Lets talk about camp lights

robert

Expedition Leader
Good god...

Look pal, just because I use Dietz lanterns around camp doesn't mean I'm a bloody Luddite. In fact, I'm a retired network engineer who's forgotten more about computers than most "IT guys" will ever know.

And I do have LED lights and flashlights. Hell, I've even posted a review here on ExPo:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/review-solar-usb-charger-with-battery-pack.165244/

But let's face it, tech has no soul. No ambiance. No style. No frickin' class. Hurricane lamps are classy.

Which, you don't seem to understand. Take that any way you want.

And as a master of computer tech, I have long told people that, "Just because you CAN do something with computers, that doesn't mean you SHOULD do it."

Case in point..."social networking":

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/30/facebook_apple_enterprise_certificate_revocation/

The same maxim applies to any tech. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Fascination with bright and shiny is for chimps and raccoons.

Capture.JPG

I swear this forum gets more and more sanctimonious with each passing month. I've got LED lights* and I like them for what they are, especially LED headlamps, but I also own Coleman and Dietz lanterns and like to use them as well. They definitely have more ambience and soul to them. There's nothing inherently wrong with newer technology and flipping a switch or pushing a button is certainly easier but there's also something cathartic, as well as nostalgic, about fueling up your Coleman appliances, pumping them up, the sputtering then hiss of warm light or a smoky yellow flame that settles into a nice blue cooking flame that an LED light or piezo ignition Jetboil will never have. I have LED lights and a Jetboil and they get used more frequently than my older stuff just out of convenience, but that doesn’t mean the older gear isn't worthwhile.

If I have to get up in the middle of the night I want my powerful LED flashlight handy, for quick trips I like my little Black Diamond LED lantern and Jetboil, but often I'm trying to slow down and enjoy life, maybe capture a moment from my childhood. It seems like so many car campers, and lets face it, that's what most folks who call themselves "overlanders" or label their trips as "expeditions" ostentatiously are, seem to fret and criticize others about the goofiest stuff. People will never agree on what limits there should be on technology, especially in the back-country , but as long as folks are generally considerate I try not to worry about what anyone else is doing. I try to avoid large campgrounds for all the common reasons, but I also accept that when I'm in one there will be the folks I don't understand- like the picture posted of the large RV with a TV on the side of it. Why spend all that money to have essentially a lumbering apartment on wheels with all of the associated costs when you could just build an outdoor living area at home and add a TV if you wanted to sit by a propane fire and watch TV? Heck, I've seen RVs with electric fireplaces in them. Nope, I don't understand the RV lifestyle but some folks love it. Whatever, it's their life, not mine. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to get outside. All of this kind of reminds me of the arguments folks like the Sierra Club, REI and others put forth against all of us who haven't attained their level of enlightenment regarding minimalist foot travel only (which I think most of us also enjoy).

*Thanks to the poster who posted up the Onite dimmable USB light, I ordered one and have been messing with it for a couple of days now. It seems like it will work well for those quick trips when I'm not interested in breaking out the older tech, for hanging over the cooking/prep area (especially when cooking on the tailgate), when the power goes out at the house, etc.

Last edited:

another_mike

Adventurer
I feel like camp lights really fall into at least two main categories. Lights for simply general living, and lights for working (ie cooking, setup, maybe vehicle repairs).

I really like some of these high powered lanterns like britelyt im seeing. They seem to be great for cooking and setting up camp. Although im not sure I can justify buying one. Its not because of cost, but rather size and noise. They seem to be about as loud as my MSR backpacking stove. Space is an issue for me, Im already carrying extra white gas fuel for my coleman stove, ill sometimes need extra fuel for my motorcycle, and then the size of the lantern... I cant help but think any LED option will be just as bright and significantly smaller. Of course this is me.

I do like the idea of the Deitz for ambiance, but I dont know if people are getting knockoffs or they really have moved production to China, but recent reviews show theyre now made like crap and leak.

robert

Expedition Leader
I feel like camp lights really fall into at least two main categories. Lights for simply general living, and lights for working (ie cooking, setup, maybe vehicle repairs).

I really like some of these high powered lanterns like britelyt im seeing. They seem to be great for cooking and setting up camp. Although im not sure I can justify buying one. Its not because of cost, but rather size and noise. They seem to be about as loud as my MSR backpacking stove. Space is an issue for me, Im already carrying extra white gas fuel for my coleman stove, ill sometimes need extra fuel for my motorcycle, and then the size of the lantern... I cant help but think any LED option will be just as bright and significantly smaller. Of course this is me.

I do like the idea of the Deitz for ambiance, but I dont know if people are getting knockoffs or they really have moved production to China, but recent reviews show theyre now made like crap and leak.

The space issue is a really good example of where newer tech really shines (pun intended). Back in my first job out of college days (early 90s) when I was broke but still trying to go climbing, mountain biking and camping most every weekend I had a '75 FJ-40 and a '74 VW Beetle. The Beetle got better gas mileage and so I drove it most of the time and it more or less stayed packed with my gear and clothes. I used (and still have) a Coleman Peak 1 stove and Peak 1 lantern but a smaller efficient LED lantern would have been welcome, they just didn't exist back then.

rnArmy

Adventurer
View attachment 499422

I swear this forum gets more and more sanctimonious with each passing month. I've got LED lights* and I like them for what they are, especially LED headlamps, but I also own Coleman and Dietz lanterns and like to use them as well. They definitely have more ambience and soul to them. There's nothing inherently wrong with newer technology and flipping a switch or pushing a button is certainly easier but there's also something cathartic, as well as nostalgic, about fueling up your Coleman appliances, pumping them up, the sputtering then hiss of warm light or a smoky yellow flame that settles into a nice blue cooking flame that an LED light or piezo ignition Jetboil will never have. I have LED lights and a Jetboil and they get used more frequently than my older stuff just out of convenience, but that doesn’t mean the older gear isn't worthwhile.

If I have to get up in the middle of the night I want my powerful LED flashlight handy, for quick trips I like my little Black Diamond LED lantern and Jetboil, but often I'm trying to slow down and enjoy life, maybe capture a moment from my childhood. It seems like so many car campers, and lets face it, that's what most folks who call themselves "overlanders" or label their trips as "expeditions" ostentatiously are, seem to fret and criticize others about the goofiest stuff. People will never agree on what limits there should be on technology, especially in the back-country , but as long as folks are generally considerate I try not to worry about what anyone else is doing. I try to avoid large campgrounds for all the common reasons, but I also accept that when I'm in one there will be the folks I don't understand- like the picture posted of the large RV with a TV on the side of it. Why spend all that money to have essentially a lumbering apartment on wheels with all of the associated costs when you could just build an outdoor living area at home and add a TV if you wanted to sit by a propane fire and watch TV? Heck, I've seen RVs with electric fireplaces in them. Nope, I don't understand the RV lifestyle but some folks love it. Whatever, it's their life, not mine. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to get outside. All of this kind of reminds me of the arguments folks like the Sierra Club, REI and others put forth against all of us who haven't attained their level of enlightenment regarding minimalist foot travel only (which I think most of us also enjoy).

*Thanks to the poster who posted up the Onite dimmable USB light, I ordered one and have been messing with it for a couple of days now. It seems like it will work well for those quick trips when I'm not interested in breaking out the older tech, for hanging over the cooking/prep area (especially when cooking on the tailgate), when the power goes out at the house, etc.
My take-home message from this post: " but as long as folks are generally considerate...".

Otherwise I really don't care what folks do. Or drive, or gear they use. As long as they're having fun and enjoying the great outdoors. And being considerate of others in their surroundings.

CSG

Explorer
While reading the news this struck my eye; might kind of fit here...
"Light pollution is affecting 'more than half' of key wildlife areas causing disruption to plants and animals' natural cycles"
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...areas-entirely-artificially-bright-skies.html
Obviously, every bright light in the wilderness will make the problem worse.

Enjoy!
Yeah, I don't get all these people who need to light up the night sky while camping. You need light to cook? Use a headlamp. You need to set up camp in the dark? Use a headlamp. If you can make a fire, make due with that light. Otherwise, be part of the night. Isn't that why we go into the wild? I love Casey's (Coyote Works) videos but I hate that damn light he uses. Then again, as an amateur astronomer part of the night for me is the stars and looking into the beyond.

another_mike

Adventurer
Yeah, I don't get all these people who need to light up the night sky while camping. You need light to cook? Use a headlamp. You need to set up camp in the dark? Use a headlamp. If you can make a fire, make due with that light. Otherwise, be part of the night. Isn't that why we go into the wild? I love Casey's (Coyote Works) videos but I hate that damn light he uses. Then again, as an amateur astronomer part of the night for me is the stars and looking into the beyond.
Might as well restrict driving anywhere at night too, since no camp light is going to be as bright as the headlights and off-road lights of a typical expo vehicle.

There is nothing wrong with using a brighter light for a specific task in camp for a limited time.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
We bought one of these cheap solar/battery lamps from Home Depot. Worked great for about a year. Nice for when I climb down to let the dog out at night. I will probably find another one. And shut it off when the truck sits in the yard!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43

CSG

Explorer
Might as well restrict driving anywhere at night too, since no camp light is going to be as bright as the headlights and off-road lights of a typical expo vehicle.

There is nothing wrong with using a brighter light for a specific task in camp for a limited time.

Not at all comparable to the point of guys who light up their camps all night long like the local mall, especially the comment about driving at night. That's a real reach. The bolded (mine) "for a limited time" is the right way to think of this if you really don't know how to set up camp with a headlamp or maybe have little kids with you.

another_mike

Adventurer
Not at all comparable to the point of guys who light up their camps all night long like the local mall, especially the comment about driving at night. That's a real reach. The bolded (mine) "for a limited time" is the right way to think of this if you really don't know how to set up camp with a headlamp or maybe have little kids with you.
And it was a real reach to assume anyone here is lighting their entire camp site the entire time with bright lights. It hasn’t been mentioned or inferred once in this entire thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online