Lets talk about EGT on E350 7.3's

gtbensley

Explorer
I know, I know just google it and read the bazillion posting about EGTs on 7.3 that have been talked about.......I did. I know that we can sustain about 12,500 pretty comfortably and safely according to Ford, but anything much above that for time could do bad things.

Here is my situation which I can find little information about. 1995 E350 STOCK 7.3 pushing 9k lbs and running 4.10 gears. I do not have a pryometer installed and keep debating about installing one. Why? because I have no clue what a stock 7.3 van is running for EGT and am curious if its too high. I don not tow much and if I do its 3500lbs or so.

The E4OD really likes to hold OD until I drop under 40MPH which means I can lug it pretty good. I believe this can cause high EGTs? What are people running on stock vans, worth putting in a gauge? I would rather not if its not needed.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
It's rather easy to put one in and set up, not too harsh on the wallet either.
I'm running a 80hp tune and the temps are significantly higher than stock. I travel all sorts of roads up/down... etc.
I've hit the 12 mark a few times but only because I was pushing harder than I needed to.
Play it safe with more guages... more info= better.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Knowing just how high a bone stock 7.3 PSD can get the EGTs, Ill always suggest installing one.

Until you do, you simply have no idea what its doing.
The fact is, that even stock the EGTs will be all over the map.
From 600-800 cruising highway speeds on flat roads, to 12k+ pulling a good grade.

Any lugging under load, yes, will cause increasingly high EGTs
In general, the best way to lower EGTs is to back off the go pedal, and downshift.
Pulling the same load at a higher RPM will reduce EGTs

Keep the RPMs up, the 7.3 likes to rev. Rev it to 3k if needed, it doesn't care.
And keep the OD off under heavy load situations, your E40D will thank you.

gtbensley

Explorer
Consensus seems to say add one. Was hopping to avoid that as I have many project going currently but I guess I will. Yikes, I never let mine wined out like that. It maybe sees 2200 tops when shifting and 2600 ever.

Are EGT an issue on stock vehicles? Monitoring them only lets me change my driving habits. I imagine most people in stock form are oblivious to it and pay no attention, just as I have.

OD off, how come? I understand the hunting causes heat but does it have another weakness? I monitor my tranny temp and have no issues with it. Engine really wants to scream with the OD off on the highway so I dont do that.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If pulling a big hill loaded I try to stay around 1200. Will see some peaks at 14-1600 when driving aggressive but I always back off and get it to downshift if I can.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I know this has very little if anything to do with this conversation, but my 6.9 IDI N/A diesel with a turned up pump (mechanical) cruises at between 400-500F and "pegs" at 900F WFO uphill for a long distance. This is fully loaded at ~10,500lbs. Traveling light I cruise at 300F and never see over 600F. My transmission temps get out of hand far before the pyrometer starts creeping into badland...

I'm not at all surprised that a turbo 7.3 (especially a chipped one) can bury the pyro needle.

SG

djbonsu

Adventurer
Running a stock tune on stock wheels, I could cruise the hwy at 60-70mph with egts at about 500-600 deg F. With a dp tuner set to 80econ or 80 tow on stock tires, I can cruise about 600 deg F at the same said speed. Add 35s to the mix at the same scenario, egts bump up to 700-800 at hwy cruise speeds. All on flat land of course. Pulling up a grade, it can hit 1000-1100 deg F.

If passing someone or driving aggressive, i can hit 1150-1250 then I back off. And yes, as others have said, lugging the engine at hwy speeds can also increase your egts as well. Definitely get one on there asap! I have mine in the drivers side manifold right before the up-pipes. Pre-turbo probe install is what you want IMO.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Assuming you stick to a name brand, they are all about the same.

Just comes down to backlight and face selection, which is a personal preference.

Also, as djbonsu mentioned, your best bet is a pre-turbo install for the sensor.

So make sure you can get decent access to one of the manifolds to perform the install.

Install requires drilling a small hole in the manifold, inserting the sensor, and clamping it down.

gtbensley

Explorer
Assuming you stick to a name brand, they are all about the same.

Just comes down to backlight and face selection, which is a personal preference.

Also, as djbonsu mentioned, your best bet is a pre-turbo install for the sensor.

So make sure you can get decent access to one of the manifolds to perform the install.

Install requires drilling a small hole in the manifold, inserting the sensor, and clamping it down.

I need to pull the dog box and replace the gaskets on the oil galley plugs and the leak some. I will do the EGT sensor at the same time and probably put it in the up pipe Y bit right before the turbo just as Bbasso did.

Manchild12

Knowing just how high a bone stock 7.3 PSD can get the EGTs, Ill always suggest installing one.

Until you do, you simply have no idea what its doing.
The fact is, that even stock the EGTs will be all over the map.
From 600-800 cruising highway speeds on flat roads, to 12k+ pulling a good grade.

Any lugging under load, yes, will cause increasingly high EGTs
In general, the best way to lower EGTs is to back off the go pedal, and downshift.
Pulling the same load at a higher RPM will reduce EGTs

Keep the RPMs up, the 7.3 likes to rev. Rev it to 3k if needed, it doesn't care.
And keep the OD off under heavy load situations, your E40D will thank you.

Hold on, as I read this y’all are saying that your EGT gets up to 12,000 degrees when pulling hills? “K” equals 1,000 so when you say “12K” you’re saying 12,000. That can’t be right, do you mean 1200? I don’t know anything and just seeking clarity here.

Fork-N-Road

They were definitely talking about 1200 degree EGTS's, not 12k! 1200 is still pretty high for any length of time.

Below is a copy/paste of temp values I have a read from others with the 6.0 diesel

Engine Oil Temp:
EOT normally around 206, I have seen it as high as 220 on a big climb
My EOT is in the 215-230 range and the ECT hangs in there somewhat below

Coolant Temp:
Usually stays around 191-195. It will go down to 183 or so when the fan kicks on and has climbed as high as 218 on a big hill. Normally it will be at 10 to 15 degrees lower than the oil temp (this might be too big a Delta??)
Different variables control fan operation but typically it comes on at 223F.

EGTs:
Fluctuate depending on how hard the engine is working, but norms for me cruising at 65 to 70 are between 700 and 800. They will go down to around 500 to 600 if the terrain is easy and 900 to 1000 if pulling a big hill. I try not to keep it at 1000 for any length of time
I'll do 1000F EGTs all day long.
I have a Stage 1.5 KCturbo, an 80HP PCM tune, a 40HP FICM tune, deleted the EGR, and killed the kitty for a more free flowing exhaust. Cruising EGTs are 800-900F, 1000-1100F on mild acceleration and 1200-1300F WOT. I back off when ever I hit 1200F but have gone as high as 1500F.

Trans Temp - FOA Trans Temp Visible?
Transmission Temp: Normally it rides between 170-179. If it is cold outside it will run 150-160 and if hot outside it will run 180-185 or so. It will also increase on a hill climb but I have never seen it much over 185.
Transmission temps were high, especially offroad (230F with a peak of 275F going over Imogene Pass) until I installed a bigger tranny cooler.
And even 240F TFT for short periods is ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz