Let's Talk About DIY Trailer Builds - Axle-Less Trailer Suspension

Smoothy

Let‘s get this thread back on track! I’ve got a AT Overland Chaser with Timbren 4” lift axles , they work great! Trailer was built as the base for a trailer called the Bushranger SE.
my question to Timbren or any others with actual experience, is there a way to increase the track width to match my JK? can you put in a quality wheel spacer or better yet an adapter to run JK bolt pattern?

Attachments

• 74FCBD33-4AF6-4ECF-933F-46812E871683.jpeg
    74FCBD33-4AF6-4ECF-933F-46812E871683.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 34

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Good question, @Smoothy. We have Jeep bolt pattern hubs and brakes available for our 3500 lb Axle-Less suspension and smaller suspensions. However, if you're running our 3500HD suspension or bigger we don't currently have anything because that suspension uses an oversized spindle for strength and unfortunately, we don't recommend wheel spacers or adapters either.

We have had a lot of requests from the Jeep community for this feature and our engineering team has been working towards a solution but we don't have anything to announce just yet.

Smoothy

Good question, @Smoothy. We have Jeep bolt pattern hubs and brakes available for our 3500 lb Axle-Less suspension and smaller suspensions. However, if you're running our 3500HD suspension or bigger we don't currently have anything because that suspension uses an oversized spindle for strength and unfortunately, we don't recommend wheel spacers or adapters either.

We have had a lot of requests from the Jeep community for this feature and our engineering team has been working towards a solution but we don't have anything to announce just yet.
Ok Thanks for the quick reply, maybe a wheel with the widest offset would work.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
@Smoothy, a wheel with a wide offset would definitely work. If you want to chat through the nitty gritty we can always get you in touch with one of our suspension techs to dial in what you need. Just shoot us a DM and we'll set it up for you.

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
Smoothy,

1. I suspect you want the track width of your trailer to match your JK so that the trailer more easily follows your JK wheel ruts. That does make it easier to tow off road however, the trailer still does not track around corners only in a perfectly straight track. In the real world being a bit off in track width is not a problem.

2. I suspect that you want the trailer to have the same bolt pattern as your JK so you can use the spare from the JK on the trailer. This is a very good idea and so I ordered the correct hubs when I built my trailer. But, (curses! :mad:) the backspacing on the Jeep stock rims would not allow the Jeep wheels to be used on the trailer. BE SURE TO CHECK THIS BEFORE SPENDING MORE MONEY. My remedy was to buy 2.5" offsets that bolt to my hubs on the trailer to allow the Jeep spare to be used. I am ok with this because it is a "temporary" fix to allow me to get to a tire store. I just need to be sure to bring the offset with me when I use the trailer.

3. Now I have a good fix for a flat tire on the trailer when towed by my Jeep TJ :). HOWEVER, I purchased a new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and the wheel bolt pattern is not the same as the Jeep TJ and the trailer. So, the moral to the story might be to just have a spare tire for the trailer no matter what bolt pattern it has. :cry:

Good Luck,

Vince

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior