Let's see your roof-rack organization pics

sytfu510

Urban UAV
I have found that I don't have any pics of my full setup, but I've got some partials.

I use a combination of a cargo 'dry bag' (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H6P55W/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i010). I'd contemplated dry bags for white water rafting or some other technique but felt it was overkill for my application. Haven't tested it in a downpour yet but so far so good. Front of the SD rack has some perm mounted boxes (recovery gear) where I put pelican cases. In between I'll put stuff like camp chairs-when I do that (vice stuffing them in the keeper bag) I use a raingler full cargo net to keep everything secure-their Large Containment Net (http://www.raingler.com/merch88universal.htm)
View attachment 127307View attachment 127308

Thanks for the tip, I ordered on myself.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The XV-JP Jeep has a JAOS aluminum rack

2 -   (21).JPG

with L-track on all four outer edges.

P1010542.jpg.

A shovel is mounted with Quick Fists on curbside and an ax on streetside, and the poles for the Foxwing awning are cinch-strapped across the back.

P1010540.jpg

Two RotoPax mounting plates were attached. With extensions for the holddowns, it carries as many as six two-gallon containers. It's more common, though, to carry a pair of MaxTraxs across the front of the rack.

P1010554.jpg

The remaining space is taken up by a big aluminum Alu-Box from Equipt. This case is light, waterproof and stores all sorts of useful stuff.

P1010555.jpg

sixbennetts

Adventurer
One thing I've never understood about roof racks, and I see this all the time. Stuff on the roof but the truck ain't full yet. I know ya gotta be able to see out the back, but I see people all the time with a loaded roof rack and nothing in the truck.

spikemd

Explorer
The XV-JP Jeep has a JAOS aluminum rack
The remaining space is taken up by a big aluminum Alu-Box from Equipt. This case is light, waterproof and stores all sorts of useful stuff.

View attachment 140003

How is your Alu-box attached to the rack? I am looking for a large waterproof box to attach to my rack that will basically remain permanent during a trip. It will too heavy loaded up to haul up and down. I am getting the Farmtek chicken coop so I can stand up there. The ladder really makes it easy to get up on the SD rack.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
This thread was helpful to me so I am adding to it in the event it may help someone else.

I have a flat utility Bajarack on the cab and Yakima bars on the truck topper.

The yakima bars hold a section of ABS pipe with Kodiak tent poles inside, two aluminum Flex One Folding Chairs, and a Road Shower.

The Bajarack holds my 75 Watt solar array, Three burner Camp Chef Expedition stove (90K BTU!), BBQ Box, a 10x10 popup canopy, and dual band ham antenna

DSC09656.JPG

DSC09655 - Copy.JPG

DSC09658.JPG

In this picture we were on our way out of the campground (thus the trash on the roof and solar bag shower resting on the chairs). The solar bag shower was resting there as we cruised down to the lake for an hour before taking off.
DSC09644.JPG

Traveled over 1,000 miles round trip with no issues.

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
That's from farm tek it's chicken coop flooring usually costs about $25 a sheet. I have some for my roof. Use heavy duty zip ties to hold it down and lots of them but you can walk on it.

O.K. Slight side track here. Have any of you walked on this grate/flooring with bare feet? This looks like IDEAL material to make a suspended outdoor floor for the outside shower if it is comfortable to stand on. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ray_G

Explorer
O.K. Slight side track here. Have any of you walked on this grate/flooring with bare feet? This looks like IDEAL material to make a suspended outdoor floor for the outside shower if it is comfortable to stand on. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yep, I've gotten on my roof rack with no shoes on before and the ladder is far more uncomfortable to climb and then flooring is to stand on. Kiddos, barefoot as much as possible, also are on there quite a bit. I think your idea is a solid one-theoretically you could use a piece for roof rack flooring, get to a camp site and detach it for a shower floor, and then re-install later. Likewise just a half of one section would be fairly compact and easy to strap down for shower use too.
r-
Ray

zukrider

Explorer
We have 3 of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d=-1&keyword=Plano&storeId=10051#.UHecXZG9KSM

Had them strapped to our roof rack with ratchet straps from harbor freight. Total cost $100.00

DSC00613.jpg

This is prior to me installing anchors inside my Disco cargo area due to the RTT. Worked really well. We had a tarp over the setup as a extra layer with a cargo net which fits the entire roof rack, both from harbor freight.

What I have moved towards instead is using the same tubs but buying backpacker gear ie lightweight and small to keep the weight down.

Hey Brad, is it 14" tall, or deep? shows 38x14x18. 2 of these might work well for me on my new rack.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Cargo bag storage solution: this is something I've been thinking about for a while so I finally did it. I used a 100lbs bicycle hoist to store, load and unload the roof top cargo bag. Rather than packing and unpacking stuff from the storage bins at home to the cargo bag and back for each trip. Instead I now have everything stored in the cargo bag (78lbs) ready to be dropped right on the roof rack and go. In theory all I now have to 'pack' is just food and clothes. It's one of those things that once you do it you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

IMG_5065Custom_zps99bb67e3.jpg

What's stored in the cargo bag:
5 person Eureka tent
3 folding chairs
3 sleeping pads (2.5" and one XL 3.5")
3 sleeping bags
1 XL collapsible dog crate
1 Roll-A-Table

this is something I've been thinking about for a while so I finally did it. I used a 100lbs bicycle hoist to store, load and unload the roof top cargo bag. Rather than packing and unpacking stuff from the cargo bag to the storage bins and back for each trip I now have everything stored in the cargo bag (78lbs) ready to be dropped right on the roof rack. In theory all I now have to 'pack' is just food and clothes. It's one of those things that once you do it you wonder why you didn't do this sooner?'.

IMG_5030Custom_zps9eb3e83c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

jerdog53

Explorer
I use my roof rack all the time but I never took pictures of it loaded up, will have to rectify that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94