LETS SEE YOUR TRAILERS!!!!

Lucky j

Explorer
Entirely caused by operator error.
That was just past the bottom of a relatively steep / straight descent that was bisected by several ruts / ledges 12"-18" deep that were 45* to the road bed. After I felt the trailer ease through the last rut I applied generous throttle in second gear to take advantage of the smooth road ahead. Unfortunately what I thought was the last rut was actually the second to last, so I accelerated hard just before the right trailer tire dropped into a rut as the left came out. Time seemed to slow down once I realized what was happening so it seemed like it was on one wheel for a loooong time. In reality from the time the driver's side tire left the ground until the flop was complete only took seconds and may have covered twenty feet
It took out a marker light lens/ grommet and scratched the fender a little. It took longer to reorganize the trailer than it did to put it back on it's wheels.

Nice to know it wasn't so bad.

Do you have a pic of your LJ and the trailer in the up-right position?

This is also my cup of tea, so always nice to see others! :)

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
15493469_1809205562669277_7500186608664905073_o_zps3zkbp9jr.jpg

Dinoot J-Series trailer. Mine is custom narrowed. Flipped the axles, ran 235/75/15 tires when I pulled it behind the Suzuki, then upgraded to 31x10.50x15 Yokohamas to match the Cherokee. Mamba MR1X wheels with 1.25" spacers and Bushwacker Pocket Style fender flares from a TJ, slightly cut down.

Thule roof rack on simulated gutters and a CVT Mt. Bachelor tent. Up front, 10 gallons of fuel on the tongue. LED rear tailllights. It's straight axle, no shocks. Very lightweight.

bluejeep

just a guy
just picked this up

Purchased this recently. Really excited about getting it out into 'the wild'. So far I 'rested' in it for 4 hours at a rest stop while I was bringing it home. Really easy/quick to setup. And roomy, both in the storage area and the sleeping area. And pulls down the hiway like a dream.

I am changing out the wheels/tires to something matching my own Jeep.
So far the tires have sold, but the rims are still available for sale

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/167850-Moto-Metal-chrome-rims-(incl-red-amp-chrome-inserts)-18-x-9

Slide21.JPGSlide1.JPGSlide3.JPGSlide20.JPGSlide24.JPG

Heading Out

Adventurer
OK, a two part question for those who built on the Harbor Freight type frames, First, Did you modify/reinforce the frame, and if so, how did you change it.

Second, how are the trailers holding up to off road use?

I'm thinking of putting a small trailer together and looking at my options.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
OK, a two part question for those who built on the Harbor Freight type frames, First, Did you modify/reinforce the frame, and if so, how did you change it.

Second, how are the trailers holding up to off road use?

I modified a 4x8 1720-lb. capacity HF frame to be the correct size for a Dinoot M-series fiberglass military trailer tub and in the process added a center backbone to strengthen it and add a rear receiver:

FrameDone20_zpsa7f5c819.jpg

M72Inspected1_zps3f98b154.jpg

I've put several thousand road miles on it to date hauling cargo but only a few miles off-road. I wouldn't hesitate to tow it anywhere though, it's been completely trouble-free.

Some people recommend welding the bolted joints in the HF frame for more rugged use, that's probably not a bad idea, although I haven't had any issues with my bolted frame.

Instructions for what I did start here: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-119-post-2158.html#pid2158

A few years earlier I built a fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer on another HF 1720-lb. capacity frame using the same techniques and it's had quite a bit of off-road use with no issues. While the trailer had no issues, the terrain was rough enough to break the cargo carrier that was in the rear receiver, you can see only part of it sticking out of the receiver in this view :).

image-708304.jpeg

4OHi6

Second, how are the trailers holding up to off road use?i

I welded the base frame and tacked in other places as I built it for offroad use. Not required but I wanted to learn to weld as part of the project.

IMG_20151226_150537.jpg

Also I filled in some holes that were not used for a cleaner look.

IMG_20151226_154942.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online