Lets see your 80 series RTT pics

TeCKis300

Observer
Not an 80, but hopefully close enough. This is the CVT Rainier that someone was asking earlier on my hundy. I was a family of 3 at the time and very accomodating for 3. I sold it shortly after we found out we were expecting a 2nd child since we wouldn't be camping for a better part of 2 years. Now as a family of 4, I'm re-thinking this since I don't think it'll be too comfy for 4 when the kids are grown. I've been thinking about a smaller Mt. Shasta with a plan to hang it off the rear, using the lower annex to enclose the tailgate. 2 sleeping up top in the tent and 2 others in the trunk/tailgate open to the annex. I haven't seen pics of this exact configuration yet, but that's my hope

p814753257-4.jpg

p1219766622-5.jpg

concretejungle

Adventurer
Here is my old set-up. it was made by CAMPAusa which makes camping trailers. I just sold it. I'm currently without a RTT.

I am planning on pulling the trigger on one of these in the next month or two: http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/discoveryspaceevolution.php

My negatives about the fold over type RTTs are very minimal. First off, they are huge up on top of the truck! I could feel mine up there especially with a foam mattress and sleeping bags, pillows, blanket. It was not aerodynamic and i really could sense a loss in gas milage and performance. Then there is the time it takes to set up and take down. Now that's being picky because it doesn't take any longer to set up then a regular tent. But, when it's wet or if you are breaking down first thing in the morning, the dew is on the tent and you hate to fold it all up wet. Lastly, in the east on tight trails the travel bag would get snagged by branches and rip.

So, after seeing several hard shell RTTs, i'm sold on one. They pop up in seconds and fold down in seconds. Even if they are wet in the morning, a quick wipe of a towel and they are ready to fold down. You can leave all your gear in them and they are lighter and more aerodynamic.

With all that said, i will miss the changing room when i'm camped in the same spot for days. It was like having a private room for changing, cooking, taking a poop or anything.

Attachments

• IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 58

TeCKis300

Observer
concretejungle - Cool to see you tried it in both rear and side configs. What were your impressions of it hanging off the rear?

I agree with all your thoughts. I likewise could tell that the car assumed a more bricklike aero going down the fwy especially above 65+ mph. And I was surprised how much more the car seemed to roll with only a couple hundred pounds up top. If it had such an effect on a cruiser, than I wonder how the smaller 4x4 are taking the added weight.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I liked it off the rear the best..... haha that sounds a little awkward!

This gave me a "kitchen" so to speak. I could cook and access the tent without having to worry about rain, wind or spys. At the beach it was particularly nice. I could warm up the solar shower bag and then hang it in the room, take a warm shower and rinse off, then climb right in bed. Pretty slick.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
I am planning on pulling the trigger on one of these in the next month or two: http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/discoveryspaceevolution.php

My negatives about the fold over type RTTs are very minimal. First off, they are huge up on top of the truck! I could feel mine up there especially with a foam mattress and sleeping bags, pillows, blanket. It was not aerodynamic and i really could sense a loss in gas milage and performance. Then there is the time it takes to set up and take down. Now that's being picky because it doesn't take any longer to set up then a regular tent. But, when it's wet or if you are breaking down first thing in the morning, the dew is on the tent and you hate to fold it all up wet. Lastly, in the east on tight trails the travel bag would get snagged by branches and rip.

So, after seeing several hard shell RTTs, i'm sold on one. They pop up in seconds and fold down in seconds. Even if they are wet in the morning, a quick wipe of a towel and they are ready to fold down. You can leave all your gear in them and they are lighter and more aerodynamic.

With all that said, i will miss the changing room when i'm camped in the same spot for days. It was like having a private room for changing, cooking, taking a poop or anything.

what kind of price tag is attached to the james barouds? i don't see anything on the website. also doesn't look like they offer changing rooms, so you're still kind of screwed there. i picked up a changing room for my maggi, but my top was produced before the rooms were available so i have to modify it to get the room hooked up. maybe you could modify that top for a room too.

i run a 4" lifted 80 with no sway bars and while i do notice the top, it's not that much more noticable than without, either on trails like rubicon or on street.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Iggy, i ran the rubicon with you last year! So i saw your setup and many others.

The list price on the tent i was looking at was $2,600, new. Plus $300 for shipping. To me that was a deal. Here is a link with prices: http://ok4wd.com/shop-by-vendor/james-baroud-rooftop-tents.html

Also, any of the rooms that fit on a maggi should fit on these as well. I'm not really all to concerned about that to be honest. My plan is to minimize a little. I am just going to get 4 collapsable tent poles, some rope, 4 stakes and a tarp and basically have a cheap canopy over the rear of the cruiser for chilling and cooking. Just get the sun off me and any rain. If i need more, i can go to Walmart and get a canopy tent with zip in sides for around $120, set it up off the rear of the truck and be done with it.

92hdj81

Observer
We have a family of five, started with an Eezi Awn 2200 and ended up upgrading to a Eezi Awn 2200 T-top with the add a Room. Now we have a ton of space.

From this:

To This:

concretejungle

Adventurer
just got this delivered. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but i'm pretty excited to test it out.

Here are some pics of it installed. Just installed it today.

Attachments

• IMG_4318.jpg
    IMG_4318.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4319.jpg
    IMG_4319.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4338.jpg
    IMG_4338.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg