Let's Talk About DIY Trailer Builds - Axle-Less Trailer Suspension

billiebob

I am sorry you didn't find the info you were looking for. Our engineers are always willing and able to answer any questions you may have. As mentioned above eTrailer is also a great resource and partner of ours. It's great to see this thread taking off and so many interested in our axle-less suspension.
I'm interested in the Timbren Silent Ride to convert my leaf spring suspension but on line I can find nothing about it.
I'm in BC Canada so Alberta or BC would be where I'd buy but how do I find a trailer suspension dealer, your website lists every Canadian Tire but they know nothing about the Silent Ride, they just sell what they stock.

Many thx Bill

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
I'm interested in the Timbren Silent Ride to convert my leaf spring suspension but on line I can find nothing about it.
I'm in BC Canada so Alberta or BC would be where I'd buy but how do I find a trailer suspension dealer, your website lists every Canadian Tire but they know nothing about the Silent Ride, they just sell what they stock.

Many thx Bill
Give us a call at 1-800-263-3113 and we will be happy to help you!

high-and-dry

I am sorry you didn't find the info you were looking for. Our engineers are always willing and able to answer any questions you may have. As mentioned above eTrailer is also a great resource and partner of ours. It's great to see this thread taking off and so many interested in our axle-less suspension.
E trailer is the first one that told me they cant help me, they said they would just order the part numbers I told them to. Thats when I tried to message you here and called timbren direct,

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
E trailer is the first one that told me they cant help me, they said they would just order the part numbers I told them to. Thats when I tried to message you here and called timbren direct,

Again, so sorry that you weren't able to get the information you needed. Please let us know if there's any questions you have moving forward and we'll do our absolute best to answer them and get you the right stuff.

Barbarosa

Again, so sorry that you weren't able to get the information you needed. Please let us know if there's any questions you have moving forward and we'll do our absolute best to answer them and get you the right stuff.
I get it. You are the sales marcom person. However, what is the reason there isn’t just some engineering specification guides. Build spec stuff. Your engineers would have some 101 starter documentation for new hire engineers. Show us.

I found this for example on classic axle suspension engineering .... show me what the axle-less tribe has for similar. thank you.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
@Barbarosa, Great question and even better idea. We'll see what we can start putting together as far as .pdf documentation on this to give you and others a better idea. Thanks for sharing that with us!

billiebob

@Barbarosa, Great question and even better idea. We'll see what we can start putting together as far as .pdf documentation on this to give you and others a better idea. Thanks for sharing that with us!
yep,
as barbarosa suggests,
this is a fabricators website, you are not selling a commercial manufacturer, so you need to include trailer design or sources to use your products successfully and safely, most of us don't have a clue

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Actively helping DIYers, or even acknowledging that they sell into this niche market

could create huge torts liabilities.

If their lawyers had their way, they would only sell to professional fabricators that issue VINs and legal certificates, and most importantly

carry their own E&O insurance policies.

billiebob

Actively helping DIYers, or even acknowledging that they sell into this niche market

If their lawyers had their way, they would only sell to professional fabricators that issue VINs and legal certificates, and most importantly

yep, that said I never would have heard about the Silent Ride without this thread
and pretty sure I will install one this summer
so torts, liability, E&O aside
thx for the "info" Timbren

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
I used Flexride Adjustable Torsion Half Axles when I built my off-road trailer. I used 1200 lb. axles. My trailer weighs @750 lbs fully loaded so it rides very nicely. They are a bit stiff in bumps so air down when you go off road.
A lesson learned the hard way about using torsion axles: Regular trailer axles with springs travel in an up and down motion. Spring shackles hold them in place. A torsion axle travels both up and down and it twists in an arc when depressed. You must take this twisting force in to account when you design the mounting brackets or you may suffer the same fate as I did.

Trailer loaded and ready for a 2 week trip:
Built picture 6.JPG

Second day of the trip after 20 miles of desert washboard. In the middle of nowhere of course.
Disaster (2).jpg

Needless to say it was a bad 3 days getting the trailer home and re-engineering the the attaching points for the torsion axles.

Since then, Rev B of the axle design has worked great. We have traveled in Canada (before COVID), Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California problem free. Those travels include ROF trips and backcountry trails.

Good luck on your builds,

Vince

high-and-dry

A torsion axle travels both up and down and it twists in an arc when depressed. You must take this twisting force in to account when you design the mounting brackets or you may suffer the same fate as I did.

Vince

Thats why the one frame I did using stub axles I did the mount like this. The plate is fully welded to the frame rail, and the cross member, plus extra braces to the cross member. The the axle plate is welded to the frame plate.

XafnSyO.jpg

Alloy

Thats why the one frame I did using stub axles I did the mount like this. The plate is fully welded to the frame rail, and the cross member, plus extra braces to the cross member. The the axle plate is welded to the frame plate.

XafnSyO.jpg
Adding the crossmembers & braces (gussets) was a great idea!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles