Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

trailbuilt

Looking for ideas for setting up my long bed dodge diesel with a standard camper shell. Looking at setting it up to sleep in.

surfobx2009

Here is my set up, it's a hinged platform bed and I use a Full size futon mattress on top.

Attachments

• 1 bed.jpg
    1 bed.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 4,891
  • 1 bike mounts.jpg
    1 bike mounts.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4,054

FAW3

Adventurer
I have an extended cab full size with a short bed. With my alum cap "on" I use a "roll-a-cot" from campmor products for sleeping in the truck. This is one of the few cots without a middle leg - so you can place it right next to the side wall. You can fit 2 side by side in most trucks for sleeping 2 if needed. Very light, very comfortable with a pad/sleeping bag. For me alone, I often use just one cot, leaves plenty of room in bed.

I keep all my hunting/camping gear in plastic storage containers - keeps stuff organized, dry and clean.

Use a tarp off the back with two extendable poles for additional shade/shelter.

Have a special 12vt. cord that plugs in to my trailer wiring outlet that feeds a pair of power outlets in bed - for running lights/fan when needed.

I slapped on a 2" front receiver for moving my boat around, and want to rig up a portable winch set up for the truck next.

Frank
95 Chev 4x4
Northern VA.

surfbark

Well I have been scoping out the site for quite awhile and made a few posts, but I am happy to share my truck and what I have done in the back after finding this kick butt site. I had another setup back there, but after getting some ideas from here.... TADA! Enjoy

Attachments

• Expo Super Duty 001.JPG
    Expo Super Duty 001.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 8,651
  • Expo Super Duty 002.JPG
    Expo Super Duty 002.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 5,263
  • Expo Super Duty 004.JPG
    Expo Super Duty 004.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 4,725
  • Expo Super Duty 005.JPG
    Expo Super Duty 005.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 4,511
  • Expo Super Duty 006.JPG
    Expo Super Duty 006.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 4,614

bucketosudz

Explorer
Surfbark, do you have any details on your build you would be willing to share in another thread? I have a 90 F250 that has a carpeted bed kit most are familiar with. I would like to do some re-building but it will have to wait til Spring. I need to setup a photobucket account and I will share mine.

surfbark

sure....I would be happy to! I had a heck of a time when I got my idea and of course it evolved as I went. I am still going to install an air compressor (extreme air) for future locker and OBA as well as 110v receptacles and solar panels on the top. I will figure out how to photobucket also! Thanks for asking

trailbuilt

Well I have been scoping out the site for quite awhile and made a few posts, but I am happy to share my truck and what I have done in the back after finding this kick butt site. I had another setup back there, but after getting some ideas from here.... TADA! Enjoy

Very Nice, that what Im talking about...Keep them coming..

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Okay, here is mine. I posted it elsewhere here before. Wish I would have gotten a Flippac topper through as I could sure use more room.

My buddy’s dad helped build this creation. He did an awesome job with my requirement of NOT drilling any holes into the truck. All of this is only held in my two ½ bolts that fasten under the front bed pockets where Generious Motors already left two nice drain holes. The rest fits together so tightly no additional fastening was needed. I hate drilling holes in old trucks! I then covered it with foam and used trunk liner fabric. The gray Rhino liner, Snugtop headliner and trunk fabric came together nicely.

It has 3 hinged compartments to stash gear, tools, 12v power outlets (the topper runs on it's own fuse box under the platform), etc with enough room to fit my travel refrig and cooler between the platform and tailgate. I just relocated the Hi-lift to the cargo rack so that freed up some room. Probabably will be moving the spare tire soon as well to free up even more space. My buddy and I are getting ready for a big trip all over the Grand Canyon area this summer so it will get a lot of use this year.

1189000002_dcfb24ce16.jpg

1189000732_930bf2931b.jpg

1188132333_52b841c9cf.jpg

1189002118_a05392211e.jpg

1189002264_1996f7d15e.jpg

1188088739_38dbf2f5aa.jpg

Even has a built in kitchen countertop for demonstrating your trail food preparation abilities as the glass lid works like a mirror so the people sitting behind the truck can watch you as you prepare food. :chowtime:

1188960242_bc8a1364d9.jpg

Probably to back up and take another run at it :smiley_drive:
I guess my question is...which is the better mount for a 1/2 ton Dodge 4x4? Front or rear? Seems that if rock crawling is your game, then front mount is the call. But if I primarily do desert/mountain expedition over varied terrain with some forced crawling, then rear makes sense when I need to pull my butt out of somewhere I maybe shouldn't have gone in the first place. Am I off-base with this reasoning?

Just some questions from somebody who used his truck for lightweight purposes in the past, but is looking to expand its range now that it's not my daily driver.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles