Let's see your homemade rock sliders!

arveetek

Adventurer
I'm getting ready to build some rock sliders for my Tahoe. I'd like to see what others have done. Some have made them out of round tube, some out of square stock, some out of a combination of the two.

Let's see what ya'll have made!

Thanks,

Casey

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Here are the sliders I made for my '82 CJ8. 6"X3/16" plate bolted to the lower part of the body. Bolts welded in. 4"x1/4" angle iron welded in a wedge over the plate with darted corners:

They've been hammered on well and lived to run another day.
jefe

MotoDave

Explorer
I built these for my old T100. 2" 3/16 wall square for the main tube, 1 3/4" 1/8" wall for the kick out. They held the weight of the truck a few times without bending, so it seemed strong enough to me. Mounts were 4 places each size, welded to diamond shaped plates on the frame to spread out the load and avoid vertical welds across the frame rail.
IMAG0201.jpg
2012-05-30%u0025252018.26.44%2520%2528Large%2529.jpg
2012-05-30%u0025252018.26.33%2520%2528Large%2529.jpg

Kowboy

Adventurer
Any pics of how they are mounted? Looks good.

Thanks.

Only pic I could find was this one for the skid plate over the Atlas. Off to the sides though you can see where the slider supports come over to the frame and are welded.

20131115_A_skid plate done.JPG

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
3x3x.188 square tube for slider and the runners. Welded to frame with larger fish plates. Located for the family step and accounts for frame flex (gap is width of a tape measure :chuckle: ). They have held full loaded weight numerous times.

IMG_20120401_162611.jpg

Clearance on the runners
IMG_20120505_172922.jpg

Obligatory family signature
IMG_20130514_135454_705_zpsdf5e9a63.jpg

IMG_20130601_131509_202_zps3953cefa.jpg

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I used 2"x3" rectangle and 1 1/2 " 120 wall to attach to frame. I have also made them out of 1 3/4 120 wall. Just depends on what you have available and the look you want.

Good Luck.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
i built these for my wifes jeep.

is this a bad idea for a vehicle with a real frame?

Attachments

• slider.jpg
    slider.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 96

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Not sure I understand the question, but I'll try. I don't seen anything of an issue with that box tube used as the slider/rail. For a unibody vehicle (XJ is most typical candidate) it WILL matter how that slider is attached. For a body on frame chassis, it matters how the runners are attached to the frame (welded or bolted) and amount of frame flex to compensate.

So are you asking if the capped box tube shown on the cherokee is good/bad for a body on frame chassis? :confused:

bjm206

Adventurer
I made some rocker sliders/steps up for my Excursion using an aftermarket tube step and 3"X3" square tube steel as a starting point. Seam welded everything together, added some gusseting and reinforced the vehicle mounting points with welded in plate steel. So far they have held up to the occasional scrape and hit.

8990738983_086fce68ac_z.jpg

6956129062_b529fd42a9_z.jpg

Last edited:

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Not sure I understand the question, but I'll try. I don't seen anything of an issue with that box tube used as the slider/rail. For a unibody vehicle (XJ is most typical candidate) it WILL matter how that slider is attached. For a body on frame chassis, it matters how the runners are attached to the frame (welded or bolted) and amount of frame flex to compensate.

So are you asking if the capped box tube shown on the cherokee is good/bad for a body on frame chassis? :confused:

sorry for not elaborating, i mean doing a rocker-replacment. cutting them in like this.

should be fine for a body-on-frame right?

Attachments

• cut rocker.jpg
    cut rocker.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 85

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Yeah, another way of describing that is frenching in. Very common on XJs like what you show.

For body on frame, it's not typical, but definitely done more so for rocker replacement due to rust out and/or more clearance. French in to as much surface area as possible. Additional gusseting to the body bulkhead/pillars shouldn't be overlooked. Possible issue would arise from door sill, seals, and alignment. Pretty much an economical way of replacing the rockers, provided tools in hand. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles