Lets talk about camp lights

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I prefer a campsite lighted only by a campfire ... to avoid stumbles I use a single LED single AAA Dorcy pocket flash (no longer made).
to mark the tent location (helps when trying to find it after everyone else crashes, post O-dark-thirty; I use a pair of pretty dim, solar led garden lights in front of the tent or attached to the canopy legs).
However, I normally use a 450 lumen led bulb for in tent lighting (works well for reading or cards/backgammon etc. when forced inside due to snow, sleet, hail Noah's flood etc.).
All my batteries are rechargeable and normally last at least a week of use.

I don't care for head lamps (tried several); because I normally wear a wide brimmed hat in the field.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

brianb2

Similar, low light solar rechargables. I hate it when someone fires up a Coleman lantern or turns on some bright led setup. I’ve got some strong flashlights and headlamps in the rig for handling situations in the dark, but they get used when things go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunsandgearnetwork

looks like i'm in the majority so far

WE TOLD HIM TO KNOT TO bring a Coleman lantern

a new PROBY member of our canoeing group brought a double mantle Coleman lantern so he could watch the camp fire

WE TOLD HIM TO KNOT TO...

as soon as he got it filled pumped up lit and set it down so he could see the camp fire one of the senior members of the group casually walked over and picked it up

once in hand it was carried 25 paces away into a clearing and placed on a non-combustible spot of dirt

upon returning to the camp area the afore mentioned senior member of the group calmly turned and drew

the report was immediately followed by a huge fire ball(we all wear safety lenses in our every day eye wear) about 25 paces from camp :-O

the PROBY was instructed to police the area in the morning if he wanted to come again

HE DID a real well job of cleaning the mess leaving absodadgumlutely no evidence of the incident

BACK TO HEADLAMPS CANDLE LANTERNS AND THE CAMP FIRE ;-)

T

LOL I would "knot" be camping with your group. Even though I don't typically use the Coleman lantern while camping I have no desire to camp with people that want to tell me what and what "knot" to use while camping. Sound like you and your "senior" members are wrapped to tight.

vartz04

Adventurer
LOL I would "knot" be camping with your group. Even though I don't typically use the Coleman lantern while camping I have no desire to camp with people that want to tell me what and what "knot" to use while camping. Sound like you and your "senior" members are wrapped to tight.

He’s “retyred” per his profile...so he doesn’t have to use the “write” version of a word.

dreadlocks

Ive got red lights inside and outside the trailer door, they are wired to a dusk/dawn sensor so they turn on/off automagically.. really helps my 10yro Pyrenees get in and out of the trailer.. Its the only lighting I keep on.. dont screw with night vision nor attract a swarm of bugs.
MVIMG_20180825_195658.jpg

Ive got 2 of these LED torches, I really like em.. they've survived abuse from kids and weather much better than my previous flashlights and I dont need to carry spare batteries since I can recharge it w/USB charge supplies.

Last edited:

roving1

I love these things. I run them with lithium AA replacements that would probably last a week or two on 24hs a day. They have a bright mode, dim mode, orange light for night, and the silicone glows in the dark making them easy to find. For me they are so much better than hardwired lighting. I recharge them before big trips but I could probably get by with charging them once a year. Hook for hanging.

UST Spright LED Collapsible Water Resistant Lantern with 100 Lumens and Hook for Camping, Hiking, Emergency and Outdoor Survival https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YDQJ18E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5smtCbA6Y437R

@dreadlocks Thanks for the link to the flashlight. I been looking for a good EDC light that is waterproof. My old eyes aren't what they use to be and sometimes I am working inside a machine and machining coolant gets everywhere. Typical WallyWorld lights do not hold up.

I have several Energizer Headlamps stashed in vital places like glove boxes or tool boxes. They are inexpensive enough to hand out to the grandkids and do offer a red LED to help save night vision. I do find that the elastic bands do lose their elasticity quickly.

dreadlocks

I use a broom holder inside the door to hold em and am strict about them being put back, on low they are perfect for going off to drain fluids or lighting up tight spaces without being overwhelmed.. on high they are lil spotlights in a forest, the beam cuts deep into the foliage.. dunno how long battery last but its a while, I'd recharge em after a few outings just because, but never actually had to field recharge one yet.

Headlamps are ideal for a glovebox IMHO, even if you dont appreciate em normally you will when your holding a maglight in your teeth trying to change a tire.. its really nice having both hands free for recovery and repair.. I keep a headlamp in my soldering kit because it makes it so much easier on me.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Been using these things for 50 years. No issues so far. Anyone shoots one of my antique lanterns and I'll beat his fool ass to death with his own gun.

Dietz-Comet.jpg

ventura911

Adventurer
I’d originally planned on adding led’s around my Jeep, but upon further reflection, chose the simpler approach, as well. It’s quiet, nostalgic, and, since it automatically extinguishes if tipped over, its live, dancing flame steps in nicely for ambiance when campfires are unwise or prohibited.
27B37507-B720-4FDF-86E1-F2292567B397.jpeg

Last edited:

brianb2

Been using these things for 50 years. No issues so far. Anyone shoots one of my antique lanterns and I'll beat his fool ass to death with his own gun.

While it’s not a light I like to use, I enjoyed your post a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne