Let's see your roof-rack organization pics

stioc

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for ideas on what and how to utilize the roof-rack and carry very little inside the car :coffee:

Here's my mess (but securely strapped to survive a crash should one happen). I've got an EZ awning, chairs, tent and sleeping pads.

1BA8B832-D144-45B0-B349-3286B96661BA-36690-00002CD24BB83166.jpg

I guess this would be one way of doing it

86d1345663674-focus-st-roof-rack-packed-car.jpeg

...but looking for more sane ideas like these perhaps:

DSC_0141.jpg

4cc2bdd4.jpg

Do you guys use a bungee net, ratchet straps, Action Packers or soft bags?

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Hmm, I guess I must be the only one on ExPo with a roof rack that actually gets used for something other than a RTT :sombrero:

Rynomar

Observer
Have you looked at the Safari Straps? http://www.safaristraps.com/utility-nets
I am a huge fan of their utility nets for strapping stuff down in my JK. I don't have a roof rack yet, but am planning to get one soon and thinking these nets will be handy for holding stuff down. They are really well made and you can really put some tension on them.

Hope that helps a bit!

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I no longer have a vehicle with a roof rack now that I'm back in a truck, but the organizational concept is largely the same. My two cents: I will not use anything bungee. I've found that they are not dependable (knots come apart, elastic breaks down in the sunlight, they stretch under shifting loads and items come loose, etc.).

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I use a combination of dry bags and a 'sealed' action packer.
Chairs and chain saw get strapped down as is.
Two very large dry bags...one holds all of our sleeping bags, tents, and cold weather gear...the other holds all of our clothing.
The action packer holds the ground sheets, sleeping pads, and some random items.
I use quality cam-straps for all of my gear lashing.
Sorry about the 'far-away' pics.

P1011041_2.JPG
P1011137cropped.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Rynomar, those nets do look quality. Thanks for the link.

Plannerman, I'm with you, I recently bought a large bungee net but it was money wasted...the gaps in the netting are huge enough for the rolledup chair to slip out and in an emergency braking situation I don't think it'll hold much weight the plastic clips at the ends are very lightweight.

Inyo_man, thanks for the pics! Love the Montero. I'm pretty much going for the setup you have. I may throw an Action Packer or a Sterilite Footlocker up there but I recently bought a soft car-top cargo carrier which is water-proof and large enough to hold all the sleeping gear, clothing, tent and room to spare. But I have to say I could've done this without spending the money on the roof-rack.

Ramjet

Explorer
Have you looked at the Safari Straps? http://www.safaristraps.com/utility-nets
I am a huge fan of their utility nets for strapping stuff down in my JK. I don't have a roof rack yet, but am planning to get one soon and thinking these nets will be handy for holding stuff down. They are really well made and you can really put some tension on them.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks Rynomar. I was going to make one, but this will actually save me some money.

Rynomar

Observer
I picked up a couple different sizes and have used them quite a bit. I personally like the 2" webbing better as it seems that you can tighten it more without pinching the bags or whatever you are strapping down like the 1" webbing does.

Ramjet

Explorer
I picked up a couple different sizes and have used them quite a bit. I personally like the 2" webbing better as it seems that you can tighten it more without pinching the bags or whatever you are strapping down like the 1" webbing does.

Thanks for the heads up. That's the one I'm looking at. I'm going to use 2 on my Baja Rack.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Inyo_man, thanks for the pics! Love the Montero. I'm pretty much going for the setup you have. I may throw an Action Packer or a Sterilite Footlocker up there but I recently bought a soft car-top cargo carrier which is water-proof and large enough to hold all the sleeping gear, clothing, tent and room to spare. But I have to say I could've done this without spending the money on the roof-rack.

Thanks for the compliments.
If you do end up using an Action Packer, I found that running a strip of rubber weather stripping around the lip of the cover makes it dust and moisture proof.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Camping in the Sierras--a while ago

PICT0106.jpg

Sawmillllakejune12025.jpg

Ratchet straps-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

jeepj667

Observer
My loading varies by trip.

This trip I had:
2- 255/85/16 spares
2- 5gal gas cans
1- Actionpacker
2- bundles firewood
3- camping chairs
and a shovel.

All strapped down with ratchet straps.

Attachments

• DSC_0366.JPG
    DSC_0366.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0366.JPG
    DSC_0366.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 225

bonomonster

Adventurer
This is what we use... Ratchet strapped down of course, just to make sure it isn't going anywhere
uploadfromtaptalk1349017368519.jpg

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
This is what we use... Ratchet strapped down of course, just to make sure it isn't going anywhere
View attachment 123701

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

I also use a cargo box, however mines the thule. I dont have to worry about things being sealed properly, the elements, strapping things down & it is amazing just how much I can store in it

I want a roof rack, but have yet to convince myself to do such other than the advantage of being able to place lights up there

DSC_2691.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke