price or cheaper because most people want the Tahoes and now all this talk about the Monteros...you guys aren't helping :drool:

OK I'm going to throw in another requirement to my original list...even though I don't expect to wrench on the said SUV much but since I do all my own work I want it to be easy to work on in my two car garage- smallish is better. Years ago working on the Maxima and the 300ZX I didn't like how Nissan shoe-horned the motor in the body is Xterra the same deal? What about the others? In comparison I enjoy working on my 3 series BMW, yes it's a bit tight in there but everything is easily accessible by removing a few ducting/plastic bits etc. Do the Monteros fit this requirement? what about the others?

nasko

Adventurer
I did a bit of maintanence on my Xterra and it was OK, not great but OK. To change the spark plugs on the SC X it takes a bit of extensions and some soft joints etc... Not the easiest. CHanging the exhaust manifold was straight forward. Timing belt on the other hand was a *****, and I gave it to my mechanic, who took 6 hours or so. Apparently not an easy job, but it needs to be changed only every 160K km, not too bad I guess. If you do take the 1st Gen Xterra road I would recommend getting it NA and not SC, I am guessing a manual will be a bit better on gas as well (if manuals are your thing). Personally for me, I think I will stick to looking for a 2nd gen manual Xterra, unless a perfect auto comes along or a nice manual 3rd Gen 4Runner. Good luck with your search.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks Nasko. I'll be looking for an auto as it'll be a daily driver and my commute in traffic sucks, my bimmer is a 6spd and at times I wish I had an auto.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Trailblazer or Envoy.

All are 02 or newer. Fine for business, can get some quite nicely loaded. Perfect for family and can be had with 3rd row. 20 mpg is quite common until large tires are added, and nearly 300 hp from the I6 or they could be had with 5.3 v8. Both get similar mileage. Mine has been used and used hard and has only needed minor maintenence and when it does, they parts are super cheap. You can easily get a solid truck for under 10K Have recently seen some around 5K.

8 inches is stock ground clearance with 29ish tires. Has part time 4wd with 2.7:1 Transfer Case. Can be found with the G-80 Eaton auto locker. Also keep in mind that they have nice 4 wheel disc brakes. Many people forget that while you want to go, you also need to stop. Stock they will fit a 30.5 inch tire so you can bump up the ground clearance.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Really like your Trailblazer, nicely done! I did look at them breifly the only thing that put me off was the typical chevy interior design and quality, but then I sat in it right after sitting in the Honda Pilot.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Thanks. I like the more truck style interior of my TB, but that why I also said the Envoy. The Denali trim is really plush and far more upscale. The other buick, olds, saab varients lose the low range and are awd, so they are out but some of those interiors are quite nice and could be swapped in whole or pieces.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Discovery 2. I would recommend an 04 vehicle. Tough to find in the 8-10k range but it can be done. You can definitely find 02 and 03s in the range. Just make sure you do some research on which vin numbers to avoid. Adding CDL to trucks that were not equipped with it is a simple job. Gas mileage is in that ballpark as well.

-Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94