Let's talk about buckets

outback97

Adventurer

Almost always have a bucket on board. Super handy. I prefer the square cat litter ones as well.

Joe917

Explorer
We carry a 5 gallon paint pail. The air hose lives in it when we travel. In sub zero temps we leave the gray water valve open and drain into it, then carry to dump.

slomatt

Adventurer
We use a cheap plastic bucket that goes under the faucet of our water tank. It catches the grey water when people wash their hands, which we then use to put out the fire. Since this bucket is round it doesn't pack very well, and I'm really liking the idea of using a cat litter bucket. Thanks for the suggestion!

old_CWO

What self respecting Overlander would be caught outside without a couple of these...

I didn't think it possible, but it appears Yeti may have indeed created the peak Broverlander item.

Forty bucks for a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a Yeti logo. Its hard to believe the market would bear that...

dcg141

Adventurer
I carry 2 that I fashioned into a sink and grey water catch. They stack on top with a 12 volt pump that pumps fresh water from the bottom bucket into the top bucket. I cut a 3rd bucket top off about the size of a sink and cut the bottom off and pushed it inside that part and heated it to form a bowl. It drains in the top bucket.

Reactions: WVI

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I didn't think it possible, but it appears Yeti may have indeed created the peak Broverlander item.

Forty bucks for a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a Yeti logo. Its hard to believe the market would bear that...

I will admit to having one of these, a gift from an in-law. He is the type that would have a $40 bucket for the help to use when they wash his car... ?.

They are extremely heavy duty, probably 3-4x thicker and more plastic than a standard bucket, although I haven’t measured or weighed. The handle is about 1” web strapping and has a very comfortable grip. There is an organizer tray that drops into the top too. This isn’t a basic paint bucket. Is it worth $40? Probably not to me, I haven’t run out and bought any more.

However, the market seems to say they are worth it. If they were $25 and square, I would own at least 4 by now.

slomatt

Adventurer
After camping with a cheap 12" plastic bucket for years this thread made me think it might be time to upgrade. My only complaint with the bucket is that it takes up a lot of space in the truck and doesn't pack well since it is round. Thinking about it a bit more I realized that the issue is really the height, so I bought a UST collapsible bucket to test out. I've owned LED lights from this company in the past and they've held up well, and for ~$12 it's not a lot of money. I gave it to my 4 year old for durability testing and so far it has passed the "extend it by kicking it and collapse it by jumping on it" test (10+ times) with flying colors.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I got a collapsable bucket from REI but returned it as it was plastic and I wanted to replace the stainless one I have. Discovered the stainless one one was better as I can heat water in it on the propane stove. It travels in the Trasheroo when camping so it really does not take up much space. Did like the idea of a collapsable bucket though, still would put it in the Trasharoo for travel.

jgaz

Adventurer
Another source of a rectangular 4 gallon bucket is Costco powdered laundry detergent.

geojag

The square buckets are the best thing about my daughter getting a cat. I now get about a square bucket a week, give or take. They also make good heavy duty shipping containers, when taped up appropriately.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
The BranQ Portable Toilet is a 22 litre, square plastic bucket with a toilet seat and lid.

Tesco 22 litre tie top waste bin bags fit perfectly for hygienic disposal of waste.

When not in use as a toilet, this strong storage bucket was used for carrying smokeless charcoal briquettes and cut wood.

BranQ also make a BBQ briquettes storage bucket which has a lid that's designed as a seat, increasing its versatility and practicality.

I now use the BBQ version (the bucket base is the same injection moulded bucket as the portable toilet, just in a different colour) and I store the original toilet seat till its needed, that way I have increased usage from the same item, and the briquettes and wood are in their own bags which lift out in seconds without charcoal dust and mess.

The square bucket takes up less space than a similar capacity round one and the seat is surprisingly stable, it also makes a handy table to my helinox swivel chair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles