Lets talk about camp lights

Wilbah

Adventurer
I like to have light when I need it. And a Coleman on bright helps with late arrival camp setup and cooking, then turned way down provides a nice soft glow to easily find things w/o being obnoxious (at least imo).

I also have a headlamp but wear it strap extended around my neck so if someone asks a question I dont blind them when I turn to answer them.

I've also found those cheap solar garden lights make a reasonable night light when needed and they're cheap- end of season I can find them for $1 or so. I have a bunch at home too for power outages etc.

concretejungle

Adventurer
In my experience, the Coleman gas lanterns are cool and provide a lot of light. However, keeping them fueled up, keeping from breaking the glass, melting something that accidentally rubs the hot glass, or arriving at camp to find that the mantle has disintegrated while in transit became just too much for me. Then add the size of them with the carry case.

I have tried several solar charging lights with pretty good success. I am currently using the biolite which I'm really enjoying. I just put them up on the dash while I'm driving and they charge, so when I arrive in camp they are ready to go. The light output is pretty darn good. And then for the fun nights the different light colors are pretty cool.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I like my gas lanterns. I will continue to use them. Nothing works better for setting up camp after dark or for cooking.

If my lantern offends anyone they can deal with it.

And this is why I don't like camping in areas where folks are close by. Some folks have the attitude "Screw you - I'm doing what I want and you'll have to deal with it" instead of being considerate of others. I understand needing light to set-up camp and cook (I have a propane Coleman lantern), but then they keep it on full blast all night.

Some people have the same attitude ("If my [fill in the blank] offends anyone they can deal with it") when it comes to making noise after quiet hour, blasting music, etc.. Or running gas generators all night. They think because they paid $15 for a camp site, it gives them liberty to be obnoxious and they almost want to challenge you if you ask them to tone it down. Or they think what they're doing is OK because nobody as asking them to tone it down.

Obviously I'm having flashbacks to camping experiences made bad by one ************ in the campground who thought rules (or common decency) didn't apply to them. And drunks are the worse.

Boatbuilder79

And this is why I don't like camping in areas where folks are close by. Some folks have the attitude "Screw you - I'm doing what I want and you'll have to deal with it" instead of being considerate of others. I understand needing light to set-up camp and cook (I have a propane Coleman lantern), but then they keep it on full blast all night.

Some people have the same attitude ("If my [fill in the blank] offends anyone they can deal with it") when it comes to making noise after quiet hour, blasting music, etc.. Or running gas generators all night. They think because they paid $15 for a camp site, it gives them liberty to be obnoxious and they almost want to challenge you if you ask them to tone it down. Or they think what they're doing is OK because nobody as asking them to tone it down.

Obviously I'm having flashbacks to camping experiences made bad by one ************ in the campground who thought rules (or common decency) didn't apply to them. And drunks are the worse.

You have a point about the generators and loud music but If your gonna stay in a campground you gotta let some stuff go.

Having a few beers will help....

rnArmy

Adventurer
You have a point about the generators and loud music but If your gonna stay in a campground you gotta let some stuff go.

Having a few beers will help....

Actually, it is almost the opposite. There are no walls separating your campsite from others. If anything, you need to really rein-it-in unless it is absolutely necessary, and then keep the noise and time doing it (whatever "it" is) to a minimum. It is just being courteous to others.

I get that little kids can be noisy, and pulling into a campground after dark and trying to set up camp can be filled with bright lights and a little noise, but that should only be temporary.

Boatbuilder79

Folks go camping to relax. Raising hell and disregarding all rules is one thing but Even if I can hear them bubbas or bro-dudes sitting around a fire drinking beer make better camping Neighabor’s than some uptight guy complaining about everything.

dcg141

Adventurer
I had no idea Coleman lanterns were so offensive. Its even stranger since most campgrounds have a lantern pole in every campsite. It lights an area that is what..20 foot at best. Its not exactly a flood light being pointed at another campsite.

MOguy

Explorer

I agree with you about the noise and quiet hours, and you can even include light (to an extent) in the quiet hours but up until that time, you have to deal with it. Campgrounds are a great places to meet up with family and friends. When we camp in campgrounds we often have visitors as do many others. Not everybody goes camping to the get back to nature experience.

If I want that piece and quiet and the get back to nature experence when I camp I stay away from campgrounds. When I go to campgrounds I know to expect all the crazy neighbor crap. I don't appreciate it but I realize I have to accept it.

ottsville

Observer
If I want that piece and quiet and the get back to nature experence when I camp I stay away from campgrounds. When I go to campgrounds I know to expect all the crazy neighbor crap. I don't appreciate it but I realize I have to accept it.

images

I agree with you about the noise and quiet hours, and you can even include light (to an extent) in the quiet hours but up until that time, you have to deal with it. Campgrounds are a great places to meet up with family and friends. When we camp in campgrounds we often have visitors as do many others. Not everybody goes camping to the get back to nature experience.

This guy gets it!

Typically I want to camp alone. When we have gatherings it is usually in a campground and there is always an after dinner gathering around the campfire. It is not always quiet, but we do invite others camping around us. We want to make them feel as welcome as our long time friends. We always try to be respectful of those around us and we all usually wander off to our campsites by 11PM. We do get visits from the the campground custodians or park rangers as some of the campgrounds are alcohol free. These visits are just checks to see if we are behaving and not from complaints. We have witnessed other campers behaving badly and getting citations for it, but I can say no one in our group has ever been cited or shot at someone's lantern.

rnArmy

Adventurer
When I was at the NW Overland Rally this past summer, we were packed in like sardines camping. There were no issues - people were respectful. Maybe Overlanders are a more professional type of camper. But I shouldn't have to expect "crazy neighbor crap" when I go to a campground. I'm not talking the Yogi Bear KOA campgrounds (I don't even go there); I'm talking the ones in the middle of nowhere Canada that are very primitive. Why do people think they can act as **************** when they're away from home, and everyone just has to accept their crap? Sorry to derail this thread. I'll stop now. Back to lights!

I've got this one. It glows in the dark. Perfect for trying to find it in the tent at night.

1548879770736.png

MOguy

Explorer
When I was at the NW Overland Rally this past summer, we were packed in like sardines camping. There were no issues - people were respectful. Maybe Overlanders are a more professional type of camper. But I shouldn't have to expect "crazy neighbor crap" when I go to a campground. I'm not talking the Yogi Bear KOA campgrounds (I don't even go there); I'm talking the ones in the middle of nowhere Canada that are very primitive. Why do people think they can act as **************** when they're away from home, and everyone just has to accept their crap? Sorry to derail this thread. I'll stop now. Back to lights!

I've got this one. It glows in the dark. Perfect for trying to find it in the tent at night.

View attachment 496904
I guess it depends on what you call crazy neighbor crap, I am not talking about being disrespectful I am talking about this. Out my the state campgrounds are getting like this and even the federal ones are packed.

This is our Newest State Park, Echo Bluff, the other 2 pics are just random off the internet to illustrate what I am talking about:

echobluff.jpg

lightsb.jpg

lightsa.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles