Let's see your homemade rock sliders!

redneckjeepr

Observer
not really rock sliders per se, more like steps and bed access, but would help deflect a rock if needed
1.5" 10 gauge(.134"wall) HREW welded to frame

arveetek

Adventurer
Making progress:

Sliders%202.jpg

Sliders%206.jpg

Sliders%205.jpg

Sliders%203.jpg

I've almost finished the first one. Need to make some end caps for the tubes, and build some gussets to where they'll attach to the frame. Then I need to finish stripping them of rust so I can paint, and then weld them on!

Casey

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I have a real old 1978 Chevy pick-up that has a frame that is notorious for being as soft and flexible as a boiled noodle. If I placed the sliders 2 inches under the bodywork would it give me enough clearance to avoid hitting the bodywork/rocker panels of the cab and box? I was thinking a piece of angle iron bolted to the frame in the whole length of the slider that streches from the back of the front wheel and almost to the front of the rear wheel would work as a good anchor point to bolt to the frame. Any feedback?:ylsmoke:

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
redneckjpr -- that's a great homemade version! nice lines and fit.

arveetek -- great progress! those are rockin and forgive me but that's a Tahoe/Blazer? I'd recommend you do the end caps before putting to the frame rails unless you are skilled overhead position welder haha!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have a real old 1978 Chevy pick-up that has a frame that is notorious for being as soft and flexible as a boiled noodle. If I placed the sliders 2 inches under the bodywork would it give me enough clearance to avoid hitting the bodywork/rocker panels of the cab and box? I was thinking a piece of angle iron bolted to the frame in the whole length of the slider that streches from the back of the front wheel and almost to the front of the rear wheel would work as a good anchor point to bolt to the frame. Any feedback?:ylsmoke:

I don't think you would have to go that far. The slider will actually help remove the frame flex. I gave 1" on my 84 budget beater and never hit the paint.

arveetek

Adventurer
arveetek -- great progress! those are rockin and forgive me but that's a Tahoe/Blazer? I'd recommend you do the end caps before putting to the frame rails unless you are skilled overhead position welder haha!

Thanks! Those pictures just show the sliders up their for mock-up. I will weld the end caps on and fully paint them before installing the sliders permanently.

Yes, it's a 95 Tahoe. First year that GM decided to stop calling them Blazers and officially call them the 2 door Tahoe. I wish they were still called Blazers. Took me a long time getting used to calling it a Tahoe.

Casey

arveetek

Adventurer
Getting closer!

Sliders%207.jpg

Almost ready to mount. I was able to dig up some 1.75" HREW tubing to add a couple of more support legs.

Casey

RC_Kota

I know this is an old thread but arveetek did you ever get your sliders finished? I've been researching ideas for a few weeks on designs for sliders for my Dakota. I was drawn in by the set wh1t3nukle did on his ram.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Some pretty cool looking slider fabrication here on this thread. Does anyone else have some cool pics to post? Always good for some inspiration to us here at Expo. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Flyboat

Observer
stand by, I will make mine for the burb soon. first up is a winch bumper I want it as tight and tucked as possible

arveetek

Adventurer
I know this is an old thread but arveetek did you ever get your sliders finished? I've been researching ideas for a few weeks on designs for sliders for my Dakota. I was drawn in by the set wh1t3nukle did on his ram.

Sorry, just now saw this. I still haven't finished my sliders!! :( Life keeps getting in the way. I've used my rig on several trips.... luckily I've avoided body damage each time.

Casey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior