Lets see some full size pictures...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks Scott, but I'm leaning towards a higher GVWR truck. So a new(er) super duty, or pushing all the way to a 450/550 cab chassis.

With the plan to full-time things eventually, Id like to have a considerable payload margin to work with.

A new(er) 7.3 would be a vast improvement in ride and comfort, but from a GVWR/payload standpoint, I wouldn't be gaining much.

jrod420

Observer
My buddy sports a 2006 F450 with a deck. He carrys a top model Arctic Fox with slides. Tows a 30 foot enclosed toybox behind it. The truck is a built 6.0 and is flawless, tows like nobody's business, awesome mileage. The two hour drive we make to camp I will use a full tank, he will use 1/8. I only tow 2 quads on a small trailer. He likes the 450 for the handling and control over the onboard weight and the towed weight.

b9ev

Adventurer
This falls under offroading more than overlanding as my oldest daughter and I only had a few hours to get out of the city but we had fun. Cedro Peak "stairs" on our way to FR13 which is very narrow for a fullsize. The long wheelbase combined with the large tires made it very easy to climb to the top, almost no wheelspin. When you watch most Jeeps that are stock or mild upsize tires they need a bit of speed and bouncing.

20170520_160106_zpsfk3wtone.jpg

20170520_160142_zpszb8lqtq5.jpg

20170520_160156_zpsb1qn7o23.jpg

20170520_160337_zps9htqpglc.jpg

46f5b24b-0459-413f-804d-1cd81d63d2c2_zpsgjvpldgk.jpg

BLOOSE

So may cool ideas and information!

I tell my wife Im not building a expedition vehicle, but pretty much I am.

Besides General maintenance, Upgrades so far are rear disc brake conversion from Lugnut 4x4 and a 38gal rear tank from LMC, which combined with the side tank give me a fuel capacity of 57gallons.

IMG_2252.jpg

I recently picked up this old, camper that I have plans up fix up.

IMG_1160.jpg

Thanks for everyone posting your pictures it's given me motivation and the reason I signed up for this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
So may cool ideas and information!

I tell my wife Im not building a expedition vehicle, but pretty much I am.

Besides General maintenance, Upgrades so far are rear disc brake conversion from Lugnut 4x4 and a 38gal rear tank from LMC, which combined with the side tank give me a fuel capacity of 57gallons.

View attachment 402132

I recently picked up this old, camper that I have plans up fix up.

View attachment 402133

Thanks for everyone posting your pictures it's given me motivation and the reason I signed up for this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a beauty! Welcome to the site.

Chattanooga6.7

2008 Dodge 2500 6.7 Diesel, HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, BFG AT 35's, Anarchy EFI Live, 5" TBE w/ muffler, S&B CAI, Grid Heater Delete (among other things), GDP S3 Intake Horn

Soft Topper for a more tent/Jeep like experience (JK, couldn't bring myself to spend $3k on an ARE topper), Teton ultra-lite cot (so that the tailgate will close, what a nightmare) coupled with a Thermarest Trail Scout sleeping pad and Kelty 20+ bag make this more comfortable than my bed at home. Typically sleep with a shade tent with attached bug net that covers the entire truck bed and slides between cab and bed. 2, 6D battery powered fans make it a fairly tolerable summer rig

Just now getting comfortable with the sleeping set up, have been using a cheapo privacy shelter/shower for bathroom needs but I've joined up here to find roof rack ideas that will fit around my current soft topper (which sits to the extreme inside of the bed rails) and will hopefully be sturdy enough to one day support a RTT/ rack full of water, supplies, tools, whatever my heart desires.

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

A terrible picture of finally finding the correct cot that would fit length ways and also not put me too far above the side rail

IMG_0790.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles