Lets see some full size pictures...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
;)

50347683451_331955b978_h.jpg

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Nissan and Toyota still sell simple,boxy and in some cases diesels, trucks and SUV's in the Mideast and Africa. Solid axles,hubs,manuals etc. What the hell happened here?

Marketing decisions based on what soccer moms want I reckon. I prefer the utilitarian and plain styling myself . Both interior and exterior. Only frills I need are heat, AC and an AM/FM radio.

The W250 Dodge is a 93, last of the square body design. Then they made them all soft and cuddly looking.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I would argue that "boxy" is a subjective qualification and while a cube does maximize interior volume it's not necessary that the outer edges be creased for this and sharp creases mean wind noise and typically poor aero performance. Those factors may not seem important to a user who's going to play Katamari through the overland bro store but there are a lot of people who yet value efficiency and refinement.

And safety - as I understand it the LC7x series would fail American pedestrian safety standards which nobody cares about until it's their own loved ones preventably in a wheelchair.

Still I think the 79 could be made to meet the technical qualifications to sell in the USA it's not as if Toyota is lacking in talent or resources to invest if they wanted to. So I think the obstacle (real or imagined) is that for some reason nobody wants to sell a genuinely utilitarian vehicle in the USA. We have no pickups sold from the factory with an aluminum utility tray despite that those are totally normal in other markets.

We have highways with 80mph speed limits in many states and even if there's only a small sweep of the needle between 60 and 80 on your gauge cluster the amount of kinetic energy (nearly) doubles and the same thing happens to drag force from less than ideal aerodynamics. In other words a car made to travel 80mph routinely needs to be "twice as good" in all of the metrics concerning force, heat and consumption as it would need to be if 60mph was its usual cruise speed. A LC7x might just not be a very good vehicle at 80mph and I don't think there's any practical way to sell a product in America with a "Hey d**kwad this is a tractor don't drive it like a sports car" warning sticker because Johnny Murrica is inclined to interpret a warning as a dare and then turn around and sue somebody when their own actions bite them.

Likely it's a combination of all of these factors convincing Toyota it's just not the right market for those products.
Filed into the "sad but true" section of the ExPo Archives.

X Terra Firma

My 2014 f-150 svt raptor I picked up used with 49k,xxx miles. Original owner added wheels/tires, bumper and lightbar +pods, Icon 3.0 shocks front and rear along with Icon UCA's but never took it off road :). Here's a few pictures from a quick family trip to Palm Springs from the coast, was pleased to be able to get 18mpg highway with cruise control and quite happy about with the 6.2l. I have a few more things Im working on adding to the truck like a proper first aid setup, radio and camper shell

indian canyon front.jpg
indian canyon rear.jpg
indian canyon hill.jpg

Another older photo camping in Sedona

3.jpg

NMC_EXP

Explorer
because Johnny Murrica is inclined to interpret a warning as a dare and then turn around and sue somebody when their own actions bite them.

If you meant to include me in that category, you're wrong.

For me form ought to follow function. I do not like being enveloped in a cab that is like a cocoon. I do not like to pay for a lot of features I do not need or want. I do not want to pay for wasted/unavailable interior space given the exterior dimensions of the vehicle.

phsycle

Adventurer
If you meant to include me in that category, you're wrong.

For me form ought to follow function. I do not like being enveloped in a cab that is like a cocoon. I do not like to pay for a lot of features I do not need or want. I do not want to pay for wasted/unavailable interior space given the exterior dimensions of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, people like you, meaning, a niche market (spartan utilitarian) of a niche market (overblander), make up nearly zero percent of the buyer market for Toyota. Why do you think they got rid of the Hilux here? Nobody freaking wanted to buy a stiff riding work truck. Good luck getting them to sell a 70-series here.

PS - I’m also in that niche/niche category.

Ron B

Explorer
I remember when I bought my hummer in 2005 I was getting flipped off by those every time I drove my truck.
How times changed Now is unbelievable.
now days it’s thumbs up everywhere,

I always expected that living in Los Angeles, though don’t think I have ever seen any ire directed toward me or my truck since I got it in 2004. I think the secret is actually using it, and not washing it ;-)

I usually keep the top off during the cooler months here and on at least three occasions have had people walk up to me in the truck and ask what kind of Jeep it was — I had to point at the Hummer logo to prove it was what I said it was. Don’t think they often see any with the top off let alone covered in dirt/brushrake.

by the way nice rescue Eric! I don’t often venture out alone but definitely wouldn’t without a winch/pull pal and some jack or device to help if high centered (airjack is good to have)

HUMMER/Expeditions

I tried to use off road trials to cross INYO mountain range towards Death Valley, the trail has not been used for many years, wind and erosion accumulated tons of soft sand
I got stuck in deep sand and took me few hours to recover myself.
I had plan A . B .C D and F
But plan A, using maxtrax and plan B lowering tire pressure to 15 psi did the job and I got out.
Unfortunately most of the day was gone and didn’t get the chance to cross the mountain range.
>We Will Be Back <
F9D87BF6-A09F-46D1-8E95-782F49A2ED5E.jpeg77FCE6A5-A7B1-4B75-9938-4B02BF27025E.jpeg73D35B64-151B-4DEA-B9F5-EF7AD01E7685.jpeg426F745D-9F14-4A2F-8643-C2E3785429FE.jpeg52DC36E0-8296-46E1-8AEB-8406E9BF98D5.jpegF52EE60B-1914-4BD4-A50C-67BDB32D2F29.jpegB1155E70-B6C9-4E16-8056-8A8DFC14512B.jpeg

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The shop I use dialed in a botched Duramax transplant in a Hummer. The guy who corrected everything was a Hummer mechanic in the Marines.
I would imagine they'd be quick.

HUMMER/Expeditions

There is video on YouTube Duramax hummer racing against early 2000s Porsche, beats the Porsche. In 1/4 mile race.
I would think that duramax puts out 1000lb torque to move 7000lb truck 12 second 1/4 mile.

For overland travel 6.5 TD is just perfect.
Clunk clunk slow but simple and cheap in parts.
When I bought the engine it had 22.000 miles on it, now I have 1200 hours on hour meter, no more ODO.

before and after pictures of the truck.
Truck went to Kuwait in 1991 and came back, it’s an actual war veteran truck ?
It was all written Arabic on it.
Serial number 4600, one of the first humvees made in 1985.
EE665848-02BE-40C6-B430-A96D0CD1745B.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles