Let's Talk About Heating our Trailers.

Piet

Adventurer
Having camped with little kids, a heater makes the difference.
Number 1 item my kids want in a trailer is warm.

Current trailer/pop-up type heaters suck tons of battery power (on a single battery, I observe most die within 2 days). I don't like using a generator.

A tent heater takes the edge off but is not very warm and also requires ventilation.

I currently use a Coleman radient heater from a 1977 Bonair Tent Trailer.
No electrical, exterior venting, and can make the trailer cooking hot. I can get a couple weeks out of a 20 lb tank.

I am looking for this type of performance out of a trailer heater. (Without frying my leg when it touches the grill)

Ted_Z

Adventurer
After reading through this thread I decided that a catalytic type heater won’t work for our family's needs (coleman/mr heater type). The moisture or condensation, potential operating problems at higher altitudes and risk of CO poisoning all were reason enough for me to look for a forced air type tent heater.

The Zodi's looked nice but are out of production. The HS2000 offered by AT looked ideal, but it’s a bit pricey.

Being more of a DIY guy anyway I was able to source an RV furnace from my local wrecking yard for just $20 including the regulator and other bits. I pulled it from a conversion van. It is an older forced air type, with a pilot (not an electric ignition) Suburban NT12C. I plan on building a simple enclosure much like the tool box set up that AT puts their HS2000 in.

Can anyone direct me to a site that might have more information about this furnace? Maybe a pop-up group or something. So far I've got just the basic wiring diagram and spec's (12000 btu/h, 12v 2.8A motor).

Thanks!

Ted

camp'n_hunt

Observer
Anyone heard any updates on the Zodi?

I have called 3 times since they stopped making it. Companies wouldn't stop production of their whole line of heater. I've been in design/prototyping/ supply for awhile, smells fishy too me. I would put money on a law suit or something gone wrong. Isn't it curious that no other company has made anything like it?

With that said I would still pick one off ebay if I got a chance. I have the Big Buddy heater for my tent but getting the venting setup right is a pain, too much and you lose too much heat. Too little and the unit shuts off. My tent is double wall dome 12x12x7 so it takes a little too get it warm.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I'll chime in here on a personal experience that happened to me. I was driving my old 91 semi with no heater this las winter in wyoming in 20* below zero. This one particular night I left my Mr. heater running all night long with the truck all shut up because it was so cold. I thought because it wasnt that air tight I would be ok.... NOT..... about an hour before I normally wake up I started tossing and turning then I just got up. I had the most massive headache and felt sick to my stomach. I thought I was getting sick but then realized I actually had beginning stages of carbon monoxide poisinng. I got out of the truck to get some fresh air and it wasnt until about 4-5 hours later that I even started to feel better. Bottom line is dont think that just because the label say it wont happen that it wont. given the right circumstances it WILL happen. I continued to use it during the following days with the windows cracked open with now problems. Just a thought. Thomas

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have a forced air furnace in my truck camper, plus this past year bought a MR. Buddy. Main reason for me is that in -20 and -30C I wanted a back-up in case battery went down and the Mr. Buddy is great for that. I run CO2, smoke and propane detector (yes I am paranoid) and I have two windows slightly cracked open.
Would I sleep with it on? Yes.
Would I sleep better with just the furnace? Yes.
Have I used it to help speed up the heating in very cold weather? Yes.
Would I use it in a tent? To take the chills off not a problem.

Biggest drawback - moisture! Produces a lot of moisture when running, almost more than we can vent/live with in the REAL cold temps. Will I keep it? Yes a great back up.

I would love something that is better, have looked into the direct vent heaters that exhaust outside but do not have the space for this that is out of the way.

One big word of caution - you have a combustion source and you do need to vent it. Most tents & RV's have enough air movement so you will be okay but still be CAREFUL!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94