Lets see some full size pictures...

dfinn

Adventurer
Somewhere outside of Flagstaff
52061880754_b17a21c18d_b.jpg

@dfinn Dope GFC raptor setup, I wish I had the guts to pull the trigger on that.

I've had my 15' f-150 platinum for a few years and I'm just now getting it ready for doing something more then hauling bikes to/from the trailhead. My wife and I will be dipping our toes in some light overlanding and off grid excursions starting this summer/fall. Right now, it's nothing more then a mall crawler, but we'll be getting it out for some fun soon enough. Many more upgrades to be made for lighting, on board power, air compressor etc. But it's at least as start.

pxl_20220508_144115878-mp-jpg.720934

pxl_20220508_174604957-mp-jpg.720932

Attachments

• PXL_20220508_174604957.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220508_174604957.MP.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,499
  • PXL_20220508_144115878.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220508_144115878.MP.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 1,533
Didn't go as planned... Active shutters, Upper Grill, and Lower Grill to be replaced. It was a blast though!View attachment 717237
Take it as an opertunity to upgrade. If your going to off road remove the active grill shutter and throw it away they are sensitive and easily broken and not necessary. Either live with the check engine light or get a tune to turn it off. And maybe install beefer aftermarket grill inserts or make your own. When you have flimsey factory stuff fail i always like to take it as an opertunity to upgrade. Thanks for sharing your uh oh moments we all have them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maximumrob

Adventurer
Here’s my full size rig. My stubborn self making a Yukon XL (Suburban) work.
View attachment 7175382007 GMC Yukon XL Denali

I like it! “Run what ya brung!” Anybody with a credit card or deep pockets can buy a 4Runner and bolt on everything they see on a website. If you’re going to bash on a vehicle for hours on end down bumpy washboarded roads, why not make it a used vehicle you trust instead of a shiny $70k vehicle with 1,000-lbs of weight it wasn’t designed to carry? You’re doing it right.

bnkrpt

@dfinn Dope GFC raptor setup, I wish I had the guts to pull the trigger on that.

I've had my 15' f-150 platinum for a few years and I'm just now getting it ready for doing something more then hauling bikes to/from the trailhead. My wife and I will be dipping our toes in some light overlanding and off grid excursions starting this summer/fall. Right now, it's nothing more then a mall crawler, but we'll be getting it out for some fun soon enough. Many more upgrades to be made for lighting, on board power, air compressor etc. But it's at least as start.

pxl_20220508_144115878-mp-jpg.720934

pxl_20220508_174604957-mp-jpg.720932
What bed cover and rail setup do you have?

As a Subaru junky with a F150 on order, I love these photos :D

What bed cover and rail setup do you have?

As a Subaru junky with a F150 on order, I love these photos :D

Thanks for the comments. That is a RetraxPro XR tonenau cover and a Yakima overhaul HD rack with 68" crossbars. The two manual operated models that have the T-slot tracks are the RetraxOne XR (Vinyl slats/cover) and the RetraxPro XR (aluminum slats/cover). They are the same save the fact that the cover on the One series is vinyl and it has a weight limit of 300lbs vs the pro with 500lbs (distributed). I honestly was going to buy the One XR vinyl cover and I just happened to find this pro model for sale for a steal locally. i can't imagine ever loading up 500lbs (or even 300 for that matter) on top of this thing for any reason. The yakima rack is great, there seems to be some good knock off ones out there, but these are readily available new and used (for very cheap which is what I did). Overall, I'm very happy with the setup and with a 120lb roof top tent on it, it's incredibly stable. The bonus is that my wife and I can easily remove the tent, and then I can quickly side the rear portion of the rack to the front and still use my truck bed for hauling large items if need be.

As for the subaru... we just got this 2 weeks ago after waiting quite a bit for it to arrive. This is my wife's car and tbh, we're beyond stoked with it. In the 5 months we waited for it, we accumulated quite the stack of parts so I'm currently working my way through getting everything done on that so I can get back to making bad life choices working on my truck lol.

IJKnN0A.jpg

bnkrpt

Thanks for the comments. That is a RetraxPro XR tonenau cover and a Yakima overhaul HD rack with 68" crossbars. The two manual operated models that have the T-slot tracks are the RetraxOne XR (Vinyl slats/cover) and the RetraxPro XR (aluminum slats/cover). They are the same save the fact that the cover on the One series is vinyl and it has a weight limit of 300lbs vs the pro with 500lbs (distributed). I honestly was going to buy the One XR vinyl cover and I just happened to find this pro model for sale for a steal locally. i can't imagine ever loading up 500lbs (or even 300 for that matter) on top of this thing for any reason. The yakima rack is great, there seems to be some good knock off ones out there, but these are readily available new and used (for very cheap which is what I did). Overall, I'm very happy with the setup and with a 120lb roof top tent on it, it's incredibly stable. The bonus is that my wife and I can easily remove the tent, and then I can quickly side the rear portion of the rack to the front and still use my truck bed for hauling large items if need be.

As for the subaru... we just got this 2 weeks ago after waiting quite a bit for it to arrive. This is my wife's car and tbh, we're beyond stoked with it. In the 5 months we waited for it, we accumulated quite the stack of parts so I'm currently working my way through getting everything done on that so I can get back to making bad life choices working on my truck lol.

IJKnN0A.jpg
Thanks! The Yakima rack and a cover are on the list for the truck when it shows up. I just haven't committed to the retractable covers due to the space they take up in the bed. We had a 2017 Outback and then added a 2001 5 speed Outback to the garage. Once the kids got bigger we traded the 17 Outback for a 2020 Ascent. Shortly after that I dumped the 01 Outback for a 2020 WRX but the WRX was just too impractical for what we want to do now that the kids are getting older and we are travelling more so I placed an order for a new F150. I'm beyond stoked.

I really dig your setup so I may PM you in the future and not take up more time in this thread haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles